Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC makes my computer crash (Read 5299 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC makes my computer crash

Hello.

I've got a laptop and i've just bought a Lite-on dvd burner 1693 that i plug through a usb2 external rack. Every time i lauch EAC with the rack on, the OS crashes and my computer restarts. If the rack is off, there's no problem.

I've made a brand new installation of windows XP but the problem remains.

Any idea ?

Thanks.

Reply #2
sorry but that didn't fix it.

Reply #3
I don't know that I have ever posted this issue because I have a work around. All of my ripped CDs are stored on a 400GB F: drive. If I attempt to rip to that drive with EAC/Lame, mine also crashes. However, if I use Flacattack (as I now do) and specify the F: drive, it works 100% of the time. On the rare occasions where I did not use Flacattack and simply ripped to my 160GB C: drive and all was well. I then cut and pasted onto the F: drive.

I just assumed it was because the drive was too large for my old version of (EAC V0.9 Beta 4).

FYI, I also use the recommended Nero ASPI interface and it is stored in my EAC directory on the C: drive.

Thanks,
Brent

Reply #4
maybe i should copy EAC on my c: drive.

Reply #5
that didn't work either.

Any clue ?

Reply #6
Is it possible that the external hard drive is overloading the Power supply unit thus making the voltage dip and the computer lock (rather than crash).

Reply #7
i don't think so, it has its own power supply.

Reply #8
The only time EAC crashed on my WinXP system was due to the ASPI layer. If it's pre-configured to use an ASPI driver such as Adaptec, ASAPI and they get uninstalled then your screwed when trying to start EAC, it'll hang the whole system trying to find which ever ASPI driver it was configured to use. That's the reason why I no longer use Adaptec, or ASAPI, I simply dump theNero ASPI Library into the folder with EAC.exe and never have to worry about b.s. from an ASPI problem.

As for EAC crashing your system I would first export for a backup, and then remove the EAC settings from the registry "HKCU\Software\AWSoftware" and try again.

Reply #9
ASPI has nothing to do with it, it is only used with ATAPI drives. Andre Wiethoff stated on EAC forums that USB interface is not supported. Connecting the drive (provided it is really ATAPI) directly to the motherboard's IDE ports is the only solution.

Reply #10
I have a cd drive in an external case running usb2, eac rips cds just fine from it.

Reply #11
I have a cd drive in an external case running usb2, eac rips cds just fine from it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305169"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

did you have to reconfigure EAC in any way, or it was just, like, 'plug and play'.

I had the same problem, unfortunately, and couln't figure out how to configure EAC to get it working. I've ended up using Alcohol 120% with no problems. I"ve decided to continue using Alcohol on USB attached drive, and once I replace my failed drive in laptop, will be using EAC on internal, but only if Alcohol reports some errors. Of course, being able to use EAC in either case would be much simpler.

I just don't want to use my internal drive extensively. Not anymore. It's dead, Fred,    and replacing it is gonna be a major royal pain in the neck. I have a repair manual for my laptop, and part on replacing optical drive is as long as War and Peace, damn it. I literally have to take my laptop apart to access that bloody drive. So from now on I'm planning to use USB-attached drive whenever I can.

Reply #12
ASPI has nothing to do with it, it is only used with ATAPI drives. Andre Wiethoff stated on EAC forums that USB interface is not supported. Connecting the drive (provided it is really ATAPI) directly to the motherboard's IDE ports is the only solution.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305167"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm... Thats weird because I finished ripping my entire CD collection using EAC with my USB Plextor drive.

I had an identical problem and fixed it by unplugging the USB drive. Downloading the Nero ASPI into the EAC directory. Starting EAC, changing the ASPI setting to the External ASPI (Nero). Closing EAC. PLugging in the USB drive. Starting up EAC.  Problem solved.

Hope this helps,

ss.

Reply #13
EAC has ripped dozens of CD's with my external USB v1 Sony Spressa CRX100E CD-RW drive. The things a dinosaur but it's capable of ripping some problematic CD's that my newer drives would choke on.

Reply #14
I don't have an external drive, so I never had that problem. It is interesting to learn that EAC works with many USB drives. It would appear that Andre's statement was re: write/burn support in EAC then.

Reply #15
Hi anubis.
What version of EAC are you using? In EAC: 'Help|About'.

Reply #16
Hello and cheers. You've solved my problem.

The solution was Download the Nero dll and then set EAC to "external atapi"

I didn't know i had to do the latter when i had the first answer.

Thank you very much, everything is fine now.

I guess porky pig jr will be happy about that solution too.

Reply #17
It would appear that Andre's statement was re: write/burn support in EAC then.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe. When I previously tried to write an audio CD with my USB CD-RW drive EAC crashed, that's the only non-support issue I found it had with the drive.

Reply #18
Hello and cheers. You've solved my problem.

The solution was Download the Nero dll and then set EAC to "external atapi"

I didn't know i had to do the latter when i had the first answer.

Thank you very much, everything is fine now.

I guess porky pig jr will be happy about that solution too.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305494"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I've just got a new external drive, Samsun in USB enclosure. Followed the instructions in this thread and everything is working fine. EAC is happy and so am I.
Thanks to everyone.