Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #8] Media Player that sounds exactly like Windows Media Player 11 (Read 2917 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #8] Media Player that sounds exactly like Windows Media Player 11

Hello, I m new here and I want to know if there is a player, that sounds like Windows Media Player 11, because it can´t be used in Windows 7 64 bit, nor do the downgrade instructions work for me, I read somewhere, that that is because I am using the 64 bit version of Windows 7, the downgrade tricks would only work for the 32 bit version of Windows 7. So I´ve tried a few EQ's and the players Winamp and Mediamonkey, they sound ok but they don´t sound anything like Windows Media Player unfortunately. maybe some can´t hear the difference between the different players, but for me Windows Media Player has a better sound then the other players I am forced to using in Windows 7. And I wont use the WMP 12 either because it has a lot of features cut and with trying to install WMP 11 I fucked that part of Windows off so it doesn´t work anymore. I hope someone knows some player that sounds the same ar some output plugin that makes Mediamonkey sound like Windows Media Player. I am using a C-media USB soundcard (I know it´s cheap) and a Denon amp and Magnat Quantum 503 speakers.

Reply #1
44 hits and noone has an idea?

Reply #2
is this the wrong section or why does noone answer?

Reply #3
  • Forums are not meant for instant replies.  Go to a chat room if you want something like that.
  • Your audio quality claims violate the terms of service (particularly TOS #8) for hydrogenaudio.
  • Mindlessly bumping threads if frowned upon in forums.  It comes across as being rude.
  • Unless there is any EQ enabled in Windows Media Player (or any other player), the output of said players should all be identical.

Reply #4
You're experiencing placebo effect. Software players sound the same.
Edit: too slow

Reply #5
Read this forum's Terms of Service, specifically #8. Statements about sound quality must be supported by objective evidence (also, it is surely a minimal courtesy to attempt to provide a meaningful description, i.e. something more substantial than "a better sound"). If they aren't, they will likely be ignored as unfounded and likely due to the placebo effect, confirmation bias, etc.

Reply #6
is this the wrong section or why does noone answer?

You're asking a very subjective question in a forum based on objectiveness.  It sounds like only YOU know what you are looking for.  What most here are probably looking for is as transparent a media player as possible.  Foobar2k is a great player that offers many options, though I don't know if it "sounds" like WMP11.  It is likely that WMP11 sounds the way it does because of some kind of equalizing or other effect being applied to the output.  If you are determined to find out, you could try playing back a perfect impulse through WMP11 and recording the impulse response of the player.  There is a convolution plugin for foobar2k that you could use to apply this impulse.  As long as there is nothing non-linear going on in WMP11, this should work.  Don't know what else to tell you...

Load Windows XP in a virtual PC and play music there?

Good luck.

Reply #7
I wouldn't recommend such tests until it is established that the user is really hearing a difference, rather than thinking "Well, this sounds better to me, because I know that it's WMP7, and WMP7 sounds better to me". A blind test, please!

Reply #8
I read this, but was just wondering how to respond and I got distracted googling "C-media USB". Which one are you using?

Reply #9
I am using the C-media 6206 USB audio device. I am sorry if I was rude and i didn´t mean to be rude. Unfortunately, if Equalizers are disabled, the different players still have different output, for example if you open winamp with directsound and all eq off it will sound different as if you open Windows Media Player 11 with all effects off, there are minor differences. I might do the foobar equalizing thing recommended here and thanks for the answers.

Reply #10
Again, read the Terms of Service (with particular emphasis on TOS #8) before making such replies.