Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: vorbis 1.1 = 3,99 > 4,00 (Read 4414 times) previous topic - next topic

vorbis 1.1 = 3,99 > 4,00

i discovered that files encoded with -q 3,99 are bigger in size and also have a higher bitrate than files encoded with -q 4,00. why?
as far as i have tested, 3,00 is always greater than 2,99 and 5,00 is always greater than 4,99.
that is with the 'Oggenc2.3 using libVorbis v1.1.0' compile from rarewares.
i wonder if there is a logical explanation for that or is it just a bug?

-andy-

vorbis 1.1 = 3,99 > 4,00

Reply #1
I tested it on some files and saw the phenominum myself also. Even though I will probably never use such a setting as -q3.99, it is still an interesting discovery 

vorbis 1.1 = 3,99 > 4,00

Reply #2
i discovered that files encoded with -q 3,99 are bigger in size and also have a higher bitrate than files encoded with -q 4,00. why?
as far as i have tested, 3,00 is always greater than 2,99 and 5,00 is always greater than 4,99.
that is with the 'Oggenc2.3 using libVorbis v1.1.0' compile from rarewares.
i wonder if there is a logical explanation for that or is it just a bug?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249124"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is not a bug. Since all the internal parameters are not complemented between Quality values, such a phenomenon may happen. Incidentally, in order to perform tuning per Quality, I recommend you 4.00 rather than 3.99 (even if the bit rate is low).