Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: News submissions (Read 4215 times) previous topic - next topic

News submissions

Which are the criteria that decide if a news submission is worth becoming validated news or should better be posted in a normal board? If there are any, I could take care of them the next time so that people could answer to the posting immediately instead of waiting for a moderator to validate the news.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

News submissions

Reply #1
One of the first rules, I reckon, is only freeware, although Nero, CoolEdit and some others seem to be exception.

Software that requires a fee or some other sort of payment, but are un-nagged and non-limited, are also accepted (like EAC, that is a cardware)

News submissions

Reply #2
Having exceptions is a little ambiguous, put it this way - nero create a CD buring product which people have to pay for. I myself create exactly the same, but I would not be allow to post a news submission about mine?

Very democratic, sort of like gives nero a monopoly...

News submissions

Reply #3
All I know is that Nero is an exception because almost everybody here uses it. So it's undoubtedly of public interest. Besides, it's acknowledged as one of the best (if not the best) burning software.

Last but not least, it includes an AAC plugin programmed by a member of this community.

Don't ask me for more details, sonce I'm long gone from the Admin/Mod team. I don't set the rules.

News submissions

Reply #4
One of the first rules, I reckon, is only freeware, although Nero, CoolEdit and some others seem to be exception.

If your assumption is true, it would be a quite stupid rule in my opinion, because it would keep people away from interesting news outside of the free beer world... 
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

News submissions

Reply #6
It depends. But the news section is not an advertizement place for every shareware program author.
Also news that somehow touch the covered formats and are supposed to be more general interest are almost always passed.

Your news post about CodingTechnologies press releases could go either way. But I figured it would reach even better the target group at the AAC-forum.
Juha Laaksonheimo

News submissions

Reply #7
... and Spoon is also a member of this community. 

Is there some problem with Spoon at the moment then? He's in developer group -> he can post directly to validated news. Though, to be fair, if he posts only news about his shareware programs, those may be moved.
News about the most popular softwares like Nero are validated (because of some reason rjamorim already pointed out), but it won't work if the news section becomes a general advertizement place for shareware authors.
Juha Laaksonheimo

News submissions

Reply #8
He's in developer group -> he can post directly to validated news.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know that.

Though, to be fair, if he posts only news about his shareware programs, those may be moved.

He, 

News submissions

Reply #9
Well why not create a rule, that anything commerical related has to go through the validated section? The moderators can kick out any they feel like. Then atleast it seems fair as far as the rules are concerned, even if the rule is not applied fairly.

I apprechiate that the news should not fill up with adverts for every spam commercial program there is: '123 Mp3 to Wav converter'  '#1 Mp3 2 Wav', etc, but to say that nero is the best and always will be the best is a little zenophobic.

For the record, I am not a super commercial person, so I would possibly never post such news items anyhow (although I think I once posted a news item about an update to Sveta Portable Audio, perhaps I shouldn't have done so).

News submissions

Reply #10
Also news that somehow touch the covered formats and are supposed to be more general interest are almost always passed.

That's why I placed it there... 

Your news post about CodingTechnologies press releases could go either way. But I figured it would reach even better the target group at the AAC-forum.

Hmm, I tried to point out that there are some interesting details in these press releases that also touch the ever-lasting "cross-platform cross-format" approach of this site, e.g. the new mp3PRO firmware upgrade for RCA Lyra flash memory portables.    But it's OK for me now, I only wanted to know if there are some rules to obey when submitting news.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

News submissions

Reply #12
... and Spoon is also a member of this community. 

Last but not least!!!