Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %album artist% in Album Browser (Read 2857 times) previous topic - next topic

%album artist% in Album Browser

I am using foo_browser to give me an itunes like listing UI.

I currently only have 2 panels, Artist, and Album.

On my Artist panel, I would like the list to show 'Various' (the album artist tag) when it encounters the album-artist tag in id3, as opposed to listing every artist that is within 1 compilation album.

I guess I need some format code to go in the artist panel setup box?

Code: [Select]
$if2(%artist%,<MISSING>)

Sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times before.. I did a search, didn't find terribly much, and tried a few things with no luck...

Reply #1
Try %album artist% instead of %artist%.  Should work...that is what I use.  The %artist% code will pull out the ARTIST tag first, then ALBUM ARTIST if there is no ARTIST.  The %album artist% code will pull out ALBUM ARTIST first, then ARTIST is there is no ALBUM ARTIST.

Reply #2
Try %album artist% instead of %artist%.  Should work...that is what I use.  The %artist% code will pull out the ARTIST tag first, then ALBUM ARTIST if there is no ARTIST.  The %album artist% code will pull out ALBUM ARTIST first, then ARTIST is there is no ALBUM ARTIST.

Ahh so simple  Thanks works a treat... had to shift-right-click and switch views to album and back to get update....

What is the difference between the format and sort fields?

Reply #3
The sort field allows to perform a specific type of sort using that field.

For instance, if you put
Code: [Select]
$if($strcmp($left(%album artist%,4),The ),$right(%album artist%,$sub($len(%album artist%),4))', 'The,%album artist%)

into the sort field, then it will ignore "The" at the start of the ARTIST field.  This would result in "The Beatles" being sorted into the B's rather than in the T's.  It would still display it as "The Beatles" even though it is sorting as if it is "Beatles, The".