Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.3.1 has been released (Read 102393 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.3.1 has been released

Reply #75
flac on the command line gives the following warning:

FAILURE: Compression failed (ratio 1,000, should be < 1.0).
This happens for some files for one or more of the following reasons:
* Recompressing an existing FLAC from a higher to a lower compression setting.
* Insufficient input data  (eg, very short files, < 10000 frames).
* The audio data is not compressable (eg a full range white noise signal).

I'm also getting this error message and nothing seems to be wrong with the source file for me as well. However, the converted file is smaller than the original one but it's still listed as 1.3.0 by foobar and has the same MD5 checksum as the original....?!?

I assume that because it failed, it reverted to the original file and discarded the changes. Maybe the verify flag was on?

First I also thought that conversion failed. But it did not. The resulting (bigger than 1.3.0) file had vendor string 1.3.1. (I did the conversion on Linux on the command line.)
What failed is not conversion but compression. 1.3.1 produced a bigger file than the older flac I transcoded.
It also happened that when converting my collection from 1.2.1 to 1.3.0, some files became bigger. But flac 1.3.0 did not gave such a message. This must be a new feature of 1.3.1.

Maybe the error message is a bit misleading by using the word FAILURE because it's actually something like WARNING: COULD NOT PRODUCE SMALLER FILE WITH THE USED SETTINGS. The word failure makes me think that there's a chance of data loss.

Reply #76
The commit http://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commit;h=e9d805dd4374
changed the that calculate autocorrelation. However, the new code
worked slightly (about 4%) slower on Core 2, but with the new
presets the speed decrease can reach ~25%.

This patch enables both old and new functions and chooses between
them at runtime.

https://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commitdi...bf4e63f49647e69
Awesome. 

Reply #77
Thanks Eric and lvqcl for getting the best for both worlds...

Reply #78
@lvqcl: Would you mind to share your windows binaries with the latest patch again?

Reply #81
@tuNk77: No, this one with the runtime decision for old/new intel cpu...

@AiZ: thanks for the compile:
Code: [Select]
Encoder                   Options                     Process time    FLAC file size
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
flac 1.3.1_core2 (lvqcl)  -8                          45.084 sec      292.127.317 bytes
flac 1.3.1_core2 (lvqcl)  -l 12 -b 4096 -m -e -r 6    50.856 sec      292.407.763 bytes

flac 1.3.1_git-e78accd    -8                          45.115 sec      292.091.184 bytes
flac 1.3.1_git-e78accd    -l 12 -b 4096 -m -e -r 6    50.559 sec      292.397.538 bytes

So, same process times as lvqcl's "old intel" compile, but (a little surprising) slightly smaller flac files.

Reply #82
git-e78accd binaries (win32 & win64).

Which commit is that? I can't find a commit e78accd?
So, same process times as lvqcl's "old intel" compile, but (a little surprising) slightly smaller flac files.

I don't know which commit AiZ compiled from, but it is probably due to this patch: http://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commit;h...e29b5969d04be97
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #84
From git log:

Improve LPC order guess

The recent compression preset retuning improved upon most material
but it the few tracks that show regression are usually classical
music. This patch improves compression by improving the LPC order
guess, of which classical music benefits most.

Improvement is 0.007% on average but up to 0.1%. I haven't seen
regressions for any of my test samples.

That would explain the smaller FLAC files...

Reply #85
Hey guys,

I recently discovered this forum which I have found to be an excellent source of information for setting up & using EAC with FLAC for CD archives.

Is there any reason I should (or shouldn't) replace the bundled version of FLAC in Exact Audio Copy V1.0b3 (FLAC 1.2.1) with FLAC 1.3.1? Thanks.

Bartier

Reply #86
You definitely should replace it with the newer version. The new version has fixed various bugs (though the worst ones were related to mono and 24-bit sources, not relevant to CD), it creates smaller encodes and it does it faster.

Reply #87
Thanks, Case. Is there any downside at all to upgrading? Is there a possibility that files encoded with the new version can't be read by certain players?

Reply #88
Thanks, Case. Is there any downside at all to upgrading? Is there a possibility that files encoded with the new version can't be read by certain players?

Since the file specification hasn't changed, all files produced by the new encoder will work the same as ones from the previous version.  So there really isn't any downside.

Reply #89

Since the file specification hasn't changed, all files produced by the new encoder will work the same as ones from the previous version.  So there really isn't any downside.

Hopefully this remains to be true: http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2...ber/005370.html

Reply #91
From git log:

Improve LPC order guess

The recent compression preset retuning improved upon most material
but it the few tracks that show regression are usually classical
music. This patch improves compression by improving the LPC order
guess, of which classical music benefits most.

Improvement is 0.007% on average but up to 0.1%. I haven't seen
regressions for any of my test samples.

That would explain the smaller FLAC files...

When transcoding my (mostly Classical music) files from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1, several files became indeed bigger, I even encountered albums where most files and the overall size became bigger.
Now I checked with this git version. The files, which 1.3.1 made bigger did not revert to their 1.3.0 size, some files, however, and mostly files which were small (5-6 MiB and even smaller) became smaller: 0,999 and even 0,998.

Reply #92
[..]
Now I checked with this git version. The files, which 1.3.1 made bigger did not revert to their 1.3.0 size, some files, however, and mostly files which were small (5-6 MiB and even smaller) became smaller: 0,999 and even 0,998.

Do you mean with this git version they are smaller than they were with 1.3.0?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #93
I cant get flac 1.3.1 to work with EAC in copy and test mode, version 1.3.0 and 1.2.1 works perfectly... any clue?

I'm using the same command line as always:
-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%"
[...]

I just end up with the .wav files, the compression window shows for 1 sec before shutting down.

Reply #94
I cant get flac 1.3.1 to work with EAC in copy and test mode...

Just tried it with no problem.  Is that really your complete commandline?  You at least need a %source% at the end.

Reply #95
Ahh, no it was not complete command line BUT no %source% i see now. Can't remember removing it though ^^ Do I also need -o %dest% after %source%? Thanks for the help!

Reply #97
Does anyone here know where to find deb files for Ubuntu 14.04?

Reply #98
You can search in this site : askubuntu.com. I once found it there.

Reply #99
You can search in this site : askubuntu.com. I once found it there.

Most of the time, I use a bash script to convert my audio files. In this script, I am now using wine to call flac. That works great, so I guess I'll be using that for the time being.