Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC settings (Read 9240 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC settings

Well I'm not sure if this has been answered or not. If they have then i'm sorry, i tried searching around about all day today on the questions i had but not much luck. I have questions about some settings in FLAC (I have the FLAC frontend from flac.sourceforge.net which I'm assuming is the codec widely used). I'll list em by number to make things easier to read .

1. What is the encoding level and what is the best setting for this? (I'm not sure but I'm guessing this is how much it compresses the source file, If this is true then is there a point where the resulting file is lesser quality than the original?)

2. What is the best way to use the FLAC codec to encode, using EAC with command option or using the FLAC frontend program? If using EAC is the best way what is the best command (I don't want to write tags to the FLAC file because i plan on encoding them to AAC (.m4a) and just writing tags with Itunes)?

3. From the info I gathered/remember it seems that Replaygain adds noise to the file to reduce clipping in certain areas. This scares me a bit so I'm unsure on using this option so my question is: On the original audio from the cd is there already clipping or does clipping result from encoding? Also, since i plan to encode to .m4a do i need to use replaygain again if i choose to use replaygain?  I also remember 2 options in foobar 2000 which seemed similar to replaygain (Advanced Limiter and Volume Control in the DSP Manager). Are these/one of them better than replaygain?

4. What does the setting "Treat input files as one album" (subsetting under Replaygain) in the FLAC frontend do and what is it for?

FLAC settings

Reply #1
Flac quality 5 is the default - BTW there is never any loss with other settings as we are talking lossless. Same goes for clipping - not an issue.

I prefer eac to the frontend. Copy and paste the following in eac:

-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

To replaygain m4a just use foobar 'scan as album'. Limiter and volume isn't related to replaygain.

FLAC settings

Reply #2
1) Since FLAC is lossless audio, there is no point where the encoded source is of less quality than the original source. That said, the different levels are only levels of compression. Rule of thumb: the higher the number, the more compressed the encoded file will be, and the longer the encoding will take. Take a look at FLAC's Comparison page for more information.

2) There is no "best" way. You could use either EAC or FLAC frontend, and you'll have the same results. The only advantage I can think off the top of my head with FLAC Frontend is the ability to ReplayGain. Using EAC to encode your files is more convenient as you do not have to launch a second program after you have ripped all audio in one session; EAC can be programmed to encode files after the track or album has been ripped.

3) ReplayGain does not modify the audio. It scans the file for the highest peak point, then adds metadata (where tags are also placed) information for audio players to decode and lower the volume losslessly. You can play a ReplayGain-ed FLAC file in foobar2000 with or without ReplayGain enabled. You can easily change this in foobar2000 by opening the preference window, selecting the Playback option in the tree menu, and change the ReplayGain option.

CDs usually have clipping included, but ripping can also cause clipping.

I have not converted FLAC to M4A, so I cannot answer that part of the question. I would believe how the audio is converted (which program is used, what encoding source, etc.) would affect this answer.

Advanced Limiter only does slight modifications to buffered audio to remove clipping. It does not replace ReplayGain. Volume Control is well, volume control. Acts just like volume control in Winamp, the Windows Sound control panel, and speaker volume knobs. Again, it does not replace ReplayGain.

4) That setting applies Album ReplayGain. It keeps an album's different variations of audio volume intact, so the album remains loud in certain parts and quiet in others. It operates just like Track ReplayGain, only it spans across the album rather than just one file. I wish I could be more thorough in this information, but I cannot access the ReplayGain website hosted here at Hydrogenaudio at the moment.

FLAC settings

Reply #3
k thank you!  My questions have all been answered . I appreciate your quick responses and help . I believe I am now ready to rip my albums as soon as I get some other stuff dealt with. Take care

FLAC settings

Reply #4
oops. There is one thing i need answering which i had asked before . Do I need to use replaygain again when encoding to .m4a? Is it better to use replaygain when encoding to .flac or .m4a, or both?

FLAC settings

Reply #5
That said, the different levels are only levels of compression. Rule of thumb: the higher the number, the more compressed the encoded file will be, and the longer the encoding will take.

1. NO, flac decodes at a constant rate without regard to encoding levels.  it reaches peak time/speed ratio ~ -6 (i.e. before "-e / --exhaustive-model-search" ) or a customized cli thereof

2. re: ripping? then that would be rip with EAC/CDex on win32 or cdparanoia/cdda2wav on linux.  any frontend will encode these files the same regardless of approach

Do I need to use replaygain again when encoding to .m4a?

...depends on if the transcoder uses/transfers replaygain info (dunno) i'd say that yes, you would need to re-replaygain the target format

later

FLAC settings

Reply #6
Well it seems to me that FLAC is basically the same as a .wav file, the only difference is the compression from what i've been told. So it seems to me that the only time i really need to use Replaygain is when i encode to .m4a because I think the main reason that the FLAC frontend has the replaygain option is if you are planning to keep it lossless instead of encoding to a lossy format. Am I right? Is there a problem with this idea?

FLAC settings

Reply #7
Flac file will decode and be identical to the wav file that was originally compress, hence Lossless Compression.  If you increase the encoding level, it compresses it more, but it also takes longer.

AFAIK, AAC does not support replaygain, which leaves you with four options:

1)  Wavegain the wav prior to encoding to FLAC
2)  Replaygain the FLAC and convert to AAC using Foobar2000 which will use the replaygain tag when it decodes the FLAC
3)  Use Foobar2000 as your player and enable the database, scan the AAC files and FB2K will store the replaygain info in the DB.
4)  Use the replaygain plugin for Winamp which will be like #3.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

FLAC settings

Reply #8
thanx for the info dreamliner  you've been a big help. It seems the easiest solution is use the replaygain with winamp because it is not permanent and it gives the user of the file an option.

FLAC settings

Reply #9
AFAIK, AAC does not support replaygain

AAC itself does not support replaygain, since AAC itself is just the raw audio stream and does not support tagging of any kind.  However it is mainly meant to be wrapped inside and mp4 container, in the case of pure audio (no video), sometimes with the extension .m4a.

MP4 however does support tagging, so replaygaining them poses no problem whatsoever.

It is recommended though that you add the replaigain tag after encoding to mp4 (aac) though, since replaigain values for different lossy encoders don't necessarily don't have the exact same values.

However if you want your mp4 files to have the same volume also on devices that do not support replaygain, you could first replaygain the flac files and make foobar encode these tracks with the "use replaygain option" in the diskwriter.  However this process will not be reversible on the created mp4 files.

2) Replaygain the FLAC and convert to AAC using Foobar2000 which will use the replaygain tag when it decodes the FLAC

Why would someone want to transcode a lossy file back to a lossless one? Quality will always be the same as the lossy file it is encoded from, only the resultant filesize would be a lot larger.

FLAC settings

Reply #10
AFAIK, AAC does not support replaygain

AAC itself does not support replaygain, since AAC itself is just the raw audio stream and does not support tagging of any kind.  However it is mainly meant to be wrapped inside and mp4 container, in the case of pure audio (no video), sometimes with the extension .m4a.

MP4 however does support tagging, so replaygaining them poses no problem whatsoever.

It is recommended though that you add the replaigain tag after encoding to mp4 (aac) though, since replaigain values for different lossy encoders don't necessarily don't have the exact same values.

However if you want your mp4 files to have the same volume also on devices that do not support replaygain, you could first replaygain the flac files and make foobar encode these tracks with the "use replaygain option" in the diskwriter.  However this process will not be reversible on the created mp4 files.

2) Replaygain the FLAC and convert to AAC using Foobar2000 which will use the replaygain tag when it decodes the FLAC

Why would someone want to transcode a lossy file back to a lossless one? Quality will always be the same as the lossy file it is encoded from, only the resultant filesize would be a lot larger.

Last time I checked, the mp4 tag did not support replay gain.  Has this changed?

And for the second qoute, I don't know how you think i was inferring to go lossless>lossy>lossless.  Re-read what I wrote with emphasis on "decodes the FLAC."
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

FLAC settings

Reply #11
What would I have to add to the EAC command to ensure 0 compression?
Thanks in advance.

NH

FLAC settings

Reply #12
I'm assuming you just want a .wav file as the output?

Action>copy selected tracks
      or
Just click on the wav radio button

FLAC settings

Reply #13
Sorry, I wanted a FLAC file but with 0 compression, since the default is -5. Thanks for the quick reply.

NH

FLAC settings

Reply #14
You mean 0% compression?

If that is so, you miss the point of FLAC.  FLAC is meant to compress.  What you would want is the unadulterated .wav.

FLAC settings

Reply #15
Sorry, I wanted a FLAC file but with 0 compression, since the default is -5. Thanks for the quick reply.

NH

Code: [Select]
-0, --compression-level-0, --fast  Synonymous with -l 0 -b 1152 -r 2,2

FLAC Documentation For more.
Though even that uses compression so...

Insane Jester you may want to look at MAREO Multiple Applications Runner for EAC and Others
Remember to set 'Parameter passing scheme" to 'User Defined Encoder'.
Also check out Case's EAC config guide to ensure proper setup.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/EAC/index.html

FLAC offers imo a good bit more then .wav.
Native Replay Gain, Cue sheet, (128bit) md5 digest, flexible tagging (in UTF-8) built-in, to name a few.

FLAC settings

Reply #16
Heh, ok, I stand corrected.  I forgot there was a -0

FLAC settings

Reply #17
Last time I checked, the mp4 tag did not support replay gain.  Has this changed?

Just checked on an mp4 file and it seems the replaygain field is supported.  When I reload info from files in FB2K the replaygain values stay. Meaning it must store the values in the file tag somehow.

And for the second qoute, I don't know how you think i was inferring to go lossless>lossy>lossless. Re-read what I wrote with emphasis on "decodes the FLAC."

My apologies. I somehow read that as "when it decodes to FLAC.  Probably shouldn't post a few minutes before going to sleep.    Really sorry about that.