Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: volume limiter of ipod (Read 4784 times) previous topic - next topic

volume limiter of ipod

Hi

Well I have been  looking for this for a long time but I could't post it here. I want to know how does a volume limiter in iPod nano works. It asks to set a desired level of sound , and then the user puts a password. for example if the user sets the max sound level to 50% . then the output delivered by the ipod is just 50% percent of what max it could deliver. If someone wants to play it louder at full volume he will have to provide the password. My question is :

1-How it will be done on PC

2-I have ipodlinux loaded on my nano ipod. How would I  proceed to develop the limiter  on iPod. (I have developed some simple  programs on ipod , so programming is not a problem, but i dont know how do I proceed to limit audio out put in this case )

please provide my any idea u have .
thanx in advance
ipodlinux_india

volume limiter of ipod

Reply #1
Hi!

I have the same question as ipodlinux_india, so I bring up the topic.

Basically what I am looking for is the iPod's volume limiter for the desktop in general. How is it safe to use a web browser with headphones on? With all the different flash websites producing different sound levels... I am looking for the safety limit option, such as built in the iPod. Is there such a solution for the desktop?

My first post here, hello everybody!

volume limiter of ipod

Reply #2
The iPod volume limiter option doesn't normalize loudness, it just prevents the highest volume settings from being accessible. Mostly meant for parents to keep their kids from blowing their ears out, I think.

The shortest answer to your question, I believe, is "use Vista". The long answer: some form of inline dynamic range compression/limiting in the OS playback chain; you might be able to find something that works on XP but Vista has it built-in.

volume limiter of ipod

Reply #3
Axon,

Can you tell me how the volume limiter is called in Vista? So I can Google it and check it on my friend's machine.

Here is the info on the iPod's volume limit:
http://www.apple.com/sound/
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38403?viewlocale=en_US
http://www.apple.com/sound/faq.html

My question about it is: let's say I listen to an album on iPod, which is recorded at the same sound level, then comes another track which is recorded relatively twice as loud than the album I previously listened to, what will happen? The volume limit caps off too loud sounds, so the song recorded twice as loud will sound on a normal volume?

Thanks for explaining!

volume limiter of ipod

Reply #4
If it works anything like the iPod Classic (and I'm pretty sure it does), you might be confusing two different things. The volume limiter as Axon said only limits volume. It won't let you raise the volume past a certain point. The relative differences in song levels will still be the same. The other thing is the "Sound Check" option, which attempts to be a normalizer (it kinda fails IMO, especially after trying ReplayGain). That is supposed to get rid of relative differences, but I still run into volume trouble sometimes. Still, it can be better than with it turned off.

What I think Axon said about Vista is not that it can normalize audio, but instead, it will give you a volume slider for every application running that is producing sound. You'll have to adjust manually, but you can adjust them relative to one another.

Something that also attempts to do something like that and might help you is the "SVN" feature of Asus Xonar cards. That will limit the volume when it detects it's going too loud. The thing is that from what I can tell it's just a cheap implementation. Once your sound level attempts to go too high, it will be limited on-the-fly. I'm not sure if it will also raise volume when it's too low, but one way or the other it will limit your dynamic range. And it can sound weird if you're listening to music or a movie, but if it's only websites and flash and all that, it might serve you well.

volume limiter of ipod

Reply #5
The other thing is the "Sound Check" option, which attempts to be a normalizer (it kinda fails IMO, especially after trying ReplayGain).

IMHO Sound Check works the same like ReplayGain. Just the way iTunes measures the volume is a bit different. But if you use foobar or something similar the ReplayGain values will automatically be converted into Sound Check values. S the result should be exactly the same.