Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 1.4 broke keyboard media controls (Read 4462 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 1.4 broke keyboard media controls

I have a Logitech keyboard with dedicated play/pause/skip buttons and with the new update they don't work anymore (sort of). With 1.3 it was effortless, the controls worked of whether Foobar was minimized or not and without any support software (Logitech has a settings app called SetPoint). If I update to 1.4, the media controls work perfectly until I restart. At that point they only work intermittently; sometimes they need SetPoint running, sometimes it only works with it not running. Most of the time, it only works when I have Foobar open and its window focused.

Re: Foobar2000 1.4 broke keyboard media controls

Reply #1
Some people have hotkey issues with the new Windows 10 Universal Volume Control integration. You can try turning it off under Display section of advanced preferences.

Reply #2
Hi,

I have an up-to-date Windows 10 and a multimedia cabled Logitech keyboard and have same issue with foobar2000 v1.4. I use the standard Win10 keyboard driver, not the Logitech driver.

Once I upgraded to v1.4, the play/pause/next/previous buttons worked initially. I also got display notification with song artist and title when I pressed next track button on keyboard. Never had that seen before.

But, next day, supposedly after PC reboot, the mentioned keyboard keys stopped working unless foobar2000 window was active. Also, the notification on display when changing track didn't show up anymore.

Now I downgraded to v1.3.20 and Logitech play/pause/next/previous buttons work again.

Logitech volume button did keep working on v1.4.

Thanks
Alexxander

Reply #3
You don't comment the given suggestion at all. Does disabling UVC integration help?

Reply #4
Hi,

Before downgrading, I had looked for the UVC option in Win10 and couldn't find it. Now I've installed again v1.4 and found the option in foobar200 preferences. Keys are working again, also after one PC reboot. UVC option is enabled. I'll be vigilant when keys stop working and then will disable UVC integration to see what happens.

Thanks

Reply #5
Disabling UVC works as a solution to my issue, thanks.

Reply #6
Hi,

Despite hard and soft PC reboots done after upgrading to v1.4, the media control keys on keyboard kept working as expected even when window isn't focussed, until I booted up the PC this morning. No idea what has triggered the play/pause/next/previous keys to stop working.

The good news is that disabling Preferences>Advanced>Display>Integrate with Windows 10 Universal Volume Control indeed made the keys work again, but without song info popups when changing tracks. Marking both Notification options in Preferences>Display>Default User Interface>Background and Notifications have no impact.

Thanks
Alexxander

Reply #7
I have same problem with Bluetooth headphones under Windows 10, buttons sometimes work sometimes not work after restart, but this is something wrong with Foobar2000 because for example built in player Music Groove there buttons work always without any problem. I also disabled totally UAC in Windows in registery, tried few Foobar v1.4 betas, tried to run it with compatibility mode, administrator, also disabled this Integrated volume control, no luck, sometimes buttons work, sometimes don't.
Under Windows 7 they worked always.

IT'S a BUG IN FOOBAR2000 under Windows 10 for sure.

Reply #8
Same here, also affected. Windows 10 1803, Logitech keyboard, foobar2000 1.4(.1)

Disabling Universal Volume Control integration worked for me.

I can also tell you more about under which circumstances the keys work and under which they don't. If you start foobar2000 the first time after PC startup, keys don't work. If you close foobar2000 and open it again, keys work, until next startup. When disabling UVC, the keys also work on first start.

I hope this insight can help you fixing this bug.

Reply #9
And I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and all I have to do is install the Apple Keyboard driver for it, and multimedia keys work in everything, including foobar2000 with UVC enabled. Maybe it's a Logitech problem? They may not have moved past the stage of installing proprietary user mode applications that are hard coded to interact with a handful of common media player products instead of simply reporting media keys through the HID subsystem like everyone should be doing now.

Reply #10
For anyone still having trouble (with or without UVC enabled), try setting foobar global hotkeys for your media keys under File menu > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Also see the wiki page section on Multimedia Keys for ideas if foobar does not detect the keys. (Might be outdated but might still apply to other keyboard drivers)

Reply #11
I have installed the Logitech driver, Alexxander says he uses Windows driver. So I think this makes no difference. There is a special key code for media keys and AFAIK, Logitech sends exactly those key codes if you press a media key. I tested it here:  https://unixpapa.com/js/testkey.html It says (enable everything)
Code: [Select]
keydown  keyCode=0         which=0         charCode=0        
         shiftKey=false ctrlKey=false altKey=false metaKey=false
         key=MediaPlayPause char=undefined location=0 repeat=false
         keyIdentifier=undefined keyLocation=undefined
Would be interesting if it says anything different for you if pressing the Play/Pause button.

You can't set media keys as shortcut.

Reply #12
hi
i have the same problem
but i haven't installed the component foo_mediacontrol (i guess should be UVC integration)
i'm running foobar 1.4.4 portable under w7 and w10

under w7 it works perfectly , under w10 it doesn't work
i own a logitech keybard too ,and it works with other players like musicbee or aimp
but i'm a foobar addicted
i know the topic is old but first i have searched for a fix

is there a fix?
thanks