Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can cursor/playback stay on selected file i.e. not auto advance after? (Read 1540 times) previous topic - next topic

Can cursor/playback stay on selected file i.e. not auto advance after?

Hi Searched the forums quickly but couldn't find any other posts on this particular topic. I'm wondering if anyone can help me setup this behavior in foobar2000. I'm using foobar as a search tool for my sound library, I am a professional sound designer. Here's what I'd like foobar to do.

Play a file when selected in the list then stop once the file is done. DO NOT automatically advance the cursor or playback. I'd like the cursor and playback to always remain on the selected file. Is it possible to create this behavior or modify the existing one ?

I have tried all the playack/ drop-down options, the cursor or playback always moves. Currently foobar always advances the cursor and playback to the next file. This means that if I have "stop after current" set and I allow the playback to stop, using the "next" button skips a file in the list. This makes auditioning files in sequential order difficult and confusing.

Reply #1
Now that you know the behavior, why not just hit play? Or bind a keyboard shortcut

Reply #2
Now that you know the behavior, why not just hit play? Or bind a keyboard shortcut

edited post .. hopefully its easier to read / understand my question .. sorry ..

Reply #3
Play a file when selected in the list then stop once the file is done. DO NOT automatically advance the cursor or playback.
That is how it used to work, then users threw a fit, then at some point in time it was changed. I doubt it will be changed back.

This means that if I have "stop after current" set and I allow the playback to stop, using the "next" button skips a file in the list. This makes auditioning files in sequential order difficult and confusing.

When it used to worked as you desired, our initial response was that users should hit the next button if they wanted to play the next track. This was an unsatisfactory solution according to everyone who bothered to complain about the issue.

So, I assume, now that the behavior was changed, you are going to suggest that pressing the play button is an unsatisfactory solution. This, truely, brings the problem full circle.

That problem is lazy users.  Sorry, man.

[edit] It looks like Case was sympathetic to your plight here
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
whoops deleted post just found the answer with your link .. thanks !