Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Public, Multiformat Listening Test @ 64 kbps - OPEN (Read 118760 times) previous topic - next topic

Public, Multiformat Listening Test @ 64 kbps - OPEN

Reply #25
Same here =)
This is awesome, first time I participate in such test <3

The Deutsch man was an interesting soundclip, first I thought this is gonna be impossible to distinguish but turned out it was one of the easiest so far

Interesting. I thought he was pretty tricky. At least as difficult as the rest.

(5/18 samples done, almost 6.)
davidnaylor.org

Reply #26

Same here =)
This is awesome, first time I participate in such test <3

The Deutsch man was an interesting soundclip, first I thought this is gonna be impossible to distinguish but turned out it was one of the easiest so far

Interesting. I thought he was pretty tricky. At least as difficult as the rest.

(5/18 samples done, almost 6.)

I'm a first time listening test participant too, using an old TB Santa Cruz with Sennheiser HD465. Currently 12/18 samples done. I'm completely surprised at how good 64KBps sounds! And the high anchor is transparent most of the time for me.

Last time I tried 64kbps sounded less than impressive, but if the improvements keep up, I'm sure it'll sound transparent for me in a not too distant future.

edit: all samples tested. I'm shocked that I for the most part only hear the difference in distortions that exist in the original but somehow get mangled in the lossy versions. The music itself doesn't sound much different in my ears (which admittedly aren't that great)

Reply #28
Working on a few now.  It's definitely still do-able at this bitrate, even though the codecs have significantly improved since the last time I tried one of these.  I don't like the signature sound of one of the competitors (and I have my suspicions on which one it is).

I showed my 12 year old boy how the testing works.  His young ears can hear more acutely than mine, but I still have the better ability to pick out differences in codecs.  A lot of it is knowing where to listen.

Three real competitors seems like a good number to compare.

Reply #29
The high anchor's got me, can't abx ~96 kbps confirmed.     

Reply #30
 The test is not finished... Why is there no link to the samples?

Reply #32
It's in the readme: http://www.listening-tests.info/mf-64-1/

Thanks!
But I think the Unix scripts were not included, don't know why. They seem to still work perfectly.

How to for MacOS X:
* Get the Ogg Vorbis, FAAD and WavPack binaries from rarewares.org
* Rename faad_OSX to faad and make it executable:
chmod +x faad
* Make sure that the vorbis, faad and wavpack decoders are in your path. If you copied them in the 'bin' folder:
export PATH=${PATH}:bin
* Download the abc-hr_bin.zip from Roberto's listening test
* Copy decodeall.sh to Sebastian's listening test folder
* Edit clicodecs.cfg:
Code: [Select]
wv, wvunpack -q -o %o %i
flac, flac -d -s -o %o %i
mp3, madplay -Q -o %o %i
mpc, mppdec --silent %i %o
mp4, faad -o %o %i
m4a, faad -o %o %i
ape, mac %i %o -d
ogg, oggdec -Q -b 16 -o %o %i

* Run the script:
./decodeall.sh

You will need to have all the samples unzipped before running the script, as described in the doc.

Edit: wavpack was missing from the config file

Reply #33
Thank you for the tutorial.
I would suggest using Nero AAC Decoder instead of faad, just like in windows setup.

Reply #34
I would suggest using Nero AAC Decoder instead of faad, just like in windows setup.

There does not seem to be any MacOS X version on the Nero website or rarewares.org. Do you know a place to get it?

Reply #35
Oh, yes you are right.
Sorry.

Reply #36
Can I be one of the first to request an extension to the test as I've just got home from an overseas holiday (Fiji - very nice  ) & won't have time to listen properly until this weekend, pretty please?
Vorbis -q3 works for me.

Reply #37
Man!

Is it just me or is anyone else having a tough time differentiating between Ogg Vorbis AoTuV 5 Beta and Nero HE-AAC Jul 20 2007? This is a nice test. I'll have to sit down and really go through all the samples but man... I'm impressed with how well these two codec's have been developed.

Reply #38
Man!

Is it just me or is anyone else having a tough time differentiating between Ogg Vorbis AoTuV 5 Beta and Nero HE-AAC Jul 20 2007? This is a nice test. I'll have to sit down and really go through all the samples but man... I'm impressed with how well these two codec's have been developed.

Well I atleast "think" vorbis and he-aac goes kinda on the same level
I also have my suspicion that its the wma that sounds crap (next to low anchor ofc) ^^
Time will tell when the test is finished, I still got 7 tests to go through...gaah!

Reply #39
I would like to see as many listeners as possible participating in this test and thus it would be great if Mares would postpone closing for a week or more.

Reply #40

Thinking of it since I am using FAAD my Nero HE-AAC results will be useless... I will be testing only the AAC part in it. Will be like a 48kbps contender!
Sebastian should I continue testing?

Reply #41
Can you decode files on some other system and then only copy wav files?
Can somebody put decoded files online?

Reply #42

Thinking of it since I am using FAAD my Nero HE-AAC results will be useless... I will be testing only the AAC part in it. Will be like a 48kbps contender!
Sebastian should I continue testing?

FAAD2 also decodes the SBR part, no problem. Only problem is that the delay is not compensated and therefore it might be easier for you to pick out the AAC files.
I can check what the delay is

Hmm actually it seems the MacOS version on rarwares is pretty old. Maybe it doesn't have SBR?

The delay you should cut from the beginning of your wav files is 2624 samples.

Reply #43
Isn't FAAD capabile of decoding HE-AAC?

Bleh, too slow. That's what happens when you open sites in new tabs and view them only after minutes...

As for postponing, I will think about that. There are some days left, so no hurry.

Reply #44
Regarding the HE-AAC problem - bear in mind that the WAV files you produce have to be identical to the ones produced by the Nero decoder since the encrypted configuration files also contain hashes of the WAV files. Maybe someone who has some webspace can put the WAV files online.

Reply #45
The ABC-HR program did not complain when I used Quicktime-decoded HE-AAC files (which do sound different from FAAC-decoded files)
Maybe someone who has some webspace can put the WAV files online.

Yes please! WavPack format would be top.

Reply #47
I uploaded the decoded Nero files somewhere. If there are more people who need this (so users that don't use x86 linux or windows), please send me a PM and I will give you the link (don't want too much traffic).

Regards,
Menno

Reply #48
I for one could use a few extra days. Each sample takes quite a while, and you only have so much free time after work.

Are we pressed for time? If so, why?
davidnaylor.org

Reply #49
I woild like that too, im very short on hours this week