Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Request: Close to tray (Read 21431 times) previous topic - next topic

Request: Close to tray

There is an option to minimize to the system tray which is great, but can the same functionality be applied to the close as well like in uTorrent. Would just need a new right click menu item of exit. Easy to do and would give more choice to the user.

Reply #1
I don't want to sound rude but...

What's wrong with the "Minimize" button..?   

I have no idea why people want this...

Reply #2
The reason is that many many application like uTorrent and Outlook have the OPTION to close to the tray. This is just increasing the choices available to the user and it is very easy to implement. Not asking for an embedded stream ripper here and yes, there is something wrong with the minimize button 

Reply #3
I'd say you'd be more likely to find an embedded stream ripper included into foobar, since it would at least be something functional, rather than a non-functional option that's sole purpose is to obfuscate the function of a button.

More options != always better.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
I'd say you'd be more likely to find an embedded stream ripper included into foobar, since it would at least be something functional, rather than a non-functional option that's sole purpose is to obfuscate the function of a button.

More options != always better.

Cant you see how much more work it is, to move the mouse a few pixels more to the left to acutally minimise the application to tray?

Reply #5
Personally, I think the whole 'close to tray' phenomenon is a blight upon the landscape of programming everywhere, and should be excised from the universe of computing forthwith. When I hit 'close', I want the program to, I don't know, close, maybe! If I wanted it minimized, I'd have hit minimize.

So, uh, call that a -1 to this suggestion if you want. Although, on second thought, don't, because I hate +1/-1 as a notation for 'I endorse/do not endorse this product and/or service', too.

Wow, I'm grumpy this morning.

Reply #6
I also don't see how someone is significantly inconvenienced by not letting the Close button minimize to tray, but I do feel that the tray feature can use some work:

- The tray icon should always focus foobar. It now functions as a task bar button in terms of left-clicks. Since the icon doesn't carry any information about Foobar's windows state, a click on it is essentially unpredictable.
- The taskbar button is sort of redundant when foobar is displayed in the tray.

Reply #7
- The taskbar button is sort of redundant when foobar is displayed in the tray.
Not true. The presence of the taskbar button is related to being able to Alt+Tab to foobar2000. On the other hand, the icon in the notification area is required for the balloon tooltip on song change. So as you can see, these two things serve different purposes.

Reply #8
The taskbar button isn't required for Alt+Tab switching between application windows (an example that it works without it is for example Total Commander), so it is sort of redundant.

Reply #9
I suppose my request in a sense comes down to "yo make it more like the winamp does it plx thx", except Winamp also doesn't allow alt+tab switching when in exclusive tray mode, even though it's not a problem for Windows apps.

But regardless of choice of functioning, it's still undesirable that a tray icon click has unpredictable results unless you look at the task bar first. So while taskbar button redundancy is debatable, I think a tray icon click should always focus foobar.

Reply #10
Personally, I think the whole 'close to tray' phenomenon is a blight upon the landscape of programming everywhere, and should be excised from the universe of computing forthwith. When I hit 'close', I want the program to, I don't know, close, maybe! If I wanted it minimized, I'd have hit minimize.

Perfect example would be last.fm app - every time I want to close it I end up clicking close button and then selecting exit from try menu because application didn't close actually. Every damn time :|

Reply #11
The taskbar button isn't required for Alt+Tab switching between application windows (an example that it works without it is for example Total Commander), so it is sort of redundant.

That's not the whole truth. Here is what's said about this "restore from tray":
Important: You can switch to Total Commander with ALT+TAB even if it's shown in the System Tray (which is normally NOT possible). However, under WinNT {and newer…} you need to press ENTER after releasing the ALT key in order to restore Total Commander.

Reply #12
Yeah, close to tray is pretty useless IMO : If you want to minimize just hit the minimize button !

An if you absolutely need to have both "minimize" and "send to tray", a better approach would be to do it like eMule does : Four buttons in the title bar instead of the usual 3 (send to tray, minimize, maximize, close). I Don't know if it's better programming-wise since it may be some kind of hack (I don't know really), but it certainly seems like a better idea as far as consistency and UI is concerned.

Reply #13
It's probably interesting for people with tourette syndrome.

Reply #14
i just don't understand why everybody on this forum starts spitting when someone requests for a close to tray option.
i agree with the request, so +1 for me!

hell, if there was such an option and you didn't like it, you should just DISABLE it...not rant about it...from my POV, the more options, the better!

two of my three favourite apps have this option: miranda im and utorrent (foobar2k doesn't), and i love that option!
and in that case, the close button DOES what it's supposed to: it CLOSES the window.

i absolutely agree that it can be irritating when the app doesn't do what you expect it to do, but like i said, if you don't want it, you can just uncheck that option! i mean, it's like adding (no, actually copying) a few lines of the code...

and minimize to tray is no good for me because i sometimes want to MINIMIZE the window so that i can still see what song is playing in the taskbar...

Reply #15
and minimize to tray is no good for me because i sometimes want to MINIMIZE the window so that i can still see what song is playing in the taskbar...

At any rate, I agree that the current blend of minimize and show in tray has some handiness issues.

It's one of those details that crop up now that FB as a whole is largely polished.

Reply #16
Why not use a tool like DM2 for this purpose. With this tool you can define, how the window of an applications behaves when clicking on the system buttons with the right or middle mouse button, including minimize to tray. You will get this functionality for any application not only for fb2k.

Reply #17
Why not use a tool like DM2 for this purpose. With this tool you can define, how the window of an applications behaves when clicking on the system buttons with the right or middle mouse button, including minimize to tray. You will get this functionality for any application not only for fb2k.

I tried it today and it seems like a good idea but after a while playing with it, it caused my pc to stall. A similar application served me good for a while, but it also had some stability issues.

Reply #18
That's bad. I'm using DM2 now for several years on different computers and had never such problems.

Reply #19
This is very simple.

People want this feature because in fact it has become sort of a standard for 1 main reason:

Services

The people requesting this love treating certain apps as clients & services (shouldn't be too hard for you elitists to understand).

Like how some antivirus engines will run even after you close the client interface which is used to access certain features.

The same idea is what people want for Foobar.

The tray icon represents the service, always running when you are playing music.

The foobar window represents the client to these people (myself included)

This would be best for finding tracks, picking playlists etc. But once that has already been completed, they want to "Close" the interface/client, while keeping the music in the background.

Identical to how people use MSN, uTorrent, etc.

Further more you people are complaining about standards and bad code. This is standards and bad code for an OS designed by a company who actually use those practices (MSN). So that logic is moot. Use *Nix if you actually want to go away from MS' creation. Since you are not, why not use some of the standards they are creating?

Is it REALLY that difficult to have an option (OFF by default) that allows you to close to tray?

Will this inconvenience any of the people complaining? not at all.

Given that there are very popular examples, I don't think this is too much to ask.

further more, I think it's kinda sad when people think its "bad code" regardless of the actual usability of it.

Is it really just as easy to click the minimize button as it is the X button? if so then why did MS put the X button on the furthest top right corner? Making it the easiest thing to access on a full screen window. That and the start menu. Clearly its drastically easier to access.

Third party applications nor plugins should really be required for this as the minimize to tray functionality is already implemented. There is a trigger to minimize to tray when you press minimize. Why can't a trigger for the close button be implemented as well as a feature. Minimize to tray is already an option with a check box I assume because not only do some people want it, others do not. This is also the case for this feature request.

to be honest, this rant comes out of seeing at 5 posts with identical retarded responses. This is exactly how client & services should work. uTorrent, MSN and lots of other apps use this. Virtually ALL chat programs I have ever used have this feature. When you "close" your list, you are not closing the program. Just the list. this is what we want here. To close the mp3 picker interface, but not the program playing the music. IS that really hard to grasp?

It's not bad code if conceptually you are still closing the window.

Reply #20
I will say the same thing I said almost 2 years ago... (wow.. that's quite a long time ago!)

What's wrong with using "Minimize to notification area" option in foobar and using the Minimize button? 

Reply #21
Probably trigger memory, from using so many other applications that minimize to taskbar and close to notification area.

Reply #23
The "bad" thing with having the close-button minimizing is that you don't know if a program will exit or just minimize.

Would be better if you could right click on the minimize-button instead.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #24
The "bad" thing with having the close-button minimizing is that you don't know if a program will exit or just minimize.

Would be better if you could right click on the minimize-button instead.

No one is suggesting this be on by default. Just an option. As it was pointed out the close button is drastically easier to reach.

You will know because you would have to activate the option.

Foobar is for power users. I am a power user requesting this feature as it will speed up my use of this program.

All you people  complaining;would a feature off by default really offend you this much?