Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Favorite Settings For Lossless and Lossy now that 4.70.x is out? (Read 6596 times) previous topic - next topic

Favorite Settings For Lossless and Lossy now that 4.70.x is out?

Just wanted to pick the brains and see how people are using WavPack now with the new version.

I like the lossy option but keep it a lossless backup with the correction files, so I am stuck with hb384xc currently

So, for me:

Lossless/Lossy:  hb384xc
Lossless only:    hx3

Is there a transparent setting that anyone has noticed on their own lately lower than 320-384?  Just curious.  I know that shadowking is a big fan but look forward to any input from anyone.

Thanks for the help and thanks to David for our beloved WavPack.

Scott

Reply #1
As you're probably aware, many have reported their settings in the thread below:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=100029

My preference, after being able to spot noise in a blind test at ~270kbps, is for bitrates higher than 320kbps. (350kbps in my case, just to be on the safe side).
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
And just to be TOS8 compliant, I'd be happy to post the above-mentioned test results (plus my current settings) ASA I'm back home in the evening, in case anyone requires them.

I just cannot recall the exact bitrate they were run at, a few months ago.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
And just to be TOS8 compliant, I'd be happy to post the above-mentioned test results (plus my current settings) ASA I'm back home in the evening, in case anyone requires them.

Thanks, bud.  I appreciate the help!

[edited for clarity, typo]

Reply #4

Thanks, bud.  I appreciate the help!

[edited for clarity, typo]

Anytime.

Here are my settings BTW: (though I'm definitely no guru)

-hb350x2

Coincidentally, now that I've finally taken the plunge and bought another pair of decent headphones, (Koss Porta Pro) it is time to put said settings thru their paces and check how gentle they will be on battery life, on my Sansa Fuze.
União e reconstrução

Reply #5
I'm using -hcb4x4 right now. Keeping the correction file archived and the lossy part on my laptop, phone. 4bit/s is the sweet spot of Wavpack told by many guys here on Hydrogenaudio so i decided to go with it. I'm listening to music at my workplace with a Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro + Fiio E10. I'm also listening to music in my car over A2DP. So far, so good i found this setting adequate, haven't hear anything bad yet.

The average lossy bitrate is 374kbps on my collection of various music.

Reply #6
So far, so good i found this setting adequate, haven't hear anything bad yet.

Would you have any comments regarding whether these settings are gentle or not on battery life, for portables?

Cheers,
União e reconstrução