Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Vorbis CD Players... (Read 8956 times) previous topic - next topic

Vorbis CD Players...

Any vorbis cd players on the horizon? Are any of the current mp3 cd players able to be upgraded to play vorbis, like perhaps the rio volt?

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #1
I don't know of any hardware cd players. Hardware support for Vorbis isn't very impressive yet. This will need time to settle in. But it does seem to be happening slowly but surely.

If your MP3 player is upgradable, it may be able to play Vorbis, but it's hard to say in advance. What if the manufacturer just isn't interested in supporting it or so?

I think the Rio Volt has a nonupgradable MP3-only chip, but I'm not sure.

--
GCP

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #2
Originally posted by Garf
I think the Rio Volt has a nonupgradable MP3-only chip, but I'm not sure.

The Rio Volt has an upgradable firmware actually, and I've heard they've been toying around with adding AAC decoding capability to the device as well.. so it'd seem that Vorbis would be possible as well.

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #3
Hi,

perhaps this week or the next I am getting the AVC Soul Player.
It is quite the same like one Riovolt, I think the riovolt psx 100.

At their website they write MP3, WMA, ASF.

But that they want to make available AAC, I have read somewhere, too.

I want to test the AVC Soul.

Could you recommend some sites for WMA, ASF ?
Where I am getting informations for best encoding programs, settings ?

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #4
I already have the AVC Soul player (I bought it end-August), and early September I already e-mailed AVC to ask about the possibility of adding other codecs, like MPC or OGG.

I knew the firmware was upgradeable (in fact, I upgraded it as soon as I received the player), so I knew it had to be possible.

Actually, I was expecting an answer like "we currently have no plans to support any other codec for now... etc. etc.".

But the answer was a lot more direct and negative. This was their reply:

No. The DMP-01 will not support other audio format.

So I was (and still am) pretty disappointed with their reaction. Now I'm forced to use MP3s of my CD collection, ONLY because of the AVP player. It would have been much easier for me to just have an archive of MPC or OGG files.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #5
Hi,

what do you think of WMA ?

For low bitrates it should be better than MP3 ?

Can somebody direct me to some freeware encoder ?

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #6
User

If WMA is the way you really want to go then go here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~u71ds/wm8egui/  to find what you want(frontend only).

Or, you could go here: http://websound.ru/index_e.html (under Encoders/Decoders) to get the encoder and the frontend.

john33

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #7
yesterday i mailed iriver and asked for ogg support.

only hours later i recieved the answer, that iriver is currently working on vorbis.

would be cool, ha?

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #8
Originally posted by ilikedirtthe2nd
yesterday i mailed iriver and asked for ogg support.

only hours later i recieved the answer, that iriver is currently working on vorbis.

Would you be so nice to post the their exact reply?

There was some information on the www.mp3.com forum some time ago regarding IRiver thinking about adding Ogg Vorbis-support. I think the information came from a beta-tester how visited a "Mr. Lee" at IRiver.

Anyway, I think that at least it can be done via a firmware upgrade. The Rio Volt uses a Cirrus Logic EP7212, that contains an ARM7TDMI core.

ARM7TDMI
32-bit RISC core
The ARM7TDMI core is a 32-bit embedded RISC processor delivered as a hard macrocell optimized to provide the best combination of performance, power and area characteristics. The ARM7TDMI core enables system designers to build embedded devices requiring small size, low power and high performance.
• Personal audio (MP3, WMA, AAC players)

Yeah, that should do it! 

Regards, stoff

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #10
Originally posted by stoff

Would you be so nice to post the their exact reply?

Regards, stoff

sorry, i deleted the mail.

but, they say they are working on it and it is definitely on their shedule (i swear, even if i can't proove it anymore).

regards, ilikedirt

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #11
Hi all,

I have tested the last 2 days this nice player.
It played all bitrates of WMA8 and of MP3, but nothing with 48 kHz sampling, only 32 and lower or 44.1 kHz sampling was played.

But the songs in 48 kHz were shown at display, that they are 48 kHz...
But the player jumped to the next song available, which had always 44,1 kHz, it was my test-CD with all bitrates and sampling frequencies....

In a week I hope I will have done the German and English version of complete test report of AVC Soul.

Overall it is a very fine player, but unfortunately no 48 kHz.... ?

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #12
Here's a post from iriver, a manufacture of RioVolt series, on their message board. (not official but trustworthy)
Summary:
  - They're trying to support vorbis actually.
  - But they found it difficult because of the less power of ARM CPU  .

I do want them to support ogg vorbis  .

http://www.iriver.com/board/boardview.asp?...SearchQuery=ogg
Translated into English by altavista:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That way the investigation is not it it investigates positively.

Technical, the big defile fact the ogg being produced with the all pc, Oh Iri pe with gives the charge which is considerable from small size CPU of same }arm{7 class.

The in case CPU does not accommodate when the conclusion is born, this the optimize, the place our firmware engineer must abridge worked 6 month degree and percentage became the work which is huge, it wears out. When it is like that, new product development firmware eps cyo. --

Work percentage is not a place enough from the domestic and the companies of the overseas piece and    it contacts and and it is investigating.

On 2001-12-19 morning 3:19:17, ' yu re-wan ' }wrote{:
--------------------------------------------------
About >ogg but the middle of investigating nine, the meaning ramyon of investigation? Petty about it is dim ambiguously..
> Firmware ep that RAID lwu support entrusting it gives please. Now ogg the place where it listens to Um quality nem
> About it is good and.. reply entrusting which does as a favor a writing nine support positively it gives..
When > the surely investigation late summer nine executions overlook are sour?
> It appears nine sul rims X nem to be being good so, it purchases early and ci ^ (it becomes the ogg and the cotton gold statue chem the place where it is an anger)
--------------------------------------------------

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #13
When they achieve this they can be sure to have another customer

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #14
...I've implemented Ogg on the ARM7TDMI 74MHz (Cirrus Maverick), so doing it is not impossible.

(yes, it was realtime playback, although I'll admit is was close, as half the processor had to be left over for housekeeping chores)

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #15
Originally posted by xiphmont
...I've implemented Ogg on the ARM7TDMI 74MHz (Cirrus Maverick), so doing it is not impossible.

(yes, it was realtime playback, although I'll admit is was close, as half the processor had to be left over for housekeeping chores)

Interesting... Is there any hope that you, Monty, is going to help the IRiver folks out with a hint or two? It seems there is a lot of Rio Volt's out there so it could help Ogg Vorbis if it was to be implemented.

I, for one, will not leave MP3 for Ogg before I can play on it some portable hardware. Sorry, but that's the way it must be.

Regards, stoff

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #16
http://www.iriver.com/english/news-slimx.htm

Regarding Iriver's SlimX CD-MP3 player's future formats:

Multi-Codec CD

Adopting Multi CODEC CD player, SlimX can support different formats such as MP3, WMA and ASF as well as standard Audio CD.(In condition of extra charges are guaranteed)

Firmware Upgrade

With future Firmware upgrade, SlimX will be able to support next generation audio format such as AAC, MP3Pro, Ogg Vorbis and so on.
With new features added onto SlimX, and the improvement of disc recognition rate, our users  can enjoy music with the latest features.

Whoo-hoo!  I am playing with MPC, AAC and VQF files now and I love Ogg Vorbis, so this is wonderful news to me!  As for MP3Pro, well *yawn*, I could care less.  Hope to have my SlimX sometime tomorrow.  If they do support ogg vorbis and AAC, then my investment will be greatly enhanced!
Kimberly aka
Baroness Sylvia von Zurich (the only Goldwater Conservative) endorses the Meadow Party's Bill and Opus for the 2004 Presidential election!  A sometimes dead cat and an overweight penguin who looks like a puffin couldn't possibly do any worse than a Shrub.

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #17
well vqf and mp3pro are in the same corner regarding quality. I even think vqf is worse 

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #18
With future Firmware upgrade, SlimX will be able to support next generation audio format such as AAC, MP3Pro, Ogg Vorbis and so on.

Once you change the name, those are also the exact words in the iRiver Imp-250 manual:cool:. They'll probably try and have it supported by the time the official Ogg Vorbis 1.0 is released.

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #19
I think you are right about them having it ready for Vorbis 1.0.  The IMP-250 just came out only 4 months ago, and sold very well.  I do not think iRiver will leave its customers out in the cold.  I am very impressed with iRiver's support, as opposed to the evil company that ruined and replaced my formerly loved Diamond Multimedia.
Kimberly aka
Baroness Sylvia von Zurich (the only Goldwater Conservative) endorses the Meadow Party's Bill and Opus for the 2004 Presidential election!  A sometimes dead cat and an overweight penguin who looks like a puffin couldn't possibly do any worse than a Shrub.

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #20
IMHO the vorbis guys could release version 1.0 of the decoder heh? IIRC they said that they implemented everything, so why don't they release a 1.0 final decoder and let the big companies include vorbis support. I know this has been on the mailing list but i forgot it:D

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #21
I agree.

Though they might want to make the decoder more efficient so it requires less CPU power before they do that.

Or at least they could just brag all over the site that the decoder is already complete so the companies can get it through their heads that implementing the decoder now is safe.

Vorbis CD Players...

Reply #22
Yes they can continue to tweak and tune the encoder to their hearts delight. In fact I encourage them to! But they are just going to have to stop at some point and say this is 1.0. Untill they do that many companies are going to continue to stay away or on the fringes. There are always visionary early adopters. I still love the squished faces people make if you ask them if they have ever heard any Vorbis or MPC encoded songs. "Duh what's that I only have these MP3 thingies." As for the future of Vorbis. I think companies would be ignorant not to try to implement it. The licensing fees should be enough of an incentive.