Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools versions 1.9.5 through 2.1.6 (Read 1889431 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools versions 1.9.5 through 2.1.5 (current)

Reply #2425
I also get the exception in 2.1.5 using takc.exe v2.3.0
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

on decode. Encoding is fine.
korth

Reply #2426
I have the path set to just 'takc.exe' with the executable in the 2.1.5 base folder, and the parameters are: '-d %I -' both without the single quotes. I'm using Win7 x64. Verifying and transcoding from .tak both work fine.

Reply #2427
Gap detection fails, & CDs will not rip. This happens using CUERipper 2.1.4. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply #2428
OS and hardware info (such as optical drive make & model and connection type) might be helpful to the developer.
Does it rip OK with Detect Indexes turned off?
korth

Reply #2429
You didn't say if you had Test&Copy ticked. There was a problem with this on some drives in 2.1.4 (fixed in 2.1.5).
korth

Reply #2430
I was wondering if there was any thought of adding a more stream lined ripping approach similar to how DBPoweramp works?

1. Rip as burst, compare tracks to AccurateRip results. If they all match, ripping done. If they don't all match move to step 2
2. Re rip non matching AccurateRip tracks in secure mode.
3. Report any ripping errors.

So there is no user interaction between steps 1 - 3.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2431
OS and hardware info (such as optical drive make & model and connection type) might be helpful to the developer.
Does it rip OK with Detect Indexes turned off?

Was HP DVDRAM GT31L, a new drive I got when the one that worked fine, GT20L, went out. Works fine with dBpoweramp 14.4 Trying 2.1.5 now, will see about this index thing. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, 2.1.5 working fine!

Reply #2432
Can someone explain what the %O and "-" parameters exactly do?

Code: [Select]
Arguments for external encoder executable. The required placeholder arguments used by CUETools for external encoders are: 

" - " (without the quotes) = input filename.
         %O = output filename.
         %M = Modes selection.

The information from the Wiki is a bit vague, at least for me. I figured out what %M does, but fail to grasp what "-" and %O do and why I get an error code -1 (with LAME) when I leave them out.

Reply #2433
From the LAME documentation:
[blockquote]lame [options] inputfile [outputfile]
inputfile and/or outputfile can be "-", which means stdin/stdout.
[/blockquote]CUETools uses - for stdin (standard input) and %O for stdout (standard output).
stdin/stdout are used to stream the audio data through the LAME encoder instead of using inputfile outputfile as shown in the LAME documentation.

Each encoder may have different usage parameters
From the Nero AAC Encoder documentation:
[blockquote]Usage:
neroAacEnc [options] -if <input-file> -of <output-file>

Where:
<input-file>  : Path to source file to encode.
                The file must be in Microsoft WAV format and contain PCM data.
                Specify - to encode from stdin.
<output-file> : Path to output file to encode to, in MP4 format.
[/blockquote]So to use in CUETools you would replace <input-file> with - and <output-file> with %O.

Edit: added another example.
korth

Reply #2434
Thank you for the explanation.

Reply #2435
Is CUETools 2.1.5 still considered experimental? It's been out for more than six months according to the changes log.

Reply #2436
OK, I'm not a CUETools expert and I can't tell whether this is by design or by error. When looking up the 2008 Century Media reissue of Heathen - "Breaking the Silence" with MusicBrainz, this is not displayed in the list of albums. Only the older 2000 Century Media reissue is offered. As it seems only the first album with matching track count is offered, not all, which prevents me from selecting the correct release.

I'm using CUETools v2.14

Reply #2437
<double post>

Reply #2438
No Musicbrainz Disc ID (CD TOC) listed for the 2008 Century Media release. The 'Default' Metadata search in CUETools will not display these if exact Musicbrainz Disc ID matches are found. Your image TOC was probably an exact match for a Musicbrainz Disc ID under the 2000 Century Media release. You could try the 'Extensive' setting.

edit: fixed link
korth

Reply #2439
Hello,

is there a translation tool or similar?

The German translation is not completely correct and some is still missing.
Under plugins there is only one translation for Russian.

How can a user change the language in the programs?

Thanks.

Reply #2440
The developer provides the Russian. German translations are provided by a 3rd-party and they may not be 100% up-to-date. No other translations are provided at this time.
How can a user change the language in the program?
In CUETools, see the CUETools tab in Advanced Options.
In CUERipper you can change in the \CUERipper\settings.txt file located under %appdata% (or in program folder if you are running as a portable app).
look for Language=
the following are supported:
Language=en-EN
Language=ru-RU
Language=de-DE
korth

Reply #2441
[...] German translations are provided by a 3rd-party and they may not be 100% up-to-date. No other translations are provided at this time.

I thought, that I can correct and insert text in the language file. I tried it with Lingobit Localizer, but the created file is invalid for CUERipper and so.

How can a user change the language in the program?
In CUERipper you can change in the \CUERipper\settings.txt file located under %appdata% (or in program folder if you are running as a portable app). [...]

OK, I've found it.

In CUERipper (in German):
Code: [Select]
Codepage = Zeichensatz
Eject = Auswerfen
lossless = verlustfrei
lossy = verlustbehaftet
Close = Schließen
Tracks = Titel
Burst = (no idea yet)
Secure = Sicher
Paranoid = Paranoid
Image = 'Abbild' or 'Eine Datei', 'Als eine Datei'
Tracks = 'Titel' or similar

Offset lesen = 'Leseversatz', 'Versatz beim Lesen' or 'Versatz lesen'
Testen & Kopieren = Prüfen und Kopieren
Offset was set to +6, oh, I saw the offset value on accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm 

Reply #2442
Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Gregory for implementing the repair functionality - I just found out one of my tracks got corrupted somewhere and even made it into my (simple) backups. I don't even have that CD anymore, so I was pretty much screwed - but CUETools managed to repair it and it now even verifies against CTDB with highest confidence possible!

A suggestion though, when in "repair" mode, it should instruct the decoder to decode through errors if possible, I had to manually decompress the flac in question to wav using commandline, then edit the .cue and attempt a repair again.

What is the maximum error count CUETools can repair that way? It managed to fix 8190 errors in this case.

Reply #2443
Hello
I recently downloaded cuetools, mainly for cueripper
found great not to have to set many parameters

but I when I read the log file, I found:
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out        : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence  : Yes

afaik the old plextor I'm using can overread into lead-in and lead-out (I think I bought it especially because it could do everything)
[kind of edit : humm, I just checked the DAE drive database to refresh my mind about what meant "do everything" and noticed that "C2 pointers" is YES in this table, but logfile by cueripper says "Make use of C2 pointers : No" Dont know what to think about that]

if I'm not wrong, I read in a 1 or 2 year's old post that this overreading thing was not implemented yet, but on the way
any news from it?

well, to be honest, I'm not sure how important this is (this point is not listed in the "Comparison of CD rippers" page)
I thought it was closely related with the htoa thing, but apparently not

the offset of the drive I use is +30 (I don't know if this information is of any interest regarding my questions, but I assumed that the smaller the offset is, the better it is if no overreading, am I right?)

thanx to anyone enlightening the ignorant I am

Reply #2444
What is the maximum error count CUETools can repair that way? It managed to fix 8190 errors in this case.

In theory the matrix of the 188160 byte recovery record can repair up to 10 sectors (5880 samples) * 4 errors = 40 sectors (23520 samples) max for one continuous damaged section. Starting with CTDB 2.0, popular CDs can have recovery records of twice that size. See this [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=697686']post[/a], the wiki: How many errors can a rip contain and still be repairable? and Changelog: 16.04.2012: CUETools 2.1.4.
korth

Reply #2445
the offset of the drive I use is +30 (I don't know if this information is of any interest regarding my questions, but I assumed that the smaller the offset is, the better it is if no overreading, am I right?)

Overreading is not related to HTOA, really. All drives are supposed to be able to read the entire program area, which is where the audio data is supposed to live, in between the lead-in and lead-out zones (which are normally short, inaccessible silent tracks). It doesn't matter if the beginning of the program area is track 01 index 01, or track 01 index 00 (HTOA).

If your drive is reading from 30 samples prior to where it's told to (hence correction value +30), then theoretically it is overreading into the lead-in a little, but that doesn't mean it can be told to read a full sector from outside of the program area, or that even if told to, it would actually do it. However, we now are pretty confident that our standard for offset correction as used by AccurateRip is actually off by 30, so your drive is actually reading from precisely where it's told to.

Since your true offset is 0, to get a "perfect rip" you don't need to overread; your drive can everything from the program area if you use 0 as your correction value. By using +30, you're actually discarding 30 good samples from the beginning of your rip. We're talking about a fraction of a millisecond of what is almost certainly silence. If overreading were implemented and your drive were capable of it, the first 30 samples from the first sector of lead-out would be added to the end, but for now, 30 silent samples are used instead. The downside to using offset 0 is AccurateRip comparisons will be off by 30, of course.

Personally I think overreading is very low priority. Even a large offset is only affecting a fraction of a second of extra audio on one end or the other of what is arguably a poorly mastered disc. It's not needed for AccurateRip (which ignores 5 sectors on either end), and most CDs have a buffer of silence at both ends anyway, so it's a lot of work to try to get what is usually going to be silent samples or quiet hiss.

As for C2, I don't know why CUERipper's EAC-style log says CUERipper is not using C2. It is using them, if the drive provides them. It is not exactly the same way that EAC uses them, but I don't think the difference warrants a "no" in the log. Maybe I'm wrong.

My understanding of C2: Using validation & error correction data on the CD, the drive normally does its own minor corrections of "burst" errors on small batches of samples, then reports the whole batch as 100% correct, same as if the batch didn't need correction. If the batch has too many errors, or the validation codes are bad, it isn't able to tell how many errors and where they all are, so it reports the whole batch as "uncorrectable", even though some or all of the samples may actually be correct; they're just not fixable by the C2 system if they happen to be wrong. Drives vary widely in what C2 data they report and how accurate it is, so there's disagreement over how rippers should use the info.

EAC secure mode tries to get consistent data by re-reading everything. If the C2 option is enabled, EAC skips its usual round of re-reads if the drive doesn't say there's any uncorrectable data. CUERipper does the same but stops the re-reads if the drive says the data wasn't uncorrectable. So CUERipper is a little more trusting of the drive's C2 reports than EAC. Is that good or bad, who knows...

Reply #2446
Would it be possible to add some ways to work around non-utf-8 compatible encoders (namely, takc), by maybe including an option to use temporary names during encode/verify? Currently I'm getting a not very useful "the pipe has ended" error on any non-ansi names...

Reply #2447
I have a question about tagging, not sure if this is the right place to ask. I am trying to batch convert from multiple flac files (no cue) to multiple mp3 files, but all my tags (from flac files) are erased during the conversion process. Any option to preserve my tags? I have all the options from settings (write basic tags, copy basic tags, etc.) checked if that helps.

Thanks!

Reply #2448
You didn't say which version of CUETools. Try setting Metadata search to 'none' in 2.1.4 or 2.1.5.

[edit]
alternative
In 2.1.4 you could un-tick 'use MusicBrainz' and 'use freeDB' under Mode.
In 2.1.5 you could un-tick 'edit tags' under Mode.
korth

Reply #2449
I am using version 2.1.4. I have tried with both 'Default' and 'Extended' for Metadata Search and no tags are written.

[edit:]

I have tried with 'None' option and also no tags. I can't seem to find the Mode option.

[edit:]

I have found the Mode option, un-checked both option. Still no tags.