Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lamedropXPd3 (Read 37462 times) previous topic - next topic

lamedropXPd3

I currently have a very much work-in-progress version of lamedropXPd that has all-new wave and FLAC input routines. The single binary will encode from wave files and transcode from ogg and FLAC files. This 'alpha 1' version appears to work perfectly OK and performs the functions of the current normal and libsndfile versions in one binary. I should mention that oggflac files are not catered for but I don't really see that as an issue.

If anyone would like to try this, and I'd appreciate the file routines being given a 'good seeing to', it can be downloaded from: http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedropXPd3.0a1.zip

The intention is to extend this to copying ogg and FLAC comments into id3 tags, but I've not even looked at this yet.

EDIT: I should just mention that this is compiled against the 3.98 release libs.

EDIT 2: Alpha 2 can be downloaded from: http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedropXPd3.0a2.zip

EDIT 3: Alpha 3 can be downloaded from: http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedropXPd3.0a3.zip

EDIT 4: Beta 1 can be downloaded from: http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedropXPd3.0b1.zip

EDIT 5: Beta 2 can be downloaded from: http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedropXPd3.0b2.zip

EDIT 6: Beta 1 can be downloaded from: http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/lamedropXPd3.0b3.zip

lamedropXPd3

Reply #1
I encoded some flac and ogg files, flawless :-)

lamedropXPd3

Reply #3
I've tested this first alpha somewhat extensively as well. I encoded single FLAC files, small sets of FLAC files and large sets of FLAC files. I tested all of the files in foobar2000 and everything appeared to be normal up to this point.

If you end up creating tag copying functions from input files, lamedropXP would be a boon to novice users everywhere. One other feature to give some thought potentially, to have directory creation from tag values in the output directory.

Excellent work sir.

P.S. - I would like to personally thank you for all the time and effort you put into compiling new versions of encoders and creating excellent utilities like lamedropXP.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #4
I'm not sure if this thread is a solicitation for features, but the one nice thing I'd like to see is the ability to apply replaygain values directly to the encoded MP3 files (just like OggDropXPd can do) from the replaygain tags in the FLAC files.  Foobar also has this feature for MP3 encoding and it's useful for portables and/or other hardware that does not read replaygain values directly from tags.  That would make LameDropXPd complete i/m/o.

I work a ton during the week, but I can test this alpha version thoroughly during the upcoming weekend.  In the meantime, I'd also like to thank John33 very much for working on this encoder.

P.S.  I noticed this alpha version still has the Variable Bitrate Mode setting options of Fast and Standard.  I'm assuming we still need to toggle "Fast" in order for Lame 3.98 to use --vbr-new (which is now Standard in 3.98).  I think this could be a source of confusion for people if not clarified or re-worked.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #5
Thanks for the input, guys. 

This is really the first stage in doing what I've said I would in past and have not yet done!!  So, yes, I do intend providing tag copying, the use of RG values on conversion and, finally, the oggdropXPd tagging option set. I'm not sure how long this will take, but I'll probably release in two or three stages pretty much in the order outlined above.

I'll use this thread for updates.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #6
Some progress to report! 

I'm at the point now where I have a version that copies comments from both FLAC and ogg files, and seems to work fine. Once I've enabled this as an option, it always copies at present, and I've also provided the option to use RG values for scaling, I'll upload another version for testing. I'm hopeful of doing this either later today, or sometime tomorrow.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #7
Some progress to report! 

I'm at the point now where I have a version that copies comments from both FLAC and ogg files, and seems to work fine. Once I've enabled this as an option, it always copies at present, and I've also provided the option to use RG values for scaling, I'll upload another version for testing. I'm hopeful of doing this either later today, or sometime tomorrow.

OK, now we're talking.  I'll start cracking my knuckles for some weekend testing. 

lamedropXPd3

Reply #8
I've just uploaded alpha 2 - download link on the first post.

This provides the option to copy the basic set of vorbis tags from ogg/FLAC files. The tags supported are: Artist, Album, Title, Date, Track Number and Genre. Your on your own for anything else.  I've also provided the option to use either the Track or Album RG vorbis tags, from both ogg and FLAC input, to scale the input prior to mp3 encoding. This does not use mp3gain in any way, the input data is scaled.

You may want to place this in a different directory/folder to the normal versions as the ini file has been expanded. Either way, probably best to delete the old ini file and start fresh.

This has been tested, but not exhaustively by any stretch.

Any comments welcome. Please post here and as I'm away in a couple of hours until late Sunday, I'll check this thread on my return.

I do still plan to expand the general tagging along the lines of oggdropXPd, but that will take rather longer. This may have to wait until after a short break away from 22 until 29 July. 

Have fun!

lamedropXPd3

Reply #9
I was so happy to hear of the new lamedrop version with flac support. Big thanks to john33!!!  :P

The transcoding process from flac to mp3 is working flawless for me.

Maybe you can create an option to chose the tags to copy. like "Trackname", "Artist", "Album", "Track".... Just the main ones.
That would make the tool perfect in my eyes. :-)

Have a nice one John

lamedropXPd3

Reply #10
I tried to convert some flac files with alpha 2, and it works quite well

One thing is buging me however :

My track numbers have a zero before the first digit, ie.

Tool - Lateralus 01 The Grudge

The zero is not included in the mp3 tag ; I get this :

Tool - Lateralus 1 The Grudge

It's not that important however, just wanted to point it out

lamedropXPd3

Reply #11
I tried to convert some flac files with alpha 2, and it works quite well

One thing is buging me however :

My track numbers have a zero before the first digit, ie.

Tool - Lateralus 01 The Grudge

The zero is not included in the mp3 tag ; I get this :

Tool - Lateralus 1 The Grudge

It's not that important however, just wanted to point it out

This is because LAME converts the text to an integer. I don't know whether id3 requires it as an integer, or whether LAME stores it this way to be sure it's numeric.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #12
LAME 3.98 will store the track number as-is in case of ID3v2.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #13
Tagging Setup Options is stuck on "Copy oggvorbis/FLAC comments" radio button.  Selecting either Default Options or Custom Options and hitting Accept will not hold as a setting, it keeps going back to "copy oggvorbis/flac comments".  Also, there needs to be an option to turn off tagging in case someone doesn't want to copy over tags from FLAC files.

Replaygain scaling seems to be working OK, however I'm getting slightly different peak readings when compared to foobar.  I don't know enough about how the scaling of these two tools are set up to know if these peak readings should match or not.  But they're close enough and the feature seems to be working.

On my tests, using an Approx. Bitrate setting of 179 kbps and Variable Bitrate Mode: Fast seems to be equivalent to -V4 --vbr-new in Foobar.  I still wish you'd line up the quality settings scale with the various -V(0-9) settings we are all used to using and as recommended in the Wiki.  A scale of 10-100 (low to high) uses opposite quality logic of -V0 through -V9 (high to low).

Lastly, any thought of eliminating altogether the Variable Bitrate Mode: setting of Fast and Standard since 3.98 is using --vbr-new as default?  If anything, "Standard" should now be the toggle for --vbr-new, and Fast should probably be changed to something like "Old".  I thought you mentioned in a previous post you had already addressed that issue.

I know most of the above is cosmetic feedback, but I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway.  As far as the encoding, it seems to be working fine.  I'll keep testing to see what else I discover.

Thanks again for all your efforts! 

lamedropXPd3

Reply #14
Thanks for the feedback. I had thought I'd got the Tagging Setup sorted, but I did do it rather hurriedly on Friday and, clearly, it's not quite right. I'll get on it!

Regarding the Quality settings, it's set the way it is because that was Gabriel's recommendation as it matches the Fraunhoffer Quality setting scheme. However, I think I may amend it to show both schemes, hopefully without introducing confusion! I think, also, that it is probably time to retire the vbr-old method thus removing another opportunity for less than optimal settings. 

Again, thanks for the input and I'll try to post a 'sorted' and slightly re-worked compile later today.

(I'm glad that at least the transcoding and re-scaling appear to be OK!  )

lamedropXPd3

Reply #15
Dealing with Robert's comment, yes, if you select id3V2 only, then the 2 digit, with leading zero, Track Number is preserved. The leading zero is lost if id3V1 is used at all.

Alpha 3 is now available for download - link on 1st post.

I have added the corresponding Vn values to the Quality scale indicator.
I have removed the VBR Method option - fast is always used.
I have fixed the Tagging Option dialogue. Please note that if you have selected to use ogg/FLAC RG values for scaling, copying of the ogg/FLAC tags is non-optional and the other options are 'greyed out'.

I think this now all works OK, but, as always, please let me know.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #16
This build seems perfect to me.

I encoded some albums, from flac and raw wav, averything is fine

Thanks for your work !

lamedropXPd3

Reply #17
Is it possible to add a feature to copy the album art from the flac tag to the id3v2 tag?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #18
Is it possible to add a feature to copy the album art from the flac tag to the id3v2 tag?

I have been wondering when that question might be asked! 

The honest answer is that I have no idea. I know nothing about how it's held and whether the formats are compatible, let me look into it and get back to you. But, in the meantime, if anyone can provide the info, I'm all ears, or should it be eyes in this case?

lamedropXPd3

Reply #19

Right now, the comments copied from the FLAC files are the vorbis-style comments. The Album Art is stored in a FLAC Metadata Picture block. While, as I understand it, the Album Art is stored in a format that is similar to how it is stored in ID3, it's introducing a level of complexity that I don't want to pursue at this time. That's not to say it won't happen at some future date, but it will be near the bottom of the current schedule.

Sorry about that, but I have a habit of over-committing which I have to control!

lamedropXPd3

Reply #20
I have uploaded Beta 1 of this version and it can downloaded from the link on the first post.

I have slightly changed the Encoding Dialogue so that the precise VBR quality setting, to two decimal places, is shown when moving the slider. I have also added a small piece of text below the RG boxes to indicate that selecting one of the options will automatically invoke oggvorbis/FLAC tag copying.

I have decided to move this to beta 1 with a view to releasing this version over the weekend, assuming all is OK. I will complete the changes to the Tagging setup after I return from vacation and will make a separate release then.

I would appreciate an early notification of any bugs/problems, thanks.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #21
Sweet....I'll take a look at this latest beta over the next couple of days and report back.

Edit #1: In the Output Directory Options, selecting "Set Other Output Directory THIS SESSION ONLY" does not function correctly.  Select this option, then choose directory, then accept, then go back into the setting and it goes back to THE STANDARD DEFAULT setting.

lamedropXPd3

Reply #23
Edit #1: In the Output Directory Options, selecting "Set Other Output Directory THIS SESSION ONLY" does not function correctly.  Select this option, then choose directory, then accept, then go back into the setting and it goes back to THE STANDARD DEFAULT setting.

Indeed, but the directory chosen for "this session only" is still valid ; mp3s will be created in the right directory.

Anyway, I didn't found any bug until now

lamedropXPd3

Reply #24
Sweet....I'll take a look at this latest beta over the next couple of days and report back.

The assumption is that if you return to this dialogue, then you want to change something. I accept that it may be a little confusing, but this is how it works in oggdropXPd and users of that seem to find it acceptable. Perhaps not ideal, but as 'le_canz' indicates, it does retain the setting, providing you Cancel at that point, even if it doesn't seem like it! If I think of a better way of dealing with it, then I'll implement it in both but for the moment, I'll leave it as is.