Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HOW TO: Rating Songs In Foobar (Read 87444 times) previous topic - next topic

HOW TO: Rating Songs In Foobar

Reply #25
Have i understood correctly that this information is saved in the file itself so even if i move the file to another computer etc i can still se my rating (If i have the same script on that computer)

Yes you have.  It's saved as a custom tag called RATING, which can be read by any other playing program that can read tags.

Reply #26
Perfect thanks

Reply #27
It seems that this dosen't work that good with flac files, anyone else having problem with flac files?

Reply #29
Hi there,
  nice tutorial.

Updating ratings for FLACs works fine (the rating can be seen in other programs, such as Tag&Rename), however, when updating an mp3 rating this is not updated when viewed in tag&rename (ie. the "real" metadata/tag).

Odd.

Reply #30
Hi there,
  nice tutorial.

Updating ratings for FLACs works fine (the rating can be seen in other programs, such as Tag&Rename), however, when updating an mp3 rating this is not updated when viewed in tag&rename (ie. the "real" metadata/tag).

Odd.

i have noticed it too. it also doesnt shows up in explorer (win7) or in wmp. wonder if this 'tag' is just foobar specific.

Reply #31
Depends on where the rating info is stored in. Its a real mess with ID3...

Windows/WMP stores the rating info in a POPM (Popularimeter) Frame (besides the fact that on windows 7 all existing TXXX Frames gets messed up...).
Tag & Rename uses POPM Frame, too. It adds an additional COMM (Comment) Field with a text info (e. g. "Very Good" for Rating = 4).
foobar2000 does not. It ignores the POPM Frame completely and stores the rating info in a TXXX Frame, that is ignored by Windows/WMP (and i guess Tag & Rename too).

Reply #32
Depends on where the rating info is stored in. Its a real mess with ID3...

Windows/WMP stores the rating info in a POPM (Popularimeter) Frame (besides the fact that on windows 7 all existing TXXX Frames gets messed up...).
Tag & Rename uses POPM Frame, too. It adds an additional COMM (Comment) Field with a text info (e. g. "Very Good" for Rating = 4).
foobar2000 does not. It ignores the POPM Frame completely and stores the rating info in a TXXX Frame, that is ignored by Windows/WMP (and i guess Tag & Rename too).

For some people, writing into the mp3 file is worrying.  However, *if* foobar is going to write into the file, then I suggest that that standard tag POPM is used - see the standard at
http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-2452ec9cf8b4...9e129ff67970852.  There is also a play counter tag described right above. I don't understand why is necessary to do use private tag.  Others at other player forums agree and are also concerned with compatibility between players. - http://getsatisfaction.com/songbird/topics...instead_of_txxx.

iTSFv will apparently copy from itunes' internal database into these tags as well - http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=11095

So, sorry to arrive late to this discussion, but why not support the two standard tags? POPM and PCNT?

Thanks.

Reply #33
foobar2000 DOES write to the file tags, but unfortunately doesn't supports ALL existing frames .
Here's a list of ID3-frames supported by foobar2000: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ID3_Tag_Mapping

I had also liked foobar2000 to support more frames in the past, but i turned over to AAC in the meantime

Reply #34
Cool guide, mate!

Was just looking for a way to add ratings to Foobar. Makes my life so much easier!

Reply #35
when i enter this:
$if(%rating%,$repeat(★,%rating%)$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%rating%)),☆☆☆☆☆)

I am getting this:

It works ok with circles though. Any idea why am i getting this?

Reply #36
some fonts don't support the star symbol...

Reply #37
@Bryter: Use "Arial Unicode MS"

Reply #39
Hello All,

I am requesting some help: I have installed foobar since 2 weeks and still have not succeed to make the rating working 
I thought this post will solve my problem but it does not: When I want to display the rating value (%rating%), I see only ? in my rating column in the playlist. When I edit the song properties, I can see the rating is correctly set. If anybody have an idea to help, I will be greatfull.

Thanks.

Reply #40
i'm guessing you have foo_playcount installed which uses %rating% for it's internal database. if this is the case, you'll need to use

$meta(rating)

to directly access the %rating% tags in your files.

Reply #41
i'm guessing you have foo_playcount installed which uses %rating% for it's internal database. if this is the case, you'll need to use

$meta(rating)

to directly access the %rating% tags in your files.

Waouh, thanks a lot, that was it ! I would not have find this by myself.

One more question: What police shall be used to have nice stars like these:

The stars from arial unicode MS as propose in above posts are not nice, is it possible to set the police for one column only, I would have expect something like below, but does not work:
$repeat($set_font(@Arial Unicode MS,8,)?,$meta(rating))

Reply #42
One more question: What police shall be used to have nice stars [?]

kode54 gave the answer in this thread:
Install East Asian language support and it will substitute the correct font for those characters.

Then you should be able to keep the nice font for text, while automatically using Arial Unicode MS characters for those letters not present in the regular ones.

Reply #43
One more question: What police shall be used to have nice stars [?]

kode54 gave the answer in this thread:
Install East Asian language support and it will substitute the correct font for those characters.

Then you should be able to keep the nice font for text, while automatically using Arial Unicode MS characters for those letters not present in the regular ones.

Yes I did try this one but it requests MS CDs that I do not have and I stopped after getting from the net the 3rd requested file.
I guess there must be a way to use the $set_font command to set a font for a particular field.
Also the stars from Arial Unicode MS are not so nice, the are somehow in italic, that why I was looking for the "nice stars" police.

Reply #44
Also the stars from Arial Unicode MS are not so nice, the are somehow in italic, that why I was looking for the "nice stars" police.

Why don't you use ESPLAYLIST? And all font problems with stars are gone...
Here is the website
Here is the diskussion

Reply #45
Well I got an idea. It would be great if someone could bundle this up into a component so that users don't have to do this every time they reinstall Foobar or reformat their computers.

Reply #46
Is there any way for getting this to work for single file + cue sheet albums?

Reply #47
I've got it working seemingly well but I have 2 problems:

1. I don't get how to make two SEPARATE ratings fields. I get how to make two columns but how do you make it so you can actually tag two separate rating fields? Would you make a column that checks Rating2 (example) and then make an extra set of scripts to set RATING2 to 1/2/3/4/5?
2. This works to tag once but if, for example, I hit to set rating to 3 and then to 5 it'll stay as 3. I found out this is because it tags it to the file in this instance as RATING = 3; 5, if I do this a bunch it'll tag as 3; 5; 4; 2; 1; 5; 4; etc only showing the first value in the column. This can be seen in the properties window. How do I make the scripts OVERWRITE the rating field instead of adding on?

edit:

sorry, realized I should just try #1 and that worked. then realized I was using add instead of set. problems solved!

In case anyone else would care, I rigged mine to easily use an x/10 rating system. Creating two columns, rate1 and rate2. For rate2 I took the code in the OP and changed rating to rating2. Then just do everything else the same, except for the scripts, also add for 1-5 a "set RATING2 = 0", and for 6-10 "set RATING1 = 5" and adjust the "set RATING2 = x" value. I even did something further and made it so I can use 10 stars with 8/10, 9/10, and 10/10 getting 1, 2, or 3 stars and anything 7/10 only with dots. Just do the above but add a RATING3, and when you get to 8 you leave RATING2 = 2 and use RATING3 = 1 and so on. It's fun to toy around with.

Reply #48
Hi all !

I'm a brand new foobar user (already addict !)

Just a little post to thank everyone for your helpfull information, great feature.

Thanks again,
Joël

Reply #49
In case anyone's interested...

I store my ratings in STARS, partly because there isn't likely to be such a tag in any new music I acquire, and partly because it saves having to think about whether the more 'standard' RATING field is stored in foobar's database and/or the mp3 files themselves.

Since the STARS tag doesn't even exist in tracks that I haven't rated at all, I can usefully set it to 0 for tracks that I actually DISLIKE (I prefer to keep whole albums, so I don't actually delete these tracks). I've defined my 'Favourites' autoplaylist contents as %STARS% GREATER 0, and 'Unrated' as NOT %STARS% PRESENT.

My 'All Music' autoplaylist is NOT (%stars% PRESENT AND %stars% EQUAL 0)  -  which is handy because if guests select music from that, I don't have to worry that they'll queue up stuff I don't want to hear.

To make it easy to spot disliked tracks in other playlists such as Library Viewer Selection, I've defined the Playlist View pattern for 'Stars' column as...

$if(%stars%,  $if( $greater(%stars%,0),$repeat($char(9679),%stars%),$char(164)),  $char(32))

...which on my system shows a sort of 'bullet hole thru glass' character for the rubbish I've shot down.