Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: So MPC at it Greatest Sound Quality... (Read 9124 times) previous topic - next topic

So MPC at it Greatest Sound Quality...

Hi,

Recently I've been exploring formats, and I had to convert a 192 KBp/s .mpc collection (MP3 Player doesn't support MPC). I convertted it to OGG, and the converter automatically chose OGG 160KBp/s. So I'm wondering; is MPC at better choice at their greatest qualities? If I were to rip a CD with OGG at it's highest sound quality selections, and ripped it again with MPC @ it's highest settings, MPC would sound better? I noticed OGG can go to 500 KBp/s... what can MPC go to?

Thanks in Advance!

Reply #1
Ogg and MPC can both reach transparency for most users. The difference is that MPC will do it at a lower bitrate, and much more consistently, with fewer problem samples.

Pre-echo is much better with MPC than with any other lossy encoder as well.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #2
They can both achieve quality indistinguishable from the CD source. And they'll both do that at a significantly lower bitrate than 500kbps.

Bit rate is not measure of quality. Quality is a measure of quality.

Reply #3
They can both achieve quality indistinguishable from the CD source. And they'll both do that at a significantly lower bitrate than 500kbps.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245772"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm... so then which one can you rip a CD with and will have a lower bitrate? What about VBR?

Reply #4

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245772"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm... so then which one can you rip a CD with and will have a lower bitrate? What about VBR?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=245773"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is at this point that the usual answer is, read the FAQ's, use the search feature, and do some listening tests for yourself. This topic has been beaten to death many times already.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #5
@buffalo bill, mpc and ogg are both vbr