Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Optimized Versions of OGGENC RC3 (Read 11196 times) previous topic - next topic

Optimized Versions of OGGENC RC3

Ive uploaded a couple of versions of OggEnc compiled with Intel Compiler 5.

One Named fast should perform about 20% faster than the version available from www.vorbis.com.

The second has some compiler options changed that should increase the internal precision, values should be rounded rather than trucated, in theory this should improve the quality but in reality it may well be less than 0.01% better.
This version however is about 40% slower than the version available from www.vorbis.com.

I would be interested to know anyones results from this, if there is any improvement.

Update:
You can get the files from here now
http://www.inf.ufpr.br/~rja00/
thanks very much Roberto.

Im also trying to enable control over the chanel coupling to experiment with lossy coupling at higher bitrates, I have not been able to enable this yet however.

Reply #1
Humm... no good for me.

"We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing. "

Geocities doesn't seem to like me. (It's the second time this day I'm gifted with this message)

Reply #2
If you go to http://www.geocities.com/alexwolensuk/ first
then add OGGencI.zip too the end, it should hopefully work.
Ill update the page soon to link too the file, But Id be happy if you would like to put these files on youre web site.

Reply #3
Yeah, I get the same error. I got it on the one with the PsyTEL registration dialog too.

Reply #4
OK, that worked for me. Geoshitties is such a pain...

Reply #5
Originally posted by Alex
If you go to http://www.geocities.com/alexwolensuk/ first
then add OGGencI.zip too the end, it should hopefully work.
Ill update the page soon to link too the file, But Id be happy if you would like to put these files on youre web site.

I would be more than happy to host them!

But that trick you mentioned didn't work for me either. Could you please send the files to rjamorim at yahoo dot com?

Thanks a lot!

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #6
Sending an Email now, Ill update the other link too youre web site, geocities do indeed suck.

I did some testing to compare the encoders using -q 6.

The encoder from www.vorbis.com and the faster Intel compiled version produce identical files according to EAQUAL.

The increased precision version produced files virtually identical a very very small amount better according to EAQUAL.
To be honest the diffrence isnt audible, the files compiled with this version also seem to be about 1kbit/s larger.

Im not having much luck enabling channel coupling control, I havent located it in the source yet. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply #7
Speed on my Celeron 500:
RC3      1.74x
fast      2.07x
quality  1.63x

I also tested quality with EAQUAL, but only on one test file (thewayitis.wav from ff123's samples). The ODG is:
RC3    -0.2838
fast    -0.2838
quality -0.2958

So according to EAQUAL the quality of this sample is a little worse with your quality aimed encoder.

The extra speed of your fast encoder is very welcome though

Reply #8
I have done very little testing of these compiles, fast should function as normal ogg rc3 enocoder. The quality one is just an experiment with alternate compiler settings I will experiment further with this.
Any quality gains from compiler settings arent likely to be very big. Im quite interested on the effects this will have on lower bitrates especially, I think there may be some improvements there hopefully.

Reply #9
The files are already at my page.

I'd like to take the opportunity to invine anyone with some cool pieces of software, that have no _decent_ place to host them (translating: have Geocities, Tripod, Angelfire... as host) to drop me a mail.

rjamorim at yahoo dot com

If it's not too big (I still have ~5Mb of space), I can arrange some place for your binaries.

The good part is that we'll have a central dowloading point for our community needs. 

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #10
Thanks a lot Roberto its very helpfull to all of us.
Im still not sure if the Quality version offers any improved quality. If it does its probably only 0.001% Im going to do some extra testing, but It looks like the faster version is the only one thats really usefull. I`ll see what I can do over the next couple of days.

There is an encoder frontend that ive been working on its still very rough now. Hopefully Ill have a version worth releasing within a few weeks. It will require the Microsoft.Net runtime however, Hopefully they will release the final version of that soon Im currently using beta 2.

thanks again Roberto,
Alex

Reply #11
You're welcome!

Reply #12
hi alex,

could you compile a fast ogg vorbis dll for cdex? maybe with the quality level modification (from john33, i think). it may be very usefull...

thanks in advance
ilikedirt

Reply #13
Im attempting to do that, having a few problems though.
I dont appear too have the full source to go with the altered source from Roberto`s web site. I Should figure it out shortly.

Reply #14
Alex
If you have a problem with it, let me know.The original source came from the CDex CVS. All the files for the DLL should be what is at Roberto's site. Otherwise, it just uses the regular libraries.

john33

Reply #15
Thanks for the help, there were a couple of files that I did not have(bitbuffer.c for one) but they are indeed present in the CDex source. Should hopefully have a dll compiled shortly.

Reply #16
Alex
Bitbuffer won't do it!! It was replaced by bitrate.c as part of the RC3 launch. It is a straight replacement.

john33

Reply #17
Thanks, Ive havent used bitbuffer.c now.
I really have to rush, Ive emailed the dll to you(hope you dont mind).
I tested it on a single file and it performed as expected, approx 20% faster. Id appreciate it if you could test in and send it too Roberto if there arent any problems, you might want to attach youre readme too.

Ive got to go
thanks a lot
Alex

Reply #18
Checked out fine, Alex. I have uploaded it to Roberto and added the text file. Good team work, eh?

john33

Reply #19
great work guys! may the speed be with you! ;-)

Reply #20
Uploaded!

Reply #21
Thanks a lot John and Roberto.

Sorry I had to rush away yesterday(damned job interviews).

Anyway Ive got another update for the oggenc files with additional optimization for Pentium 4 processors, I dont know if anyone has one, I havent been able to test it but performance should be increased.
Ive also added several experimental compiles with diffrent lossy/lossless coupling settings.
In total there are 5 oggenc.exe`s which Ive compressed into a cab file to save space(its only 203kb), Ive add a readme so hopefully everything should be clear.
I`m emailing too Roberto now.

I dont think there will be any more updates for a while, at least not until theres a reason to do so.

Thanks again
Alex

Reply #22
Alex' fast compile should be made official!

Reply #23
I think a 100% 32-bit assembly (i386) version is needed for both encoder and decoder...

...it could be a pre-hardware optimization :eek:

Reply #24
It would certainly be nice if someone could manage that, my assembly skills certainly arent upto that.

The file are on Roberto`s site now, thanks to him.

I made a stupid mistake in the readme.

oggencLL.exe (Low Loss) Lower quality lossy coupling than Standard.
oggencHL.exe (High Loss) Higher quality lossy coupling than Standard.

should be:

oggencLL.exe (Low Loss)  Higher quality lossy coupling than Standard.
oggencHL.exe (High Loss) Lower quality lossy coupling than Standard.

If anyone with a pentium 4 processor could comment on the performance Id like to know, Ill try to compile a version of the vorbis dll later with the additional optomizations.