Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to unprotect WMA files? (Read 36127 times) previous topic - next topic

How to unprotect WMA files?

Hello....

I know... this is not a forum for WMA format, but I've got a big problem... I have some CDs with WMA files, and I don't know how to unprotect them...

Can you help me?

Regards,

miooh.

Reply #1
Hola!

It depends...

But usually it will be almost impossible unless you use a program like "Total Recorder" to create a WAV file out of the WMA file.

You may be lucky and find some webpage that helps you out... Try doing a search on Google.com about "WMA unprotect".

That's all I can say following the forum guidelines, I think

But the first result in the search may be of help ; o)

Best wishes from Valencia (by the Mediterranean Sea in Spain / España)...

Reply #2
Quite a while ago (september 2001) a utility called FreeMe circled over the net. The anonymous author was "Beale Screamer".
I do not know with which WMA versions it works.
[edit] Here   is a link. The file 657.zip is the one you need.
Under the restriction that you only use it for legal purposes

Reply #3
Quite a while ago (september 2001) a utility called FreeMe circled over the net. The ananymous author was "Beale Screamer".

This program was quite a nice piece of elliptic curve cryptography by the way :-P

Reply #4
I've got a big problem... I have some CDs with WMA files, and I don't know how to unprotect them...

You could try the alternative WMA plugins, they can bypass a DRM protection or something (don't know for sure).

Available at RareWares: http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/others.html

Reply #5
With my interest, i did some test.
First, i  run freeme.exe myfile.wma, it said: Couldn't find a valid license for this content.
Second, i replaced the original WMA plugins(winamp2.81) with the alternative one, winamp doesn't work any more.

Reply #6
Ok, the deal with Freeme is that you need a valid license to be able to play the file in the first place. If you have a valid license, then freeme can strip the protection from the file.

ie. one person in the greater sharing community needs a license for the file, and they need to strip the protection.

of course that would probably be illegal, and therefore bad and evil. therefore I in no way condone such actions. etc etc.

gnoshi
happiness comes in brown paper bags.

Reply #7
thank you very much for your replays , I tried FreeMe and Unfuck, but it doesn't work, I tried Alternative Plugin... without any result... I'll be looking for new software.... and this is my last replay for this topic, because we can't talk about unprotecting any formats....

Regards,

miooh

Reply #8
If you don't have the license, you can't unencrypt the audio.  You could try brute-forcing it, but a 160-bit key is going to take you many thousands of years, perhaps longer.

There is no way around this that I know of.

-h

Reply #9
I know this topic is from a while ago but I hit the same problem recently.

If, like me, you have lost the original CD (which you paid for), and now have protected wma files on your PC and would like to have as MP3 to for example.....import into iTunes.....then why not use Windows media player to burn a disc...then import this new disc into iTunes. (Ensure your iTunes encoder is set to MP3)

Works for me 

Cheers,
Muddy

Reply #10
I know this topic is from a while ago but I hit the same problem recently.

If, like me, you have lost the original CD (which you paid for), and now have protected wma files on your PC and would like to have as MP3 to for example.....import into iTunes.....then why not use Windows media player to burn a disc...then import this new disc into iTunes. (Ensure your iTunes encoder is set to MP3)

Works for me  

Cheers,
Muddy
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364396"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that only works if you HAVE the decryption key... which that person probably lost in a reformat

the solution: don't encrypt your wma files, it's that easy
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #11
drm2wmv happen to be 7 letters i like, if you cared...

google are another 6 letters i like, too.

later