Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does Foobar/iPhone allow one to add albums on an external SD card to library?  (Read 477 times) previous topic - next topic

Does Foobar/iPhone allow one to add albums on an external SD card to library?

My niece has an iPhone and has run out of storage space, so I bought her an SD card and an external card reader that works with an iPhone, so that I could give her mp3 albums and she could play them from the external card.

However although her iPhone recognises the card and can see the files on it, it turns out you can't add mp3 albums that are stored on an SD card to the iTunes library - which is crazy when it's so easy to store one's music on an SD card on an Android phone and play it from there.

So I was wondering whether Foobar might solve her problem? Can you add mp3 albums that are stored on an external SD card to the Foobar music library on an iPhone?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Re: Does Foobar/iPhone allow one to add albums on an external SD card to library?

Reply #1
Does anyone know the answer? If not, is there any way to contact the developer so I can ask them?

Re: Does Foobar/iPhone allow one to add albums on an external SD card to library?

Reply #2
The problem is that Apple enforces data segregation, and allows its own built-in or installable apps a lot more freedom than third-party apps.  This is becoming an issue with Android too.  It's about security: they can't exhaustively test that every app submitted to the relevant app store is going to be well-behaved under all circumstances, so they all get sand-boxed.

In addition, Apple are very keen on enforcing media copyright, so it's not straightforward moving mp3s around.

My reaction to your enquiry, as would be many people's, is that FB2K is free so what's stopping you testing it for yourself?  The majority here (including me) only use FB2K on PCs under Windows, or under Linux using Wine, so there is not an extensive experience with iOS or Android.

I'm inclined to suggest your niece would be better off deleting all the cat videos and social media apps, making storage available for her music.  We all have to learn where to make compromises.

is there any way to contact the developer so I can ask them?
This is how!
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #3
Hi @fooball

My reaction to your enquiry, as would be many people's, is that FB2K is free so what's stopping you testing it for yourself?

I don't have access to an iPhone. My niece lives 500 miles away and my phone runs Android.

I'm inclined to suggest your niece would be better off deleting all the cat videos and social media apps
I don't have that level of control over her.

Quote from: Dave Rado on Today at 11:58
is there any way to contact the developer so I can ask them?
This is how!

But the developer has written the iPhone version of the Foobar app so he or she must surely be able to answer my question. If she or he is reading this thread, I'd be grateful if they could reply. If they aren't, how can I contact them?

Dave

Reply #4
I don't have that level of control over her.
So it's her problem, not yours.  Stop trying to be so helpful.  Give advice when and if asked, but let the next generation work out their own problems.

But the developer has written the iPhone version of the Foobar app so he or she must surely be able to answer my question. If she or he is reading this thread, I'd be grateful if they could reply. If they aren't, how can I contact them?
Suppose you wrote some popular software, and were giving it away for free.  How much of your personal free time would you want to dedicate to personally supporting thousands of users?

A user forum is one way to address that, by creating a self-help group.  Peter will be along if he wants to be, when he wants to be, if he decides it's needed and worth his time.  Patience!
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #5
So it's her problem, not yours.
No, it's my problem because I'd like her to be able to play the birthday present I made her.

In any case, I came here for technical information about Foobar, not for advice about how to run my life.

Suppose you wrote some popular software, and were giving it away for free.  How much of your personal free time would you want to dedicate to personally supporting thousands of users?

Most developers do provide a means of contacting them when no one in their user forum is able to answer a technical question about their product.

Peter will be along if he wants to be, when he wants to be, if he decides it's needed and worth his time.  Patience!
More...Quote
Is it possible to PM him? He can choose whether or when to reply but I don't see why he should object to me asking him the question directly.

Thanks

Dave