Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: sharing single flac albums over network (Read 5450 times) previous topic - next topic

sharing single flac albums over network

Hi,

I've started to rip my cd's to single flac's with cue sheets. And since one flac per album doesn't support "internal" tags for information like track title and other, this information is added to Foobar2000's database.

So far so good. But I want to access my ripped cd's from two computers connected to my home LAN. But when I load the flac's on the "other" computer, all information added to Foobar2000's database is of course inaccessible.

Is there away around this problem, or do I have to rebuild the database on the second computer as well?

Or am I better off with one file per track after all? And going the long way cd -> wav with cue sheet -> split wav by cue sheet -> encode files to flac? That way I can remake the wav in case I need to make an exact copy in the future.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Best regards,

Anders Thoresson

Reply #1
Copy database.foo from the foobar dir to the other computer's foobar dir.

Reply #2

Does this work? On my primary computer, the files are located in d:\music. But this directory is accessed as \\kanaloa\music from my second computer. And since, I supposed that copying the database wouldn't work?

Reply #3

Does this work? On my primary computer, the files are located in d:\music. But this directory is accessed as \\kanaloa\music from my second computer. And since, I supposed that copying the database wouldn't work?

Yes you are right. It doesn't work unfortunately, sorry.

Reply #4
Perhaps you can cheat by "connecting network drive"?
Right-click on the network drive and find that option. I guess it can work if you connect it as d:.

Reply #5
This is why I decided to go with Monkey's Audio instead.  I really liked FLAC too.

Reply #6
I've started to rip my cd's to single flac's with cue sheets. And since one flac per album doesn't support "internal" tags for information like track title and other...

Why not put the track titles in the cue sheet? The only thing you'll miss out on is the year of release and the genre tags, right?

Reply #7
It doesn't support track titles. Read the FAQ

Reply #8
OK, I misinterpreted 'FLACs with cuesheets' as two files.

I append cuesheets to my FLACs, but I also use a separate cue file to hold the extra info.

Reply #9
A while back I thought I saw a thread about the flac foobar plugin supporting cddb records as tags; maybe not anymore.

Anyway, you could nicely ask Case to do the same thing for foo_flac as foo_ape does (see related thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=15578).  I am not against a de-facto standard emerging.

Josh

Reply #10
I would be very happy if foo_flac supported an embedded CUESHEET tag as foo_ape does. Like I said, that's the only reason I'm using Monkey's Audio instead.

Reply #11
OK Peeps (oops on last message!)

No1 I dont find you patronising, Im here to LEARN!

No2 I dont claim to have discovered a new command line, all i done was copy the settings from the website, adjusted V to 0 (best quality) Adj JS to TS, and downgraded the priority as it was hogging my system.  If there is any discovery of new command lines it goes to the ppl at JTHZ and to Radified.Com (as i was routed from there)  I aint no miracle worker.

No3 I defined the setting by taking the worst playing/distorted/CD and sampled that, and thats how I narrowed down to the adjusted switches, i tried all the individual settings within Lame, and just compressed compressed.

No4 The guys @ JHTZ do know what they are talking about, never mind a silly graph (which they state quite clearly underneath does not represent any benchmarks!)  Can I suggest you email them directly and ask them about the arguments and why they suggest the personalised arguments to presets as they do use MP3 in a professional capacity (u need to read more of the web pages to gain an idea of their work, and they are recognised by the Lame Developers, so they cant be full of (ahem).

No5 I am now going of to find out about this ABX test thing, have no idea what I'm doing, but hey I might emerge in a few days (coming down) with some solid results (which ever way they swing)

No6  Ya, Winamp, could well be Placebo, as at the time I was getting distortions through my speakers on playback, so i upgraded to 5, and also changed to 3.95.1 and re-encoded all my music, so that might explain!

Let you guys know soon

Reply #12
This is why I decided to go with Monkey's Audio instead.  I really liked FLAC too.

So you can make "one file per album with all tags/information" using Monkey's?

Reply #13
A while back I thought I saw a thread about the flac foobar plugin supporting cddb records as tags; maybe not anymore.

I'm not a programmer at all, so this question might be totally whacked:

Couldn't the flac format be extended to support track names in the header, together with the cue sheet information? Or is this what you suggest could be achieved using foo_flac?

EDIT: "Not anymore" you write. Has there been support for cddb-records within flac files, but that support is now removed?

Reply #14
Anyway, you could nicely ask Case to do the same thing for foo_flac as foo_ape does (see related thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=15578).  I am not against a de-facto standard emerging.

I think this would be a good idea.  It looks like the only reason Case has not already done this is to avoid going against the standard method, which I can't see would still be a problem if you say you're happy with it:

It's very simple: whole cuesheet with all the metadata in it is stored in single tag field. This is then parsed on load and separate tracks are shown in playlist. Yes, it could be done in FLAC too but since it uses its own method I don't think it would be welcome hack there.

I will raise this in the foobar2000 forum.

Having said that, at the moment I am using separate files for the tracks anyway because EAC doesn't seem to have a Test & Copy version of "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet".  How are people who use Copy Image getting round this?  Do you simply rip twice and manually compare the CRCs in the logs?  Or do you just not care about Test & Copy?  Or am I missing something here?

Reply #15
Having said that, at the moment I am using separate files for the tracks anyway because EAC doesn't seem to have a Test & Copy version of "Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet".  How are people who use Copy Image getting round this?  Do you simply rip twice and manually compare the CRCs in the logs?  Or do you just not care about Test & Copy?  Or am I missing something here?

Yes, I rip twice, in two drives...

It is actually better for your transports too. I enable C2-detection, so that the drive reads only once.  Then by ripping twice, you still have the double-check that EAC would otherwise do, only without the laser pickup racing back and forth.