Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Forum font too small on full-HD displays (Read 10580 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Forum font too small on full-HD displays

Reply #50
Yes, RGB letters are not aligned and the font is not smoothed by ClearType. Could be some sort of raster font internal to the program that modern Windows can't take control over it. It is the worst part and therefore I specifically mentioned about it.

Reply #51
If I have some size-inflating hack deep within my OS, feel free to let me know. Here I captured a full-screen dump (still on 24"). To the left, this thread, a screenshot that gets some quoted text. To the right, WavPack.com in default zoom and in double Ctrl minus (two different Chromium browsers).

Reply #52
To me, The top wavpack by far the best, then HA and smaller wavpack last.
Everything is a bit small for my taste in the screenshot except WV new look, although I can't
tell for sure as imgur adds a smudging effect.

Reply #53
Monitor resolution, display driver resolution scaling, DPI scaling, accessibility settings, browser font settings (something that @shadowking might want to look into!), and browser zoom seem to be all the possibilities on Windows that affect text size on websites.

To me, HA even on 24" 2560x1440 monitor with everything 100% looks OK from a meter away, although WavPack website before increasing font size did not.

Reply #54
I've tried many combos of fonts, css extensions etc..
Firefox is the closest to most consistent look with some breakage:
Set main font=Segoe UI size 16 or 17 and minimum 15
then disable 'allow websites...'

Reply #55
Did you try changing only the font size from default Medium to Large or Very Large?

Reply #56
Did you try changing only the font size from default Medium to Large or Very Large?

That appears only in chromium browsers.   I tried chromium and the large setting is very good for me. It appears that its
just an alias for custom zoom value ?  

Reply #57
I see its a preset for size 20 font in chromium.

Reply #58
OK. It appears that in FF size 20 = chrome 'large' .  I'll have to experiment to see what breaks or not.

Reply #59
If I have some size-inflating hack deep within my OS, feel free to let me know. Here I captured a full-screen dump (still on 24"). To the left, this thread, a screenshot that gets some quoted text. To the right, WavPack.com in default zoom and in double Ctrl minus (two different Chromium browsers).
Not sure if it helps with anything, but here are "The" from your screenshot: normal message, quote, top wavpack, bottom wavpack

X

Reply #60
As for the font size on HA, to me it is rather on the smaller side. And because I don't like overcomplicated things, I override this:
Code: [Select]
font: 87.5%/150% "Segoe UI",-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Roboto","Oxygen","Ubuntu","Cantarell","Droid Sans","Helvetica Neue","Trebuchet MS",Arial,sans-serif
with this:
font: 100%/150% sans-serif !important;
;-)

The result on 24" 1920x1200, before:
X
and after:
X

Reply #61
Set main font=Segoe UI size 16 or 17 and minimum 15
then disable 'allow websites...'
It's worth noting that newer fonts like Segoe UI require ClearType/antialiasing/blurry mode to be enabled. I find Windows to be much more visually pleasing with ClearType disabled, and then banishing the disgusting Segoe UI font family. Forcing everything to use older fonts like Tahoma, Times New Roman, and Courier New that were created before the "blurry fonts are awesome" craze makes things look much more crisp and easy to read to me, but YMMV.

Reply #62
To further complicating things, being an Asian, I also visit websites and have files contain Chinese and Japanese. Chinese glyphs can be traditional (e.g. Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan) or simplified (Mainland China), Japanese can be in Kanji and Kana. In terms of visual complexity, from highest to lowest should be Traditional Chinese > Kanji / Simplified Chinese > Kana.

In the screenshot below, everything in foobar's playlist is Traditional Chinese, two folders in explorer contain Kana and Kanji, compared to the forum fonts.
X

Because it is only possible to choose one font and one size for each item (e.g. folder name), I can't control how the Asian glyphs look like if I use typical Western fonts like Arial, Tahoma, Verdana and such. The font I used in desktop icon, foobar and explorer is Meiryo UI. On the other hand I don't use any plugin and customized font in Firefox.

For ClearType, I also used Windows' built-in ClearType Tuner tool to find the best looking setting for my eye and monitor.

Reply #63
I used to disable cleartype and all blurring possible until 3 years ago.
. With newer displays, better PPI/DPI &
cleartype tuner it can be pretty good.  Not all fonts render
 good just like some of the non-blurred fonts weren't that great either.
The bigger font size is better as it overcomes PPI limitations. If you have
reasonable DPI screen (100 or more), the smaller font won't look smudged .  If you have average display
, the smaller may look blurred, also the Non MS 'web fonts' won't look as sharp.  I wasn't satisfied using 24", but on 22" and now 21 work better.  The new lenovo 21" is best by far.

Reply #64
With ClearType disabled, it's critical to set your browser to forbid websites from using their own fonts; otherwise, sites that use abominations like Segoe UI will be a jaggy, unreadable mess. Modern fonts seem to be designed with font blurring in mind, so when you turn it off, the fonts completely fall apart.

Reply #65
I think I can reuse this thread as it seems that there are Linux users here, and it would be better if there are members who use both Linux and Windows. I mean the bold fonts on Linux look pretty similar to regular fonts and this issue only happens on HA but not other websites, including websites that use the same ElkArte forum software. I tried to use a completely new Firefox profile without any custom settings and addons but the issues persists. I am a complete Linux noob so I would be grateful if there is a solution to this.

You can see that bold fonts can be easily distinguished from regular fonts on Windows.
X

On Linux the differences of bold and regular fonts are small on HA regardless of overall browser zoom factor. Other websites don't have this issue.
X
X

Here are the links of the pages above:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123025.msg1018543.html#msg1018543
https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1269206
https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=6161.msg44076#msg44076

Reply #66
I mean the bold fonts on Linux look pretty similar to regular fonts and this issue only happens on HA but not other websites, including websites that use the same ElkArte forum software.
[...]
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,123025.msg1018543.html#msg1018543
I've no problem with that one. Bold text is clearly bold.

I am a complete Linux noob so I would be grateful if there is a solution to this.
Considering being new to this, just calling your OS 'Linux' isn't particularly clear. One could call Android Linux too of course. My system runs OpenSUSE Tumbleweed from a few days ago. I can't tell from the screenshots what system you're running.

Anyway, probably there's a font missing.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #67
This one:
https://mxlinux.org/download-links/
MX-21.3_x64 “ahs”

I just tried booting a live USB session using the installation image, bold fonts are not being clearly displayed as well, and only on HA. I can disallow Firefox's "Allow pages to use their own fonts" so that I can choose a san-serif font with better bolds, but it seems that this option affects all other websites and cannot be applied to only HA. I don't want to use forced fonts on all websites.

I also installed MX Linux on the SSD and fiddled with different font packages and nothing is solved.

Reply #68
What happens if you open a terminal and run sudo apt install fonts-roboto

Or install the fonts-roboto package through synaptic or some other package manager. I'm unfamiliar with this Linux flavour, but it seems to be based on Debian.

Reply #69
Thanks. I installed fonts-roboto in Synaptic and rebooted and see no improvement. Here are the "Installed Files" being shown on Synaptic:

fonts-roboto
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/bug
/usr/share/bug/fonts-roboto
/usr/share/bug/fonts-roboto/presubj
/usr/share/bug/fonts-roboto/script
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto/buildinfo_all.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto/copyright

When I install font-roboto, Synaptic automatically installs font-roboto-unhinted as well.
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto-unhinted
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto-unhinted/buildinfo_all.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto-unhinted/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-roboto-unhinted/copyright
/usr/share/fonts
/usr/share/fonts/truetype
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-Bold.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-Italic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-Light.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-LightItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-Medium.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-MediumItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoCondensed-Regular.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Black.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-BlackItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Bold.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-BoldItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Italic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Light.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-LightItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Medium.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-MediumItalic.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Regular.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-Thin.ttf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/roboto/unhinted/RobotoTTF/Roboto-ThinItalic.ttf
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/fonts-roboto-unhinted

Reply #70
If your eyes are sensitive to this sort of thing, it can be helpful to set your browser to ignore fonts used on websites and always force your own font choices to be used. This insulates you against websites with poor font choices, so you only have to worry about setting the zoom level to make sites easy to read.

Reply #71
Now that i read it i checked and indeed found a userContent.css file in my firefox profile i define the font for hydrogenaud.io only. I did this after some forum software update and worsened readability for me.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #72
Now that i read it i checked and indeed found a userContent.css file in my firefox profile i define the font for hydrogenaud.io only. I did this after some forum software update and worsened readability for me.
Thanks for the hint. For those who want to try:
https://superuser.com/questions/318912/how-can-i-override-the-css-of-a-site-in-firefox-with-usercontent-css

Here are my settings:
@-moz-document domain(hydrogenaud.io) {
    body{font:93% "Open Sans" !important;}
}
Night and day difference
X

As for the original css file on HA, I see this:
font:87.5%/150% "Segoe UI",-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Roboto","Oxygen","Ubuntu","Cantarell","Droid Sans","Helvetica Neue","Trebuchet MS",Arial,sans-serif
As long as "Segoe UI" exists, bold font will not display properly. I have no idea why this can even affect the original MX Linux Live USB session.

Reply #73
I think something maps Segoe UI to some other font that does not have a bold variant, or the mapping breaks the link to that bold variant. From the fact the capital I has serifs, it seems that substitute font may be Droid Sans

Reply #74
From the fact the capital I has serifs, it seems that substitute font may be Droid Sans
:D  :D  What do they not understand about the designation "sans"??!
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.