Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problems with John33's 3/16 flac compile? (Read 5001 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with John33's 3/16 flac compile?

I can't seem to get the "FLAC Current CVS as at 2004-03-16" bundle flac.exe to encode.  Any WAV that I feed it causes a crash.  It decodes just fine though.  Anyone else seeing this too?

Reply #1
Specifically, the XP error reporting system coughs this up as the offending party:

AppName: flac.exe    AppVer: 0.0.0.0    ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217    Offset: 0000b32d

Reply #2
..and if I'm interpreting that error info correctly, that would have ntdll.dll throwing an exception somewhere in the vicinity of RtlEnterCriticalSection.

Anyway, here is what the dependency walker has to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting profile on 3/19/2004 at 1:50:12 PM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit), version 5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
Program Executable: d:\recordings\zzzzzzz_cuetests\feldman, m\rothko chapel (1971)\FLAC.EXE
Program Arguments: -5 test.wav
Starting Directory: D:\Recordings\zzzzzzz_CUETests\Feldman, M\Rothko Chapel (1971)\
Search Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\util;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\PROGRA~1\ABSOLU~1;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared

Options Selected:
    Simulate ShellExecute by inserting any App Paths directories into the PATH environment variable.
    Log DllMain calls for process attach and process detach messages.
    Hook the process to gather more detailed dependency information.
    Log LoadLibrary function calls.
    Log GetProcAddress function calls.
    Log debug output messages.
    Automatically open and profile child processes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started "FLAC.EXE" (process 0xF34) at address 0x00400000.  Successfully hooked module.
Loaded "NTDLL.DLL" at address 0x77F50000.  Successfully hooked module.
Loaded "KERNEL32.DLL" at address 0x77E60000.  Successfully hooked module.
DllMain(0x77E60000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "KERNEL32.DLL" called.
DllMain(0x77E60000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x00000000) in "KERNEL32.DLL" returned 1 (0x1).
Injected "DEPENDS.DLL" at address 0x08370000.
Loaded "MSVCRT.DLL" at address 0x77C10000.  Successfully hooked module.
DllMain(0x08370000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0012FD30) in "DEPENDS.DLL" called.
Entrypoint reached. All implicit modules have been loaded.
DllMain(0x08370000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0012FD30) in "DEPENDS.DLL" returned 1 (0x1).
DllMain(0x77C10000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0012FD30) in "MSVCRT.DLL" called.
DllMain(0x77C10000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0012FD30) in "MSVCRT.DLL" returned 1 (0x1).
Second chance exception 0xC0000005 (Access Violation) occurred in "NTDLL.DLL" at address 0x77F5B32D.
Exited "FLAC.EXE" (process 0xF34) with code 128 (0x80).

Reply #3
I'll take a quick look at this, but I only compile it!!

Reply #4
There have been some fresh updates in the CVS, I'll post new compiles in the morning.

Reply #5
Hi John, I normally have lots of good use from your compiles so thanks for them

I also had problems with the 16th Flac bundle tho'. I used todays compile and still have problems 
The only option I tried using, to narrow it down, was compression so I've tried -1 all the way to -8
And these with a couple of different wave files (standard wave files that work fine with other things). If I run just Flac.exe it does give the usual basic info.

But just trying to encode what happens is it seems to be doing something (though no verbose comments) and after many minutes my computer gets less and less responsive so like the mouse becomes jerky to move around. Anyway, I give up eventually when it becomes clear that there won't be any Flac output file - after a ridiculously long time in other words each time.

I have
Win98se
512mb ram
DirectX 8
Pentium 3 1.13ghz Tualatin Cpu 512kb

Everything else works fine on my PC, like I can encode the same waves into mp3, AAC etc (using compiles from rarewares  ) , any help or updates always welcome! I was using the older Flac compiles without any problems only these last two

Reply #6
John33: your FLAC CVS compile of today (http://www.rarewares.org/files/lossless/flac-CVS.zip) doesn't work for me either.  In fact, when I run a file monitor while trying to execute flac.exe, lots and lots of very strange behavior crops up...like flac.exe enumerates all the files in its directorry (and several system files) and attempts to open named pipes, etc.  This is all behavior that is not duplicated in the January 9th CVS compiles.  I can email you the file monitor logs if you wish.

Has anyone actually gotten this version to encode a wav to a flac?

Reply #7
hi, John33

i also have lots of good use from your compiles so thanks for them.

but I also had problems with the 16th flac bundle, 20th flac bundle,  and 20th faac binaries, all for win32.

the problem is all same:
AppName: flac.exe o/ faac.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1217 Offset: 00019ecd

my pc:
win xp sp1
direct x 9b
pentium 4 3ghz
2gb pc 3200 ddr-sdram
intel i875p
<name>madoka</name>

Reply #8
I would suggest that we've likely caught Josh in the middle of some changes that are not yet complete. I'll follow the CVS for a few days before worrying about things.

Reply #9
thanks john33.

i would look for...
also the 20th faac binaries, please (sorry, unrelated matter).
<name>madoka</name>

Reply #10
thanks john33.

i would look for...
also the 20th faac binaries, please (sorry, unrelated matter).

Yep, I'm aware of that one too!!

Reply #11
I was doing gcc cvs builds from time to time, they seem to work w/o problems here, not that I encoded much with these though...
Here: http://www.zone.ee/4nykey/flac/ if anyone wants to try it.

Reply #12
That one ^ from 16th, ak, does encode fine
I'm not a programmer nor do I know much about code, but that FLAC executable is rather bigger than the rarewares normal ones. By the way, also am I actually safe encoding with CVS compiles??? I know that is where work in progress takes place, but are my encodes safe in that the files I make should be able to be decoded with future normal releases of FLAC???

I just thought of that with thinking about these different 'builds'. I don't know why there even are different builds  ICL? GCC? can't see anything but it seems to lead to making things more complicated for people that do coding! Whichever program produces the overall best code, people should just use that as far as I can see 

Reply #13
thanks, ak.

FLAC CVS 20030316 compiled GCC does work, no problems.

I just thought of that with thinking about these different 'builds'. I don't know why there even are different buildsĀ  ICL? GCC?

GCC is gnu C compiler. ICL is Intel C compiler. whichever one does execute same result, 'cause compiled from same sorce codes. it's difference binary level optimisation.

if you have pentium 4 (o/ 3) and intel chipset (e.g. i765, i750, i745), please choice ICL compiled. it wll be a little more high-stepping than GCC one.
<name>madoka</name>

Reply #14
By the way, also am I actually safe encoding with CVS compiles??? I know that is where work in progress takes place, but are my encodes safe in that the files I make should be able to be decoded with future normal releases of FLAC???

nothing is guaranteed for CVS builds.

Reply #15
I've just uploaded a fresh set of CVS compiles that seem to work fine.

Reply #16
I just encoded with it it works great, thanks a lot you two!

Reply #17

many thanks john33.
it works fine.
<name>madoka</name>

Reply #18

Just out of curiosity, what would the advantages be to using your new CVS builds over other compiles (specificially your optimised Pentium 4 bundle on rarewares)?

Thanks for your work.

CyberInferno
-CyberInferno

Reply #19

Just out of curiosity, what would the advantages be to using your new CVS builds over other compiles (specificially your optimised Pentium 4 bundle on rarewares)?

Thanks for your work.

CyberInferno

To be honest, I have no idea as I haven't checked to see what's new!!  I provided this build as a recent CVS build was requested.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021