Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Low end hi-fi stereo replacement (Read 3898 times) previous topic - next topic

Low end hi-fi stereo replacement

Hi all.

I've been using for 20 years or so an Aiwa NSX-522 mini hi-fi system (not sure if this is the right definition): front and back.

The left channel has stopped working and I'm now looking for an alternative solution.

I'm not an audiophile, I think my requirements are really basic:

• Low cost (100-200€ range)
  • Connected to a PC (in practice I ONLY use it to listen to Internet radios and my digital music collection
  • Possibility to feed the speakers in two adjacent rooms: currently (please don't laugh) I plugged the cables of all speakers in the jacks you can see in the lower right corner of the back image... less than ideal I suppose, but works for me. ;)

What are your suggestions?

TIA.

Alessandro

Re: Low end hi-fi stereo replacement

Reply #1
My tip Panasonic  https://www.alza.co.uk/panasonic-sc-pmx70eg-stribrny-d2419873.htm?catid=18857212

Unfortunately it does not seem to be able to feed two set of speakers, that can be done by this Yamaha receiver

https://www.alza.co.uk/yamaha-r-s202d-stribrny-d4421668.htm?catid=18851665?layoutAutoChange=1

But you have to add separate speakers and that will be above the price range you specified in total.

If you are not very tight on budget the Yamaha solution could serve for the purposes you mentioned (source will be PC).

Reply #2
Thanks for taking time to reply.

I was afraid #3 would be hard with my limited budget.

But you have to add separate speakers
Does it mean I cannot use the speakers I currently have? I was hoping I could keep at least a couple, as they are still functioning. Supposing I'm willing to spend a bit more and buy some new speakers, what would you recommend?

Regards.

Reply #3
If they have compatible impedance (Ohm) they could be reused but if they are 20 years old you can probably get better with new ones. If you are tight on budget you can try the old one and if they do not work well you can buy newer later.

Reply #4
Pioneer SX-20 and Yamaha R-S201.

Both of them do regular stereo channels, and they support dual speakers (4 speakers on 2 channels, seems to be just what you need for your setup).

They're ~150 - 180 Euros, so they should be in your range. You can attach bookshelf speakers without problems, I'm assuming you'll hold on to your speakers, and just get rid of the stereo system, so that'll work fine.

Now, keep in mind those receivers don't have a low-frequency output, so attaching a subwoofer isn't gonna work, just like that, should you want one.

Note that both receivers have 1 × Stereo Out (RCA), so you actually can attach an extra active subwoofer, should you ever want to upgrade your system a little bit.

I've listened to both with the same source (even the same files) through my tablet, and I can confirm they sound really good.

Reply #5
Thanks jumpingjackflash5 and polemon for your help and apologies for the delay.

What is worrying me most is the compatibility with my speakers.

In one shop I visited selling the Yamaha R-S202D, the salesperson told me that the minimum impedance required for a dual speakers setup is 16 Ohm and that using speakers with lower impedance (as mine) could work but could also damage the equipment in the long run.

I have no idea if it's true, but if this is the case then I'm in trouble: buying also two new sets of speakers is definitely beyond my budget. :(

Can you suggest any cheaper alternative?

Alessandro

Reply #6
The rear panel of the Yamaha 201/202 says minimum 8 ohm speakers.  What are yours?

Reply #7
In the rear of one set it's reported 6 ohm. The other set I have no idea: it's a pair of really old (20 or 30 years :-[) Telefunken, I suppose they are 6 ohm as well, but I don't know how to check.

Reply #8
The combined load would then be 3 ohms. If you ran them in series then it would be 12 ohms.

Consider buying a second power amplifier for around $30.

Reply #9
It's hard to predict exactly what will happen but I believe you'll be fine with the Yamaha so long as you don't play at high volumes.  To drive low impedance speakers your amplifier needs a beefy power supply and these are typically not found on low-price components.  (Although that little Aiwa somehow could handle it.)  So long as you buy it somewhere where you have a return period this shouldn't be a problem.  It won't "break" if it can't drive the load; it'll just shut down until it has cooled off a bit.  If you're not satisfied, take it back.

Reply #10
To drive low impedance speakers your amplifier needs a beefy power supply
...and an effective way to dissipate heat.

(Although that little Aiwa somehow could handle it.)
The left channel has stopped working

it'll just shut down until it has cooled off a bit.
You're 100% certain of this?!?

Reply #11
it'll just shut down until it has cooled off a bit.
You're 100% certain of this?!?
Uh, no, but it should.  At low to moderate volume I think he will be ok.  This new receiver will also have "A/B/A+B" speaker switching so using both A+B only when necessary will also present an easier load.

Reply #12
Before anything else, thank you all for your input.

Much to my shame, I must admit part of it just flew over my head: English isn't my primary language and, more importantly, I lack the background to grasp even the basic concepts of electricity (Amps, Watts, Volts, Ohms and Impedance are rather obscure words to me).

So bear with me while I recap what I think I understand and correct any major mistake:

1. the damage to my old Aiwa (which I initially ascribed to age) could have been caused by my misuse (although the current setup has served me well for some years now)

2. the salesman was not exaggerating when he warned me about potential issues connecting my speakers to the Yamaha device

3, an unexpensive way to safely use them is buying "a second power amplifier"

4. listening at moderate volume (which I do anyway) and turning on BOTH sets of speakers only when necessary would reduce the risk of damage

If the above is correct, and there are no better alternatives in the same price range, could you show me an example of second amplifier and briefly explain how should I put the various pieces together?

Thanks for your patience.

Alessandro

Reply #13
1. the damage to my old Aiwa (which I initially ascribed to age) could have been caused by my misuse (although the current setup has served me well for some years now)
You had it for years, so you obviously didn't push it too hard.  The higher load may not have been the cause, but it didn't help matters.

2. the salesman was not exaggerating when he warned me about potential issues connecting my speakers to the Yamaha device
Correct, even if protection circuitry is present and operating correctly, I would consider temporary loss of sound as an issue.

could you show me an example of second amplifier and briefly explain how should I put the various pieces together?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=597464&gclid=CjwKEAjwsuK_BRDD9ISR1bawwUwSJACbOiixcQ8zJeqqpJgQSjfNFDeDPxf2CwBebhP9zC2qMlVFJBoCDjLw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C89827194362%2C&A=details&Q=

A line out on the primary receiver would be the most convenient way to connect a secondary amplifier.

Reply #14
Something like this then?

PC Soundcard --> Yamaha --> Secondary Amplifier --> 4 Speakers

In this case I suppose the A/B/A+B switch on the Yamaha will be useless, correct? And I could save some bucks buying a primary receiver capable of feeding only one set of speakers?

Or maybe you had this configuration in mind?

PC Soundcard --> Yamaha --> Secondary Amplifier --> 2 Speakers
                                          |--> 2 Speakers

Reply #15
I had simmilar setup for years, cheap Yamaha amplifier, and two sets of speakers, both were 8 ohm, connected to those AB terminals. Even whith lower impedance your amp won't instantly burn away as long as you are listening to low volume. My amp was 2x70W at 8 ohms, so it had enough power to drive those speakers with normal listening volumes. I had that setup for 10 years, no problems.
You could buy higher efficiency speakers (90 dB or more) to get more loudness at the same amplification, but they would be more expensive - get used amp and speakers, for 200 € you can get decent setup. Spend most of the money on speakers, leave sme for amplifier :)
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #16
I finally resolved to buy a Pioneer SX-20DAB.

Price was just slightly higher than the suggested SX-20 and should be compatible with my current speakers as long as I don't use A+B simultaneously.

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated.

Alessandro

Reply #17
Enjoy!