Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .mov or .wmv (Read 3831 times) previous topic - next topic

.mov or .wmv

I am not familar with video codecs and need your help. There are two version of the movie I am going to download:
.mov - 315 Mb
.wmv - 350 Mb
I know nothing else about them. And I want to get better quality.
Which one you will you advise me to download?
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

.mov or .wmv

Reply #1
WMV stands for Windows Media Video -- developed and controlled by Microsoft.

MOV is an apple developed CONTAINER, and can use several different compression schemes (for video and audio), so just by looking at the extension you will not be able to 'guess' the quality.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

.mov or .wmv

Reply #2
.mov file information:
Encoded with Cleaner 5
Sorenson Video 3
Colors - millions

Is it the needed info ?
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

.mov or .wmv

Reply #3
.mov file information:
Encoded with Cleaner 5
Sorenson Video 3
Colors - millions

Is it the needed info ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234544"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thats a start, now if you would know the lenght (or bitrate), framerate and x,y size in pixels and the type of video that was encoded, you could make a relatively good guess on video quality. (uhmm, both of this should stream, so why not check it that way?)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

.mov or .wmv

Reply #4
WMV9 is known to have quite impressive quality at low bitrates.  Of course, you could definately make a much better guess with the informatin smok3 listed above.

.mov or .wmv

Reply #5
there's no way you can judge the difference in quality of two files by just looking at the file statistics if those statistics aren't completely different. since we only have part of the info of one we cant do it at all.

so either we get detailed info on both videos and then say its probably impossibe to tell, or you could just make a visual comparison.

the WMV file is more than 10% bigger though
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

.mov or .wmv

Reply #6
Where not exactly trying to judge quality.  We're tryting to make an educated guess about which file is likely to be better quality based on codec, resolution, length, bitrate, framerate, etc so that de Mon doesn't have to go and download two files.

.mov or .wmv

Reply #7
I also guess that WMV is better than Sorenson Video 3. If other things are equal (same source, same bitrate and use optimal settings for each codec), I don't think Sorenson video 3 can compete with WMV 9.

I must admit that I'm quite impressed with WMV9 quality when it release VfW version.