Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.33 Released (Read 18060 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.33 Released

Changelog

Download

Winamp Essentials Pack v5.33

EDIT: Replaced changelog with link to it.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #1
Well. The "Unicodification" of Winamp comes along

Most - if not all - audio quality related issues have been ironed out for the last few releases and the transcoding features make the suite very complete.

There are only few things to complain about left. 

Suggestions?

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #2

Suggestions?

While the back end side of the player has very little to desire (except better performance with very large libraries of >20,000 items maybe), on the GUI side there's still loads of work to do. Yes, everything can be customized, but the default layout is a mess, esp the tiny font on high-res screens are terrible. My suggestion: have the option for other skins under an "advanced" menu and on installation, offer the user three views:

- the current classic/modern Winamp skin, with the separate dockable player/playlist/library panels
- single gui, library-centered view like iTunes/WMP (perhaps using the "Winamp 2006" skin)
- "10-foot" fullscreen DX9-rendered GUI like FrontRow/Media Center/MediaPortal: optimized for big screen viewing, large fonts, navigation by remote.

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #3

Most - if not all - audio quality related issues have been ironed out for the last few releases and the transcoding features make the suite very complete.

Suggestions?
Chapter support for enhanced podcasts.
Do not taunt audiophiles; they may bite.

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #5

Suggestions?

I'm a bit unhappy with the Alt+3 FLAC file infos. Unlike Vorbis they don't display any special fields saved in the Vorbis comments. Is there any special reason why the developers don''t simply use the same GUI for both formats?

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #6
I hope Winamp adds support for the new bugfixes and speed improvements in FLAC 1.1.4.

See Josh's thread at about thye new FLAC 1.1.4 release:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=52691

since the winamp flac decoder is based on flake, there is not too much need for it. I suspect that many of the speed optimizations in 1.1.4 are backportet to the official flac from flake.

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #7

I hope Winamp adds support for the new bugfixes and speed improvements in FLAC 1.1.4.

See Josh's thread at about thye new FLAC 1.1.4 release:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=52691

since the winamp flac decoder is based on flake, there is not too much need for it. I suspect that many of the speed optimizations in 1.1.4 are backportet to the official flac from flake.

I think only the 'encoder' is Flake. The decoder I believe it FLAC 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 libFLAC based. So that is why I asked for a 1.1.4 update to Winamp to fix the buggies and speedup things.

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #8
yes, it's based on the 1.1.2 source and considering the other work done on the media library i don't think upgrading the flac plugin would have been considered for this release (especially with 1.1.4 being released on the same day as the new winamp). i'm sure a newer in_flac will appear, it's just a matter of time/resources to get it done that's the issue. give things a bit of patience and i'm sure something will be provided

-daz

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #9
...on the GUI side there's still loads of work to do. Yes, everything can be customized, but the default layout is a mess, esp the tiny font on high-res screens are terrible.

OTOH I hope they'll never change much the classic look. It's a question of familiarity, not ergonimics per se - I haven't yet encountered a person that wanted to play music on my computer and didn't know how to use Winamp (when you think about it...many of HiFi/minitower audio systems don't have great interface either)

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #10

Suggestions?
Chapter support for enhanced podcasts.

Support for writing Apple's enhanced podcast data would get me to install Winamp after several years of not using it. There is not a single app for Windows nor Linux that can do this that I found. I can't imagine it's that arcane, but it would be great to have an app that could do this.

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #11
The changelog link only displayes changelogs on 5.32 and earlier versions, not 5.33.
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #12
The changelog link only displayes changelogs on 5.32 and earlier versions, not 5.33.
Yup, Nullsoft ain't updated it yet, anyway you can see the changes in the forum post accessible via the download link.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #13
Hi, here is the change log from Winamp's about window 

Code: [Select]
Winamp 5.33
* Improved: [gen_ml] unicode tree item title support
* Improved: [NDE] speed optimizations
* Improved: [ml_history] localized dates
* Improved: [ml_local] Unicode media library support
* Improved: [ml_playlists] now uses m3u8 to retain unicode file info
* Improved: [ml_playlists] playlists in send-to submenu
* Improved: [ml_pmp] playback-from-device of unicode filenames
* Improved: [ml_wire] moved discover page to main page
* Improved: [pmp_p4s] auto-detection of supported file formats
* Fixed: playlist directory loading fix (again)
* Fixed: recursive playlist loading
* Fixed: video lockup when switching video display settings
* Fixed: HTML playlist generation
* Fixed: temp file cleanup after burning
* Fixed: Alt+L from video window
* Fixed: fullscreen video display drawing glitch
* Fixed: recursive shortcut loading
* Fixed  ASX Loader not reading local relative paths correctly
* Fixed: [gen_ml] & needs expanding to && for any menu entries showing filenames
* Fixed: [in_cdda] crash on exit when ejecting CD
* Fixed: [in_flac] not saving genres.txt in multiuser directory
* Fixed: [in_mp3] create id3v2 tag when writing album artist
* Fixed: [in_mp3] workaround for id3v2.4 tags with badly formatted frame sizes
* Fixed: [in_vorbis] writing blank metadata instead of erasing
* Fixed: [in_wave] sometimes not remembering custom extensions
* Fixed: [in_wm] stack overflow on hi-def multichannel audio with replaygain enabled
* Fixed: [in_wm] File Info editor album artist not saving
* Fixed: [ml_local] Modern skin pledit winshade 'Manage Playlist' button bug
* Fixed: [ml_local] ignoring files with ellipsis (...)
* Fixed: [ml_local] editing disc via 'edit selected items'
* Fixed: [ml_local] sorting fix
* Fixed: [ml_local] ratings menu
* Fixed: [ml_local] crash when sorting by replaygain
* Fixed: [ml_local] deadlock when retrieving title to guess metadata
* Fixed: [ml_local] no longer causes unicode files in playlist to display ?????
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] time column and 'status' in statusbar
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] send-to another playlist makes playlist file appear rather than contents
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] <trackartist>
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Metadata showing as -1
* Fixed: [ml_rg] multi-channel files being calculated incorrectly
* Fixed: [ml_transcode] bad/missing metadata on transcoded files
* Fixed: [ml_transcode] error on overly long filenames ("can't open destination file")
* Fixed: [ml_wire] podcasts that change titles not updating properly
* Fixed: [pmp_p4s] mass storage devices showing as Plays For Sure devices in Vista
* Fixed: [vis_milk] multi-user issues
* Updated: [enc_aacplus] Coding Technologies aacPlus encoder 8.0.3
* Updated: [enc_flac] Flake r117
* Updated: [gen_jumpex] Jump to File Extension 0.97.11

Winamp 5.33 Released

Reply #14
as sad as it is to say, going off the main site for the changelog shouldn't be relied upon and the build thread in the forums should be the main point of reference for anything to do with changelogs (and any other extra information pertaining to that build of winamp).

isn't helped that some site updates really messed up things over the site's servers (hence why it's still showing 5.32 despite 5.33 being pushed to the site when it was released - i believe most of the servers were rolled back to the older versions whilst things are fixed)

-daz