Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Ripping Errors Sync and Read (Read 3552 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Ripping Errors Sync and Read

I am in the process of Ripping a bunch of copied CDs.  I just moved and a friend made the copies for me while my system was down.  I know it would be ideal to Rip from the originals - but it isn't "possible" since there are in storage. (long story) 

I have done this on occasion previously without a lot of issues.  However, this recent batch takes a very long time for the Rip to complete due to error correction.  The report EAC produces for me says there are Suspicious positions in the Rips.  I have noticed that most (if not all) of the albums with these errors have the errors mostly on track one and some on track two.  Almost no errors on any other tracks on the albums.  When I listen to the wavs produced I don't hear the errors.

My question is:  Does anyone have a theory on why only track 1 and 2 have so many reported errors?  If the copied CD has flaws due to the burner or the application used to copy the CD, I would think the flaws would be throughout the album.  I am using TDK 24x CD Blanks which I have never had a problem with previously.

Reply #1
I've seen that happen with some TDK 12x CD-Rs that I have that are made for TDK by RiTEK.  About the first 10 minutes or so (data or audio) is filled with yellow spots when checked with Nero's CD Speed utility.

Maybe it has to do with that spiral pattern that TDK has in the center of the discs--as the printing dries, it may shrink and mess up the recording layer near the edge of the printing.
godzilla525

Reply #2
I've had the same problem except in my experience it is always track 3 through 6 on any CD. I think it may possibly be a drive problem or a failing drive. On my system CDex reports a jitter error on the same very tracks that EAC reports as having read or sync errors, therefore I don't think it is an EAC only induced problem.

Reply #3
Interesting ... I just ran the Nero CD Quality test on one of these CDs and I see yellow lines all the way to the 6 min mark on the CD.  That makes sense - track one and part of track two would be 6 mins in to the CD. 

What does the X axis measure?  Most of the yellow lines reach to the 6000 range while one spikes to 18000+.  Is the X axis the number of errors?  Also, would this be a more likely a media issue or a drive issue.  Maybe trying to burn to fast to the media?

Reply #4
The higher the yellow bands are, the more C2 errors there are.  It sounds like it's the media, since I burned other brands with the same drive and only my TDK discs did that.  My other ones (Fujifilm made by Taiyo Yuden) are 100% perfect.
godzilla525