Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Encoding a FLAC file several times (Read 3392 times) previous topic - next topic

Encoding a FLAC file several times

I ripped my entire CD collection with DBPoweramp to FLAC using a compression level of -5.
Subsequently I used DBPoweramp to convert the files to uncompressed.
Now I am running out of space again and I am considering re-converting my library of FLAC files to a compression level of -5.
However, I am reluctant to do so in case there is any detrimental effect on the files.
Does anyone know if there are any issues related to encoding and re-encoding FLAC files more than once?

Re: Encoding a FLAC file several times

Reply #1
FLAC is lossless. The compression level just affects the CPU required for encoding/decoding and resulting filesize. There's no difference in quality. Personally I always use compression level 8.

(though I can't speak to human error when needlessly reconverting FLAC files multiple times. A low level of understanding can lead to mistakes)

Reply #2
Not quite sure how it would be possible to make a mistake using DBPoweramp convertor to change the compression, but nevertheless, I imagine this is really a question about whether DBP Convertor is capable of re-converting without introducing any problems.

Reply #3
What sort of problems do you think it would introduce? Either the encoder works or it doesn't surely?

Use level 8, it really is negligible the extra amount of time taken.

Reply #4
Subsequently I used DBPoweramp to convert the files to uncompressed.
why though? FLAC decoding is extremely cheap on CPU.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed