Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: are moderators too harsh and dictatorial over harmless topics? (Read 34601 times) previous topic - next topic

are moderators too harsh and dictatorial over harmless topics?

Reply #50

I got a strike for posting in a configuration thread - Wouldn't it be more appropriate just to delete the post then (the post itself was a helpful answer on another post)?

Sorry but I don't know what a "configuration thread" is. Could someone enlighten me?

They belong to the foobar2000 forum.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #51
Heh, funny read. The irony is that the issues which i had with moderation in the past, was that i considered some of them too altruistic and tolerant in their mentality, lol.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #52
The foobar2000 forums are just hosted on hydrogenaudio. They are not moderated by hydrogenaudio, so whatever happens there, isn't in direct relation to HA.

Overall, I like the way moderation runs here. As stated several times, these forums are about information ( news, resources, technical research/development), and not so much about oppinions.

It is important the way one writes the posts. As much as that some of the TOS require a) posts only in english and b) correct spelling as much as the user is able to (no slangs).

It is possible that if your firsts posts are already close to, or violating any TOS, further moderations on you will be less polite in order to make you aware that you really need to change.
And that's what I believe the OP has experienced.

I don't remember being warn any time, and I sure was in the edge sometimes (starting/continuing flames, or making offensive posts due to being in bad mood) so i don't have a reason to talk agains the moderators.

So resuming: I don't thing the trend is erroneous, and if any concrete case is happening, it has to be taken to other moderators or admins since I don't feel this is more dictatorial than what a democracy is about.

Reply #53
I personally think the moderation here is quite fair. However, I've had issues on some other forums etc. and have found it futile to question the judgements  of mods. They are like the police. Just accept the decision. There is nothing you can do.

Reply #54
reread the TOS.

if you feel like your actions did not violate the rules here then:
1> PM the mod for clarification.
2> if that isn't satisfactory then PM another mod.
3> if that still isn't satisfactory then suck it up and realize you are in the wrong.
4> if you can't do 1-2 then skip directly to 3

notice that there wasn't a "poor me" posting option?

later

Reply #55
-

Reply #56
There is a second bin which can only be viewed by admin and mods; nothing gets deleted here.  If some of your posts "disappeared" then it was determined that they provided no benefit to this forum.

EDIT: I guess you aren't reading all the responses to this uplifting thread you started...
We never delete accounts. Offensive posts are usually moved to recycle bin, which is readable by the public. There's another "recycle bin" which isn't readable by the public, but nothing is every truly deleted here.

Reply #57
all I know is that right now there is a post eraser... just realized some of mine simply disappeared without notice...(they're not even in the bin)
I looked into it.
You have made a totalt of 4 posts that have been deleted (excluding posts that have ended up the in public recycle bin).
Sep 20 2007: Some ABX results I'm not sure why was deleted.
Oct 7 2007: Off-topic comment "TAK is faster... :-)"
Dec 18 2007: reply to to a spam thread that got deleted including your answer
Dec 21 2007: Double post of the first posts in this thread

Any of those posts you really miss? Are you claming more posts than those were deleted?

Reply #58
Sep 20 2007: Some ABX results I'm not sure why was deleted.
Seems to be linked to this curious thread.  Maybe the wrong thread got deleted?

NB: Two of those four posts were TOS breaks... I reported earlier in this thread that I had deleted its duplicate, so that's only three unexplained really...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #59
-

Reply #60
The post that vanished was from the topic http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=60226&hl=
the one who we were talking about a 500kbps VBR LAME format...

It was something like "pushing to bitrates larger than 320kbps breaks full compatibility with MP3 decoders and a new format of MP3 would have been more appropriate to be..."

Hmmm perhaps I deleted myself or the net connection broke.... without actually posting...
I can't find the post you are referring to. Unless someone deliberately deleted it permanently (requires you to deleted it first in the original location then delete it in the hidden recycle bin so it doesn't happen by accident) then you are wrong.
PS: I just noticed greynol has become super moddie.
Bad? Good? Let us know what you think...

Reply #61
-

Reply #62
@greynol: "the uplifting thread I started".... this might be interpreted as something that I just said... another attack... it's small, it's very small, very tiny... still an attack...

It's sarcasm, Bourne, and it also happens to be true.

Reply #63
We needed more mods and we found him qualified and he has done a great job as far as I can see.
Wouldn't you find it logical that we chose someone that seems to agree with the way we do things here? If you find being asked to be a moderator too much of a reward I don't think you understand how much time some of our mods spend on making this place useful.
If you have suggestions for other people you'd like see as moderators (since it appears you disapprove of the choice of greynol) please let me know. We always need more qualified hands.

btw.: I figured out that I could check all moderation actions on a particular thread. I checked the thread you linked to. No moderation/deletion have been done.

Note to self: figure out what the point of this thread was in the first place.

Reply #64
It may be time to consider closing this thread.  Can anything helpful come from continued discussion?  Only my opinion.  Agree...  Disagree....  I got a thick hide.  You won't hurt my feelings.  Thank you.

Reply #65
Yes closing of this thread seems to be where this is going.

If you think the Terms of Service can be improved you are welcome to make suggestions with a detailed explanation as to why certain rules are in your opinion counterproductive. However the principles behind the TOS are not up for discussion.

If you have issues with specific moderation decisions (something that actually happened) you can contact an admin and explain why you think certain action was not in accordance with the TOS. Again the TOS itself is not up for discussion however invalid you think it is.

Some advise: If you wish to actually have something changed I think your attitude is extremely counterproductive. You insult people as soon as they don't agree with you, and you deliberately break the Terms of Service if you feel like it. Would you rather see HA filled with this kind of behavior than risking the moderating team coming across as harsh once in a while? 
As you might have noticed in this thread there are at least some people that don't want HA to go that way.

If there are anyone that have general suggestions for changes to the TOS they can make a thread or contact an admin.

I'd like if people stopped posting in this thread if they have nothing contructive to contribute.

Reply #66
-

Reply #67
I read Hydrogenaudio before registering for years. This place is rare oasis in the internet that have really valuable information, would that be comparison of audio codecs or finding what chip some audio hardware utilize or something else. That this community is such a useful place is in my opinion much because of very good, if not excellent moderation.

Reply #68
-

Reply #69
Here we have common sense, logic and intelligent conversation - a very rare thing in a sea of forums where anyone can say just about anything and it goes on record as if it were fact...

Oh, there's plenty of that here, just not regarding subjective listening.  These are usually the types of situations where you'll find me giving "blunt" responses.

Reply #70
It may be time to consider closing this thread.  Can anything helpful come from continued discussion?

Why? Generally spoken: "You never know". I recommend to be very careful in thread closing. The advantage of web based forums over Usenet is, you can have a rebirth of any forgotten topic and bump the thread to top. Especially people who want to have a "proper library order" like www forum (and I see such tendencies in the moderatorship here) should be happy about this possibility, because people do not have to start similar threads again (in theory and if they know how searching works).

Reply #71
If you don't like the moderators, leave.

That's the bottom line in any internet forum.  I've never known of anyone whose life depended on the status of a forum account.

I've never thought of moderators or admins here as "dictatorial" in any way.  Firm?  Yes.  But in my opinion "firm" is good for a specialized technology forum with a membership of users and developers.  I've had differences with people here, and I've gently reminded a few other members (and even a couple of moderators) about a particular term of service on whose edge they were treading too closely.  But nothing I've seen in my six years here indicates continually foul conduct by any member or mod.  Regarding attitudes, I would say things have generally improved in the past 2-3 years - not even that they really needed to.  I've never received a warning or any other administrative action, even in cases when I thought I had been too harsh.  For that reason, when someone does get warned or banned, I tend to believe the cause was acted upon validly.

HA management tends to be patient and tolerant to a reasonable point.  What more would you expect or want from any forum on the internet?  And just as any sensible person would do anywhere in the world, if you don't like it in one place, then go somewhere else.  It's as simple as that.

Reply #72
I've seen both sides of the coin here on H.A. and can honestly say that mods' / admin' here deal with tough topics in a fair and even-handed way, even when they disagree with me :-)

In short, H.A. is the 'best of breed' in online A/V forums!

Andrew D.
www.cdnav.com

Bout' time I get an avatar...

Reply #73
Whilst the moderation can seem quite strict, it does at least keep the SNR decent compared to most other forums.