Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HighSpeed CD-RW (Read 4639 times) previous topic - next topic

HighSpeed CD-RW

I was unaware that such thing can happen, is it known issue?
Info from CDSpeed/InfoTool:
CD-R(W) Info           : unknown (code 97m15s35f), 10 X CD-RW, 79:59.74
Disc Type           : HighSpeed CD-RW
Usage               : General
Recording Layer     : Phase Change

Drive: HP 9100b (8/4/32)

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #1
I just encountered the same thing trying to write a 12X High-Speed CD-RW that came with my new writer on my old Sony 4X maximum speed CD writer drive.

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #2
My Plextor 48/24/48A came with some CDs including a 24x CD-RW.
The CD-RW can only be written at 24x... strange.
Wanna buy a monkey?

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #3
Oh, boyz... The problem is too complex, to be explained just so, but YOU CAN NEVER USE CD-RW with another speed, than it's on the cover... that means 8-10x OR HIGHER YOU CAN NEVER USE WITH 4x.

And as far as I know, you can't use any speed lower, than the given rate for the medium...

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #4
Well, cover says it is 4x-12x...
Anyway I previously bought same cd's with cover claiming they're 650M, while in fact they were 700M.

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #5

It's quite obvious by cheap media, but there's no chance to burn them 4-12x... I think it will be possible 10-12x, but maybe am I wrong.

Anyway I previously bought same cd's with cover claiming they're 650M, while in fact they were 700M.

If I remember well, there were some pretty crappy-shitty media on the market, Platinum. They were always 700 MB, although they were separated by covers into 650 and 700 MB and the price was slightly different... After a year or so they started change front cover color from white to yellowbrown, kind of corroding or so... 

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #6

It looks like one of those situations where we'll have to more carefully read the CD covers looking specifically for "High-Speed" from now on before just plopping them in the shopping cart.

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #7
High Speed CDRW are designed for "High Speed." If ya need to cdrw them @ lower speeds, ~1-4x try to find older cdrw or sumthing.

I hate a cdrw4x that i tried to write @ 2x ... didnt work.

so yea

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #8
Okay, what is the question here? Are you guys complaining that a 4-12x CD-RW won't burn at 4x? 'Cus if that's the case, it's bullshit. If the complaint is that a 4-12x CD-RW won't burn at 2x, then of course.

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #9
Yep, looks like they're same crappy-shitty Platinums and they hit local market about half a year ago. Have couple of them so I've got about half a year untill they die, it seems.
In fact these 'new' ones from my friend, who asked me to drop some stuff on it. So friends don't let friends buy Platinum CDRW's.
Are you guys complaining that a 4-12x CD-RW won't burn at 4x? 'Cus if that's the case, it's bullshit.

That's the case and it's bullshit indeed, why I started this oderweis?

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #10
The same happened to me with some intenso cdrw of 700MB. In the case says they are 4x-10x and won't burn in a 4x  rewritter. 

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #11
Yeah, it is so, that CD-RWs you buy MUST EXACTLY FIT THE SPEED YOUR BURNER IS CAPABLE otherwise you have bad luck...    Sorry I can't explain it better, but my English is not good enough to explain something like this... AND THERE'S NO MEDIA ON THE MARKET, which you can burn 4x to 12x for instance; either you burn it 10-12x or no chance. It is bullshit from the producers of the media and it is really a shame that something like this happens again and again... 

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #12
I was unaware that such thing can happen, is it known issue?
Info from CDSpeed/InfoTool:

CD-R(W) Info           : unknown (code 97m15s35f), 10 X CD-RW, 79:59.74
Disc Type           : HighSpeed CD-RW
Usage               : General
Recording Layer     : Phase Change

Drive: HP 9100b (8/4/32)

CD-RW 99 min ???

Is this right ???
Diocletian

Time Travel Agency
Book a journey to the Diocletian Palace. Not today!

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #13
There are three types of CD-RW media on the market which can be burnt at different speed ranges each (allthough the ranges overlap)

lowspeed CD-RW: 2x - 4x (dunno if there is such a thing as 1x/3x)
highspeed CD-RW: 4x - 12x
ultraspeed CD-RW: 10x - 24x

Your burner needs to support the respective type of media.

@Diocletian
The nominal length is reported at the end of the first line: 79:59.74. I guess the larger number is the raw capacity ( = nominal + error correction layers).

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #14
From what I understand, you have to have a burner that supports high speed media, it doesn't matter that your burner can write 4x, it still can't write 4x High Speed media...
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #15
I heard with Nero you can burn lets say a 4x cd-r at 48x and the cd would become clear, can this be done with cd-rws too?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

HighSpeed CD-RW

Reply #16
Not with Nero (5.5.10.15a) on RW's. These Verbatim DLP's say 2x-4x and Nero won't let you select a higher speed (on Yam F1). I thought the firmware upgrade took care of that...no...speed limits are rigidly enforced with Nero.

xen-uno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus