Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with xvid! (Read 2983 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with xvid!

I have installed the xvid codec "RC3" Koepi's build, onto my Win9X system and all I got was green blocky image output from the file the sound plays fine though. When using my XP based system the output is perfect. So I was wandering what could be wrong on the Win9X system that could do that or is it a bug in xvid?

Win9X system

P4 @ 1.7GHz
512MB RAM
Direct X 9.0b
Catalyst v3.10 Radeon 9600XT
Windows Media Player 9

I think that covers most of the hardware/software being used to playback the video files.

If someone could help it would much appreciated...

Thanks!!

AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Help with xvid!

Reply #1
Sounds like the decoder.  Make sure you're using the new decoder that came with xvid.  FFdshow will work, but the new decoder is better suited to the new stream.
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Help with xvid!

Reply #2
Sorry to be a pain...

But I just used the standard installer package on my XP system and it played without a hitch.

So what do I need to do exactly when its on a Win9X system?

Thanks mobius, the information you have given me was totally lost over my head.  I am rather new to video so I don't really know the ins and outs.

Help with xvid!

Reply #3
Just like playing back audio streams, you need a DirectShow filter for video streams.  That's what the FourCC code is for- identifying the correct filter for playback.  Xvid, divx, 3vix, etc. are all mpeg-4 streams.  FFDShow is a generic DirectShow filter for mpeg-4 streams, however most of the mpeg-4 codecs come with their own DS filter.  You can find out which decoder filter you're using by right-clicking on the video (or properties in WMP) and looking under filters.  Usually, you can change options and so forth with the filter interface that comes up.

Have you installed divx?  IIRC, divx has an aggressive DS filter that tries to decode all mpeg-4 streams.  This could be your problem.  You may also have the old xvid DS filter installed.  It's recommended that you uninstall the old version of xvid before installing the new.

Installing ffdshow and setting it to use libavcodec to decode xvid may solve your problem.

You may also want to check Crusty's faq here:

http://www.vslcatena.nl/~ronald/docs/xvidfaq.html#D0
Gur svggrfg funyy fheivir lrg gur hasvg znl yvir. Jr zhfg ercrng.

Help with xvid!

Reply #4
Geez thanks... that is alot of help.

Gonna try it out now... thanks dude!!!

*EDIT*

That was the problem... cheers mobius!!! FFDShow is now installed.