Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed (Read 257428 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed

Reply #250
20060807 has been released on the main page

2006/08/07 Lancer 20060807

Correcting the SSE optimization of mdct_forward and mdct_backward
    Only static edition reviving vorbis_oggpack_write
    Correcting the problem of local_book_besterror_dim1x4

Reply #251
... and now it too is "crossed out".

"2006 August 9th

Continuing with oggdropXPd of Lancer, 20060807 when you encode, because the problem which becomes output of abnormal bit rate was discovered it stops release at one time."

Reply #253
And now 20060811 is released on the main page.

2006/08/11 Lancer 20060811

Correcting the SSE optimization of mdct_backward

2006/08/10 Lancer 20060810 (bit rate abnormal problem, for multithread operation problem evaluation)

Correcting the problem of the SSE optimization of _ve_amp
    Correcting the problem where the pattern which each time differs in multithread operation edition is output

Reply #254
Maybe this was suggested before, but it would be beneficial to the project if he/she did the page in English, or if thats a problem ask a friend to translate it.

ありがとう - それは非常に速くある

Reply #256
I think there's a problem with the multi-threaded versions of 2006/08/11 Lancer 20060811.

I'm on a Core Duo, and I've never had problems with the multithreaded releases up to this one.  Now, I'm getting speed slowdowns to 1.x and 3.x, when it was going 40-50x before.  The non-multithreaded compiles work fine (40-50x); it's only the SSE2 and SSE3 multithreaded that are screwed up.  Can anyone confirm?

Reply #257
Can anyone confirm?
On my system, the "sse3_mt_lancer20060811" just freezes up.

I've gone back to using the "sse3_mt_lancer20060807", which is working fine.

Reply #259
is there an online archive of past releases, or did you just already have it on your system?
I keep several "layers" of past releases on my computer.  I don't know if there's an online archive.

Here's a link for the August 07 release, if you need it:
(right-click -> "Save Target As...")

oggenc283_sse3mt_lancer20060807.zip

Reply #260
I had problems with the latest MT as well and have reverted to an earlier version.

Cheers,
Pete

Reply #261
Lancer 20060815 Experimental

Babelfish translation:
It released started Lancer 20060815 for multithread operation problem verification at the laboratory.

Reply #262
Maybe this was suggested before, but it would be beneficial to the project if he/she did the page in English, or if thats a problem ask a friend to translate it.

It released started Lancer 20060815 for multithread operation problem verification at the laboratory.

Lol, so much for Babelfish - Google Translate gives something similar.

It's really a problem that there's no translation available... this way we can't give the guy (girl?) feedback on how it runs/crashes on our systems, nor tell him he's doing cool and appreciated work (although he may guess that from the download numbers).

Reply #263
I think the author should spend some time, once the code is stable again, on getting it working on modern GCCs, like for instance getting clean compiles under linux /w GCC 4.1

I'd do if myself if I had the mad skillz, but I don't.

Reply #264
Lancer 20060818 (MT only) is out.

Changes:

It improves the multithread operation processing of mapping0_forward, increases the parallel processing section and accelerates
In order with coodbook.* to make the parallel processing of floor1_encode possible, mounting the delay collective entry function of the Ogg stream
Way floor1_encode can be executed while parallel processing, modification
_vp_couple it corresponds to parallel processing
At the time of profile measurement way it does not enter into the infinite loop, modification

I will encode my whole flac archive (400cds, about 150 gb) this weekend on my amd x2 4400+ to ogg q6 oder q7.

Best regards
Franklin

Reply #266
I talked a guy with a Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.1GHz into running an encode, and here's the result he reported (for -q 5?):

Code: [Select]
File: "M - Pop Muzik"

OggEnc v2.83 (Lancer [20060818](SSE3MT) based on aoTuV b4b)

File length: 5m 01,0s
Elapsed time: 0m 3,432s
Rate: 87,950145
Average bitrate: 193,7 kb/s

So these new CPUs seems to be quite the little SSE monsters.

Reply #267

EDIT: that makes me feel ashamed of my newly aquired mid-range PC
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #268
Eloj, that's very interesting, awesome performance, shame it falls short of my 100x prediction. Perhaps in -q2

Yet looking at the numbers i get a feeling the multithreading doesn't speed it up that much, is it possible for you to test the non-mt version and see how much slower it is?
Veni Vidi Vorbis.

Reply #269
Eloj, that's very interesting, awesome performance, shame it falls short of my 100x prediction. Perhaps in -q2

Yet looking at the numbers i get a feeling the multithreading doesn't speed it up that much, is it possible for you to test the non-mt version and see how much slower it is?

At these speeds I think Disk I/O can be a bottleneck...

Reply #270
See the command i used for testing on the previous page. It doesn't write an output file to disk and if you run it multiple times windows will buffer the input file in memory. For me it leads to accurately repeatable results when you discount the first run.

Also 100x is only 17.2MB/s, which any vaguely modern harddrive can easily keep up with.
Veni Vidi Vorbis.

Reply #271
Hi,

new releases out: 20060824

Recently i converted 400 cds with lancer with a speed of about 50x on my X2 4400+

Best regards
Franklin

Reply #272
The difference seems to be that it's built on aotuv Release 1.

Reply #273
(babelfished) ChangeLog:

2006/08/24 Lancer 20060824

Based cord/code modification to aotuv-r1_20051117
    Adding SSE optimization to _vp_couple
    Adding the cord/code for multi channel processing divisions to xmmlib.h
    At the time of OpenMP use the singles lead-lead _vp_quantize_couple_memo and _vp_quantize_couple_sort which are operational modification to multithread operation operation

Reply #274
Lancer 20060903 is out.