Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac Beta 5 and Cuesheets (Read 5679 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac Beta 5 and Cuesheets

The Flac beta is out and, from what I understand, it supports cuesheets. I am personally excited about this, as I could encode entire CDs and listen to just specific tracks. But I have a couple of questions:

1. How does one create the cuesheet?
2. Do any audio players support/handle the cuesheets?

Thanks,

Reply #1
currently, the xmms plugin & the included winamp plugin supports the embedded cuesheets.

use flac -h for help.

Reply #2
I've not tried flac yet, but with the embedded cue file it is getting closer to what I'm looking for. Currently, I'm using MA since it's .apl feature allows me to encode a cd as one .ape file, and playback individual tracks using the .apl files.
Is it possible to have something similar to .apl with flac?

- Audio Spyder

Reply #3
currently, the xmms plugin & the included winamp plugin supports the embedded cuesheets.

by 'support' I guess you mean that the player is aware of them and presents a single flac file as a list of tracks.  if so, the plugins do not have that yet because I don't know how to do the playlist interaction in the various players.  I'll take patches and I'm going to add this to the public 'TODO' list.  foobar2k may already work like this though.

I've not tried flac yet, but with the embedded cue file it is getting closer to what I'm looking for. Currently, I'm using MA since it's .apl feature allows me to encode a cd as one .ape file, and playback individual tracks using the .apl files.
Is it possible to have something similar to .apl with flac?

.apl is kind of a hack that still relies on having a (tiny) file per track.  the way I mention in the first paragraph is ideal.

Josh

Reply #4
Does it support cd indexs too?
"I have learned a lesson from the lessons I have learned"

Reply #6
What when the cuesheet does have track names? Is flac able to handle them? Do the titles show up in winamp/xmms plugin? Could there be a conflict with the vorbis tags?

Reply #7
What when the cuesheet does have track names? Is flac able to handle them? Do the titles show up in winamp/xmms plugin? Could there be a conflict with the vorbis tags?

there are no track names or any other tagging in a cuesheet.  part of cuesheet support in a plugin will include a method for generating a hash with which to look up the metadata in a cddb/cdindex/other database.

Josh

Reply #8
Don't some cuesheet files have track names?

Reply #9
OK, let me be less subtle.  Most applications that read and write cue sheets include an ability to include artist, album title, and track name info.  It would be nice if flac were interoperable with all the burning programs and audio editors out there.

Reply #10
Ok, i'm reviving this old thread because i want to see if this is a bug or if i'm just not getting it...

I have a cue file with this info:

PERFORMER "Freundeskreis"
TITLE "Halt Dich An Deiner Liebe Fest (CD single)"
FILE "CDImage.flac.wav" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Halt Dich An Deiner Liebe Fest (The Version)"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Halt Dich An Deiner Liebe Fest (Motiv 23)"
    INDEX 00 04:35:22
    INDEX 01 04:37:22
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Halt Dich An Deiner Liebe Fest (FK Allstars live)"
    INDEX 00 09:56:64
    INDEX 01 09:58:64

Yes, the filename might be weird, but nevermind that..

Then i do:
flac.exe --best --cuesheet=cdimage.flac.cue -T "comment=EAC /  FLAC --best" cdimage.flac.wav -o test.flac

And load up the test.flac file in foobar, but i get to title info, nor artist..
That's my problem
Have i missed any step ?

EDIT: and yes, i did use the latest FLAC