Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3 track length incorrect (Read 3797 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3 track length incorrect

Hi,

Yes, the much simpler thing to do is convert it into flac, that way the song length is gonna be reported correctly, and you get to keep the same audio quality, but you do increase the size a bit.

I am wondering if there is anything that can be done about mp3 files that have been exported/created dogdily, I have an mp3 file that's apparently 12:53 in duration, but when I put it into audacity, it is 3:33. You can navigate the song in foobar, but if you navigate anywhere past 3:33 it just stops the file, if you have it on repeat, it repeats the song after it gets to 3:33, evidently it detects that there is no data past this point.

Is there any way I can amend this bit of data which is telling the audio player (and everything else) the wrong file length? Seems like it would be some advanced metadata. I have encountered this in the past, and simply done the thing I mentioned at the start, but this is a little bit annoying now.

Any fix, no matter how technical, would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: mp3 track length incorrect

Reply #1
Foobar2000 precisely has two tools for this:

Select the file, right click popup menu, "Utilities"
- Fix VBR mp3 header
- Rebuild mp3 stream
(I think the later also does the former).

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, JAZ.

I tried the first option (by coincidence, this was a VBR file) and it worked immediately, I really appreciate this. Been using foobar for a long time, feel like i still don't know most of it's features, heh!

Reply #3
If you prefer CLI (Command Line Interface) you can use ffmpeg to directly copy the stream (no quality loss) or mp3packer to do the same and possibly save some space.
gold plated toslink fan