Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC/WavPack CL passthrough for ID3v1/ID3v2/ID3v2.4 tags (Read 7721 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC/WavPack CL passthrough for ID3v1/ID3v2/ID3v2.4 tags

I'd rather use the EAC CL pass-through commands rather than to check off the various tagging boxes to write ID3v1/ID3v2.4 tags to the .wv files.  The wiki only showed APE2 tagging.

Is it possible to have concurrent ID3v1/ID3v2.4/APEv2 tagging or does it cause problems?

I want to be able to quickly convert the tagged .wv files over to mp3 with tagging intact when making custom mixes for portable playing.  The .wv will remain my bit perfect archival file source.

Thanx

Reply #1
I'd rather use the EAC CL pass-through commands rather than to check off the various tagging boxes to write ID3v1/ID3v2.4 tags to the .wv files.  The wiki only showed APE2 tagging.

Is it possible to have concurrent ID3v1/ID3v2.4/APEv2 tagging or does it cause problems?

I want to be able to quickly convert the tagged .wv files over to mp3 with tagging intact when making custom mixes for portable playing.  The .wv will remain my bit perfect archival file source.

Thanx

APEv2 is the standard tagging format for WavPack. ID3v1 is also recognized by most aps, but WavPack will not write them from the command-line. ID3v2 is invalid with WavPack.

It is possible to have APEv2 and ID3v1 on the same file, but most apps will only see the ID3v1 (which must come last). You can do this by specifying both on the command-line and EAC tagging box, but make sure you specify to skip ID3v2. Not really recommended unless you have a specific app that doesn't recognize APEv2.

Reply #2
Even if you don't use it as an audio player, you can use foobar2000 to convert your WavPack files with APEv2 to MP3 with ID3v2.4+ID3v1 without problems.

If i'm not mistaken, you can also use TAG to read the tags from your tagged files and write them to your untagged files.
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #3
Even if you don't use it as an audio player, you can use foobar2000 to convert your WavPack files with APEv2 to MP3 with ID3v2.4+ID3v1 without problems.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also use TAG to read the tags from your tagged files and write them to your untagged files.
I clicked all the EAC tagging boxes when I ripped an album to .wv files and it seems to have tags.  Will WavPack refuse to allow the ID3v2/ID3v2.4 tagging that EAC tries to pass to it?  If so then the tags present are only ID3v1.

Since I have Mp3tag v2.36, will that suffice to pass the .wv APE2 tags over as ID3v1/ID3v2 tags to the mp3 files after the conversion?

foobar 0.9.2 is my player so I'll have to learn more about that feature.

Reply #4
i really don't know what happens with the id3v2 tags eac passes, it might even corrupt your file.
imo you should use only the standard tagging for each format, in the case of wavpack apev2, that way you can be sure your files will always be compatible with properly implemented decoders.
Since I have Mp3tag v2.36, will that suffice to pass the .wv APE2 tags over as ID3v1/ID3v2 tags to the mp3 files after the conversion?
i never used mp3tag, but if it can read the apev2 tags from wavpack files i think that will suffice
[off-topic]
foobar 0.9.2 is my player so I'll have to learn more about that feature.
you can be sure that foobar will read/write the proper tags for each format, this is done transparently for you after you convert from one format to another or copy the tags from one file to another.
if you spend a little time trying to learn it, you'll see that foobar has a LOT more to offer than just audio playing
[/off-topic]
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

Reply #5
I clicked all the EAC tagging boxes when I ripped an album to .wv files and it seems to have tags.  Will WavPack refuse to allow the ID3v2/ID3v2.4 tagging that EAC tries to pass to it?  If so then the tags present are only ID3v1.

EAC doesn't pass the ID3v2 tags to WavPack. For both the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, EAC adds them itself after the file is complete. So, if you tell EAC to add the ID3v2, these may corrupt the WavPack file. You should verify any WavPack files created this way. But adding ID3v1 is okay because they always go on the end of the file and WavPack ignores anything tacked on the end (or the front) of a file.

Reply #6
Well I won't be adding any unsupported tagging to my .wv files from now on just to be safe.  There's no point in going lossless while risking file corruption tagging them.

This is the wiki cmd I used for this last rip:

-w "Artist=%a" -w "Title=%t" -w "Album=%g" -w "Year=%y" -w "Track=%n" -w "Genre=%m" -h %s %d

-h was what the wiki recommended but the WavPack site had lots of options I need to understand.

Thanx for taking the time to answer my questions 

Reply #7
This is a thread in which the very helpful Martin gives a good explanation about the commandline parameters for WavPack in EAC.

Reply #8
This is a thread in which the very helpful Martin gives a good explanation about the commandline parameters for WavPack in EAC.
-m = compute & store MD5 signature of raw audio data
-h = high quality (best compression in all modes, but slower)

Thanx for that link.  So it looks like I'll settle on this cmdline based on http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack_doc.html and your link.

-w "Artist=%a" -w "Title=%t" -w "Album=%g" -w "Year=%y" -w "Track=%n" -w "Genre=%m" -hm %s %d

I now have four EAC profiles;  LAME & WavPack for each of my two drives.  This makes it very quick to switch between WavPack or LAME.  Not all my CDs are good enough to warrant ripping to WavPack.

Thanx a lot guys