Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: vorbis-tools 1.2.0 (Read 19412 times) previous topic - next topic

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Just a heads-up that Xiph has just released vorbis-tools 1.2.0.  The new version includes a tremendous amount of bug fixes and a few new features.  Check the full changelog in the announcement message.
Join //spreadopenmedia.com to promote Opus, Vorbis, FLAC, etc

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #1
Just a heads-up that Xiph has just released vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Thanks ... but it's source only ... waiting for "unofficial" (?) binaries

It might be a good idea to add release dates into the table, and make the binaries more visible

And, even worse, OGGENC and OGGDEC should get renamed into VORENC and VORDEC ... they are still not renamed in the 1.2.0 sources

Saoshyant wrote:

For the last time, it is not "OGG". Please stop that. It causes a lot of problems.
/\/\/\/\/\/\

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #2
Hey guys, this won't be news next week.  Shouldn't this have been validated by now?  vorbis-tools is the official suite of applications from Xiph, and version 1.2.0 has some radical changes, not to mention the last version was released almost 4 years ago.  This makes it a good news article.

Thanks ... but it's source only ... waiting for "unofficial" (?) binaries

If it's win32 binaries you're looking for...

And, even worse, OGGENC and OGGDEC should get renamed into VORENC and VORDEC

Er, no.  You realize how many applications that rely on those files having those names would be broken?  The names suck.  It's likely because at the start oggenc was supposed to encode more than Vorbis, etc, which didn't turn out to be reality, and now there's no way to rename it or we have to kiss goodbye to backwards-compatibility.  ogg123 does play more than just Vorbis; Speex and FLAC work great if you have the libraries installed.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #3
Yes, it would be nice to have some kind of a "distribution-package" for the binaries with licence.txt etc.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #4
I will be posting a full set of new compiles of all the oggvorbis executables, oggenc2, my oggdec and oggdropXPd, reflecting the current SVN and taking account of the vorbis-tools1.2.0 changes over the course of this weekend. 

Sorry it's taken a while, but there was quite a lot to check through.

Edit: Where appropriate, they've also been compiled against FLAC 1.2.1.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #5

http://xiph.binera.de/snapshots/vorbis-tools/2008-03-11/

Thanks.

Some problems, however:

- Versioning chaos, © incomplete/not updated/confusing ... old known problem of "OGG vs Vorbis" binaries
- It raises a DLL hell ... previous version from John33 didn't
- OGGDEC doesn't work ... while OGGENC does  OGGDEC ends up with a page fault or hangs if there is a source file to decode ...

I will be posting a full set of new compiles of all the oggvorbis executables, oggenc2, my oggdec and oggdropXPd, reflecting the current SVN and taking account of the vorbis-tools1.2.0 changes over the course of this weekend.

Thanks

Sorry it's taken a while

NO problem.

Could you please care about user info and the ©'s ? IMHO, since they are compiled from 3 ( three ) source packages, they should reveal the versions of all those, something like:

Code: [Select]
OGGENC | OGG Vorbis audio encoder | Win32 version compiled from libogg 1.2.3 + libvorbis 4.5.6 + vorbistools 7.8.9 using GCC 5.0.0 (MinGW32) by John33 2008-Mar-16
(C) 2008 by
... ... ...
/\/\/\/\/\/\

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #6
New versions posted. 

Since discerning the current versions of the component modules can be somewhat of a problem, ALL posted versions have been compiled using the SVN as of today's date.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #7
New versions posted.

Thanks.

+ Both OGGENC and OGGDEC updated, + the other stuff
+ Both do work (minimal test only)
+ Both have the SVN date
+ OGGDEC © updated to 2008

- OGGENC still ©'ed to 2005
- OGGDEC needs a valid input file to reveal the date
- The amount of info could be a bit more

One related (?) question: where can I download the INTEGER version of Vorbis codec source ?

http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/Tremor/

Is there a package available or does one really have to download all the files separately ?
/\/\/\/\/\/\

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #8
Thank you very much for your efforts, john33.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #9
Thaks for the job John33.

Interested in multichannel encode please comment my post

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #10
John, can you post a diff on whatever changes you made in oggdec (and other tools from the package) in Xiph's Trac?  You mentioned above an own version of oggdec, so I assume there are differences likely worth to port into the main trunk.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #11
John, can you post a diff on whatever changes you made in oggdec (and other tools from the package) in Xiph's Trac?  You mentioned above an own version of oggdec, so I assume there are differences likely worth to port into the main trunk.

Actually, my oggdec pre-dates the 'official' version by quite some time. the differences, at a quick guess, are probably in the region of 90%!! I'm not really sure that a 'diff' would be relevant as there really are almost no similarities. The source code is on Rarewares, so feel free to take a look and do with it as you wish.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #12
Actually, my oggdec pre-dates the 'official' version by quite some time. the differences, at a quick guess, are probably in the region of 90%!! I'm not really sure that a 'diff' would be relevant as there really are almost no similarities. The source code is on Rarewares, so feel free to take a look and do with it as you wish.

Oh.  Ha ha ha, I wasn't aware of that.  Thanks for the info, though.  I'll be looking into it.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #13
One related (?) question: where can I download the INTEGER version of Vorbis codec source ?

Is there a package available or does one really have to download all the files separately ?

It appears a source package was never made available.  If this is true (I'll look into this), one will be made available ASAP.  Hey, we do listen to our fans!  Meanwhile, here's a temporary tarball for you.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #16

It appears a source package was never made available.  If this is true (I'll look into this), one will be made available ASAP.  Hey, we do listen to our fans!  Meanwhile, here's a temporary tarball for you.

As the resident unofficial self-appointed historian of Vorbis at Hydrogenaudio (phew), I can tell you that Tremor had been available as tarballs, at least before the transition to SVN.

edit:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/tremor/2004-June/001029.html

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #17

Thanks.  Please add it here occasionally: http://xiph.org/downloads/

Is it up-to-date ? Seems to be from 2002  Tried to compile but all compilers get upset on this line:

LOOKUP_T *window[2]={window_p[0],window_p[1]};

in WINDOW.C  What is it supposed to do ? "LOOKUP_T" evaluates to UINT32 ... but all compilers cry for "constant needed" (actually 2x on the very same line) ... my bug ? No idea what I could have broken here  Any sugg how to rewrite / fix this line ?

Adding w32 binaries for latest version of vorbis-tools. Thanks to Sebastian for compiling and fixing the VS files.

Regrettably the bugs I mentioned 10 days ago are not fixed  ... the © and version are still outdated, and OGGDEC still raises a PF. However OGGENC works, as well as John33's OGGDEC does.

Nobody complains except me ... either it works for all the other people, or nobody else did test ...
/\/\/\/\/\/\

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #18
Is it up-to-date ? Tried to compile but all compilers get upset

It is up to date.  It may not work in non-GCC compilers, though.  Try using cygwin.  Remember, though, that Tremor is nothing but a template to be modified by case to case, since HW players are very different between each others.  It's not intended for PC users, and you do not get better quality by using a fixed-point implementation of a floating-point format.

the © and version are still outdated

You understand that that is not a big issue, right?  The versioning was broken in the Visual Studio files, though.  It's fixed on SVN.

and OGGDEC still raises a PF

This is a problem, though, but I have no idea what's wrong here.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #19
It is up to date.  It may not work in non-GCC compilers, though.  Try using cygwin.  Remember, though, that Tremor is nothing but a template to be modified by case to case

Yeah ... that's what I assumed / expected ...

you do not get better quality by using a fixed-point implementation of a floating-point format.

No, I just prefer integers

> >  the © and version are still outdated
> You understand that that is not a big issue, right?

YES ... I'm just sensitive to such bugs .. and today someone else reported the exactly same bug into Xiph's Trac

This is a problem, though, but I have no idea what's wrong here.

OK ... to get fixed occasionally, we have John33's binaries also

LOOKUP_T *window[2]={window_p[0],window_p[1]};

in WINDOW.C What is it supposed to do ? "LOOKUP_T" evaluates to UINT32 ... but all compilers cry for "constant needed" (actually 2x on the very same line) ... my bug ? No idea what I could have broken here Any sugg how to rewrite / fix this line ?
/\/\/\/\/\/\

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #20
Does this include any of Aoyumi's AoTuV code, beyond the merge that occured with the release of Vorbis 1.1.0?

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #21
Does this include any of Aoyumi's AoTuV code, beyond the merge that occured with the release of Vorbis 1.1.0?

AFAIK, vorbis tools 1.2.0 is supposed to be based on oggenc 1.2, which was said to have none of the newer Aoyumi's code. So the answer in my guess is negative. But I request a conformation from someone.

vorbis-tools 1.2.0

Reply #22
The aoTuV stuff is only located in Aoyumi's modified libvorbis.  You see it in his oggenc because it's built against the library.  The Xiph oggenc relies on whatever libvorbis that exists on your system, be it the aoTuV one or not.  It's a bit more complicated than that, but let's leave it at it.

In short, you will see the latest tunings be merged somewhere after libvorbis 1.2.1.  libvorbis 1.2.1 itself will be seeing the light of the day in a few days.