Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bad disc or drive? (Read 4464 times) previous topic - next topic

Bad disc or drive?

I am trying to rip a brand new CD into FLAC using EAC (99b5) and after more than 3 hours it is still only on track 4 of 11! The "Est. Remaining" field shows nearly 10 hours.

Before I started I carefully set up EAC (with AccurateRip & FLAC) using one of the preferred online tutorials, and my drive is a Plextor PX-810SA which is fairly new. The CD is a fresh out of the package (no dust, fingerprints or scratches) Latin Jazz CD.

I have it running in "Test and Copy" mode, NOT paranoid mode. Each of the first 3 tracks ripped and compressed is showing sync errors. Is the CD bad or could it be my drive?

Thanks

Bad disc or drive?

Reply #1
Have you seen any problems with any other discs?

Bad disc or drive?

Reply #2
Have you seen any problems with any other discs?

I haven't ripped any new CDs in a while, but I've never had one rip this slowly ever before.

In the "error correction" red checkerboxes, the top 16 boxes fill left to right on each sequential read of the disc before it proceeds.  It never goes any further than just those top 16 boxes.

This is a new one, I've ripped over 1000 CDs over the last few years.  If it is a bad disc it is unfortunate, as I bought this at a small outdoor concert of a local band while I was traveling.  Not certain I can even replace it.

Bad disc or drive?

Reply #3
as I bought this at a small outdoor concert of a local band while I was traveling. Not certain I can even replace it.
It's probably a "burned" CD, and it may have been a bad blank, or something else went wrong during burning.  I've had enough "bad burns", that I now check all of my CDs & DVDs with Nero CD-DVD Speed after burning. 

Maybe the band has a website?  If so, maybe they will replace the CD, or maybe you can buy a replacement? 

Each of the first 3 tracks ripped and compressed is showing sync errors.
  How do the ripped tracks y sound?  If they sound OK, you might want to continue with the remaing tracks. 

If you can't get a usable rip, you can try making an analog copy.  You might only need to make analog copies of the worst tracks.    Audiograbber[/u] has an analog mode, or you might get better results recording from a stand-alone CD player plugged-into line-in.

Bad disc or drive?

Reply #4
I have it running in "Test and Copy" mode, NOT paranoid mode. Each of the first 3 tracks ripped and compressed is showing sync errors. Is the CD bad or could it be my drive?

Well, you are using the "kinda paranoid mode" - Secure mode. 

Try ripping in Burst Mode. Go to Drive Options to change this setting.

Bad disc or drive?

Reply #5
I agree, try burst and maybe limit the speed of your drive in the settings to the lowest possible. This is the first thing I try when I come across problematic discs and it usually works the best for me at least on my Lite-On drives.

Use test/copy to verify CRC. if these matches you probably have a good copy, but listen to it to check just in case.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Bad disc or drive?

Reply #6
Turns out the DVD drive was bad.  I put in my new BluRay drive and it ripped it error free in under ten minutes.