Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: bug: foobar v1.6.1 low volume (Read 4165 times) previous topic - next topic

bug: foobar v1.6.1 low volume

Volume is too low (around -20dB) compared to v1.5.4, I had to go back to that version.
Tried on both soundcards I have (onboard realtek and maudio audiophile 192) with same result.
My system: Win7 x64, i5-4460, b85 chipset. New version is unusable as it is now.

Re: bug: foobar v1.6.1 low volume

Reply #1
Same here. low volume in the new update.

Reply #2
Try changing the position of the slider in the mixer. The volume is restored.

Reply #3
Hi. Same problem, it was OK in 1.6.1 beta5 [and previous].
I don't have a Mixer entry for Foobar, only for speakers, mic, etc, not for any program. [Win7].
Thx.

Reply #4
That workaround works only on win10, and it's annoying to have to go to mixer each time foobar is opened. 1.6.1 Final should have stayed in beta :)

Reply #5
The per-application mixer has been present since Windows Vista. I agree foobar should have reset the mixer loudness to maximum once after the separation of the OS mixer from internal volume. But you as a user only need to do the fixing operation once. If the mixer doesn't show an entry for foobar2000 just make it play something. Since the mixer is no longer altered by foobar2000 you won't need to touch it again - unless you revert to older version where the DS output touches the mixer constantly.

Reply #6
If the mixer doesn't show an entry for foobar2000 just make it play something.
I did that, but the Mixer doesn't show [there's a a SndVol.exe process that has to be forcefully killed, now I can't 'Show desktop' neither with the button at taskbar, nor with 'Winkey+d';
minimizing all windows one by one, in the desktop there's a weird 'square'  with  cropped/part of last minimized program window, that i guess is where the per-application mixer would show if it were correctly working]

(Killing SndVol.exe enables again to click in the 'reduced' mixer [volume] icon, to adjust Speakers/Mic etc levels [there are no per-application entries], 
but the weird square remains in the desktop obstructing some shortcuts there...).

Reply #7
[Please delete my last post, i can't edit it any more. It was another 'suspended' program that was interfering/hiding the 'full' mixer]

So, i can use the per-application Mixer, and it fixed it.

Thx.

Reply #8

All at 100 % here, the volume of 1.61 and current beta v1.6.1 is way too low, also compared to other players.
I downgraded to 1.6, hoping for a fix soon.

Reply #9
I had the issue of volume getting stuck at 50% in the mixer, and the universal volume control was enabled, yet the volume wasn't syncing with foobar.

Reply #10
Hi guys.
I have the same problem... i was just finding out if my hw or update W10.1903>2004 was the problem, then came here.
Updated from 1.5.6 some days ago, after getting W10.1903 to 2004... and... updated also software... foobar2000 got to 1.6.1... after playing some music, i found out volume is very, very, very low, also using preamp to +20db, low, very low... not normal. Other software has no problem at all (vlc, groove.music etc...)... so, read here, and downgraded from 1.6.1 to 1.6, problem solved, volume is as it should be!!! Bug?

Reply #11
You have two simple options to fix it:
1) Turn volume to maximum in old foobar2000, then upgrade
2) Touch Windows mixer's per-app volume slider for foobar2000. If it claims to be at maximum but volume is wrong, slide it down and then back up.

Reply #13
Added workaround in 1.6.2 beta 4, so you no longer have to do this manually - should reset the slider on first run.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #14
Added workaround in 1.6.2 beta 4, so you no longer have to do this manually - should reset the slider on first run.
The automatic workaround has not worked for me in 1.6.2 final. I'm glad I found this thread because manually adjusting the slider did the trick (thanks Case).

I think it would be a good thing to mention this in the 1.6 release notes (under known issues?), because I searched about this problem before today and didn't find an answer then.

Reply #15
I can state that I have not encountered any issues with the volume, but there are other issues in 1.61 that I'll see if they have been submitted elsewhere.
I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64, the latest update.