Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: $10,000 Ethernet cables (Read 15352 times) previous topic - next topic

$10,000 Ethernet cables

A new low in deceptive advertising perhaps?

..."All audio cables are directional"..."For best results have the arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of music. For example, NAS to Router, Router to Network Player"

..."clarity"...

Fill your boots here:

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #1
Again, why are they allowed to lie in advertising? It's one thing to hide or exclude truths, but flat-out lies are criminal.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #2
What about a wireless link? Does the receiver have to be lower than the transmitter so that the music flows downhill? 

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #3
Don't forget the type of NAS the music is stored on matters a lot too. After all, QNAP TS-419P+ sounds tidier, tonally less messy without the roughened HF, and perhaps better integrated in musical intent than a QNAP TS-439 Pro. 
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #5
Again, why are they allowed to lie in advertising? It's one thing to hide or exclude truths, but flat-out lies are criminal.

Well, it´s not a lie per se. Unless someone comes and prooves that it is untrue. "Wo kein Kläger, da kein Richter".
On the other side - howelse should they justify !6900! GBP for a an Ethernet-cable...?

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #6
I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't actually sold one of these things...  Every Audiophool is going to lust for one, but they might settle for one of their $200 cables. 

It probably is illegal, but I have no idea what agency in the UK is in charge of that.

In the U.S., the Federal Trade Commission is in charge of false advertising, but I doubt a small case like this would get their attention.

In California, we also have the Department of Consumer Affairs.  They might start an investigation and send a letter if you are actually victimized.  We also have The Better Business Bureau, which is a private organization funded by business that want to maintain a good reputation.

A senior citizen friend of mine was "ripped off" by a contractor a couple of years ago.  A plumber had charged her $7000 for one day's work and maybe 40 feet of pipe!!!!  (She had agreed to the price in advance and paid it...  When she told me it was 7000, I said, "You mean $700, right?")

I filed  complaints with the Better Business Bureau and with the California State Contractors Licensing Board.  Both organizations started investigations.  In couple of days, he received a letter from the Better Business Bureau and he was ready to re-negotiate.  My friend got a partial refund, bringing the bill down to a reasonable amount.    The bad thing is, he didn't get "punished".  Once we re-negotiated a fair deal, both agencies considered the case closed.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #7
..."All audio cables are directional"..."For best results have the arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of music. For example, NAS to Router, Router to Network Player"

So, should I reverse the cable depending on whether I transfer music TO or FROM the NAS?

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #8
Again, I am in the wrong business. I should sell insanely overpriced audio components.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #9
To be honest, I found the following even worse. It's an outright lie.

All insulation slows down the signal on the conductor inside.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #10

Actually I believe that is correct (excepting vacuum).

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #11

Can you explain? How does the insulation surrounding a wire slow down the electrical current in the wires.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #12
I like to think of it as a tax on rich stupid people.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #13
Audiostream heard a difference(!) http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioqu...ethernet-cables
Steven Plaskin has reviewed a bunch of USB cables there too, as well as all kinds of other magical devices.

That article is a cornucopia of misunderstandings, it's amazingly wrong in every possible way.

Yes, of course timing matters a bit for digital streams, you obviously don't want there to be a 1 instead of a 0, but I wouldn't call that a "teeny-tiny" timing problem. It's like the author has never heard of checksums, retransmission and buffering. Not to mention that transferring 1.4 Mbit CD-quality audio over even common 100 Mbit Ethernet is hardly over-taxing the connection.

It's like he has absolutely no sense of proportion.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #15

confirmed.

For example the transmission speed on a typical piece of good quality coax is around 0.6 the speed of light in a vacuum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_delay

Its not an issue in general audio situations for two reasons:

(1) The music we play is already delayed in transmission due to distances, or due the time it is stored on media before playing.

(2) The delays in cables in the room are measured in microseconds, and we can't perceive that anyway.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #16
Actually, unlike here, where the shysters run wild, it seems the UK does have some oversight of audiophile voodoo doodoo advertising.
Perhaps this one just hasn't fell under the spotlight.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #17
Getting page not found

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #21
Thanks Arnie and pdq! You learn something new every day!

Plus if these delays were so important the internet would have fallen to pieces through not using these special cables

Yep, we have the trades descriptions act etc in the UK, but Audioquest are a US company aren't they? I'm not sure how that works, but maybe the companies blindly quoting their rubbish can be told to remove it.

$10,000 Ethernet cables

Reply #24
Don't forget the type of NAS the music is stored on matters a lot too. After all, QNAP TS-419P+ sounds tidier, tonally less messy without the roughened HF, and perhaps better integrated in musical intent than a QNAP TS-439 Pro. 

Oh my god, I started reading, skipped some parts but really, are these people that dumb?

Comparing different brands of harddisks and then conclude they sound differently. Don't know what to say