Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiformat Listening Test @ 48 kbps - OPEN (Read 77259 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiformat Listening Test @ 48 kbps - OPEN

Reply #50
I have to say that even using headphones (Senn HD555) for some samples I couldn't tell the difference from the original. For others the differences were very subtle.
Either codecs improved a lot or I am losing my hearing (or both!!)

Reply #51
High anchor for some samples is indistinguishable  for me. As it's 48 kbit/s  test I expect that the result is still valid  if only high anchor isn't spotted.

Reply #52
As it's 48 kbit/s  test I expect that the result is still valid  if only high anchor isn't spotted.

The result is valid if you don't spot anything :B

Why should only people that can hear artifacts be allowed to participate?

Reply #53
The result is valid if you don't spot anything :B

Why should only people that can hear artifacts be allowed to participate?

Yep. It's real life test.
In extremal case listener can be totally deaf or has serious  problem with hearing. But it's not common in this forum.

Reply #54
I'm getting a weird hang when adjusting the playback range in the ABX section (only happens occassionally, but it's catastrophic when it does happen)

Reply #56
I had it hang once or twice as well. Also, it seemed that whenever I saved my session, I was unable to change the rating sliders without first reloading the session, but everything else still works.

Reply #57
This is soo cool.  If I have time I'm going to complete all of the samples.

Reply #58
I managed to decompress files on Linux using

Code: [Select]
wine cmd /c Sample05.bat
(instead of wine wcmd as it states in the docs)

Using Wine 0.9.22 on Ubuntu

Reply #59
I sent you my 20 test results also now, just wanted to make sure you got them. Fun test!

Reply #61
Thanks to all involved!  I'm not going to go into any extensive ABX testing...if it's imperceptible, then I'm voting 5.  This is mainly due to my left ear hyperacusis, which tends to interfere with involved listening tests such as these.  I hope these will be acceptable results!

I hope this doesn't skew the results too much but many times I think I have a good idea which sample is AAC+ based on that SBR graininess. :X

Reply #62
The samples are often pretty easy to pick out (though there's one or two contenders that do a good job!), so don't worry too much.

Reply #66
Sebastian, did u get results from trans at mchsi.com? ;) Just want to be sure they made it past any spam filters.

Reply #68
Just out of curiosity, how many samples so far? Is the participation on this test being significant?

Reply #70
Good to hear that you're getting plenty of testers.

Reply #71
OK, I decrypted all result files, sorted them automatically using ABC/HR and the wonderful ReNamer with its regexp replacing method, eliminated all invalid results (ranked reference without ABX test) and then counted:

Sample01: 13
Sample02: 15
Sample03: 13
Sample04: 13
Sample05: 13
Sample06: 10
Sample07: 16
Sample08: 12
Sample09: 16
Sample10: 12
Sample11: 13
Sample12: 12
Sample13: 13
Sample14: 14
Sample15: 14
Sample16: 14
Sample17: 12
Sample18: 15
Sample19: 15
Sample20: 15

Reply #73
OK, I decrypted all result files, sorted them automatically using ABC/HR and the wonderful ReNamer with its regexp replacing method, eliminated all invalid results (ranked reference without ABX test) and then counted:

".. without ABX test".

Isn't enough just to move the sliders up and down and then save via "Save Test Results.." ?