Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: freeformat- how I can create mp3 @ 384kbps? (Read 9520 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from freeformat at 640 kbp...

freeformat- how I can create mp3 @ 384kbps?

Hello everyone
Please let me know how I can create mp3 in high bitrate looking  for 384kbps
What kind of software I need may I create this files from CD .?
Or I need high resolution files.?

Re: freeformat- how I can create mp3 @ 384kbps?

Reply #1
Please let me know how I can create mp3 in high bitrate looking  for 384kbps

You need latest lame encoder, original wav files and knowledge of working in console.
Simplest, put your input.wav file and lame.exe in same folder, navigate to that folder in console, and then type this:
lame.exe --freeformat -b 384 input.wav
Be aware, though, that not many players will play it. Foobar2000 says it doesn't know what the hell this is :) VLC plays it.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
The highest standard MP3 bitrate is 320kbps.     If you're getting audible artifacts at 320kbps, those artifacts are probably not bitrate-related and going to a higher (or slightly lower) bitrate probably won't make any difference.

Most of the time, you don't have to push MP3 to it's limits (or past it's official limits) to get transparent compression (i.e. an MP3 that sounds identical to the uncompressed original in a blind ABX test). 

If you can use a different format, FLAC is lossless.   You'll get typically files that are a little more than twice the size of a good-quality MP3 (a bitrate of around 700kbps).

Reply #3
You need latest lame encoder, original wav files and knowledge of working in console.
Simplest, put your input.wav file and lame.exe in same folder, navigate to that folder in console, and then type this:
lame.exe --freeformat -b 384 input.wav
Be aware, though, that not many players will play it. Foobar2000 says it doesn't know what the hell this is :) VLC plays it.

Thank you I’m not sure  what you mean when you talk about console what kind of console you talking about ?
Are you talking about Windows prompt ?

mod edit - fix quote

Reply #4
The highest standard MP3 bitrate is 320kbps.     If you're getting audible artifacts at 320kbps, those artifacts are probably not bitrate-related and going to a higher (or slightly lower) bitrate probably won't make any difference.

I would like to test myself then I can have some options

mod edit - fix quote

Reply #5
Thank you I’m not sure  what you mean when you talk about console what kind of console you talking about ?
Are you talking about Windows prompt ?
Yes, prompt, I am working on various OSes, so all these are consoles to me :)

Reply #6
I will need your help and baby steps how to move wave file and lame to prompt comment

Reply #7
Many older versions of LAME can handle compressing free format. I know that 3.8x does; it's likely your version can.

Converting to free format can be done in foobar2000 (even though foobar2000 won't recognize the resulting MP3). In fb2k, select your file to convert to MP3, go to the Converter Setup->Output format, click Add New; select MP3 (LAME) encoder, then select Custom for the encoder. By default you should see the text "-S --noreplaygain -V 2 - %d" in the command line options (Parameters). Replace the "-V 2" text with "-b 384 -h --freeformat". That will set up the encoder to do free format at 384 kbps at high quality (the -h means high quality).

Reply #8
I was able to navigate to folder with wave file and lame .exe then I write commend
lame.exe - -freeformat - b 384 input wav
Come with unrecognized option

Reply #10
Many older versions of LAME can handle compressing free format. I know that 3.8x does; it's likely your version can.

Converting to free format can be done in foobar2000 (even though foobar2000 won't recognize the resulting MP3). In fb2k, select your file to convert to MP3, go to the Converter Setup->Output format, click Add New; select MP3 (LAME) encoder, then select Custom for the encoder. By default you should see the text "-S --noreplaygain -V 2 - %d" in the command line options (Parameters). Replace the "-V 2" text with "-b 384 -h --freeformat". That will set up the encoder to do free format at 384 kbps at high quality (the -h means high quality).
Thank you very much for your help some how I have error please re check parameters
I use lime 3.1 and 3.99 I try to decode wave file to mp3
In Parameters line -b 384 -h —freeformat %d

Reply #11
Code: [Select]
-S --noreplaygain -b 384 -h --freeformat - %d
korth

Reply #12
The encoder has terminated  prematurely with code -1. (0xFFFFFFFF)

Reply #13
Ok i finally was able to make mp3 384kbps thank you all for help

Reply #14
Now, good luck getting anything to play it.

Reply #16
Yes, and they can't be doing their own MP3 stream parsing. Freeformat requires special parsing, since the only indicator that it's free format is that the length field in the packet does not indicate the packet length.

Reply #17
Hi everyone
I can play this files with Cool Player I didn’t have to do anything no changes no set up I have no idea if this player have Mad decoder but plays MP3 384 kbps I was doing this experiment because DCC player is set up for MPEG 1 384kbps I like to hear if there is differences in quality
My question is how to set up Foobar2000 player with this Mad decoder ?

Reply #18
You don't.

Reply #20
Yes, and they can't be doing their own MP3 stream parsing.
Well, it works fine with SoX, I just dropped libmad.dll into SoX' folder and here is the result with a 512 kbps Free Format file:

Code: [Select]
D:\Tools\SoX>sox FF512k.mp3 -d

FF512k.mp3:

File Size: 1.88M     Bit Rate: 512k
  Encoding: MPEG audio
  Channels: 2 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 44100Hz
Replaygain: off
  Duration: 00:00:29.39

In:99.9% 00:00:29.36 [00:00:00.03] Out:1.29M [      |      ] Hd:0.2 Clip:0
Done.

I don't have Winamp anymore but since 1by1 supports Winamp plugins I just tried to drop in_mad.dll 0.15.1b into it's folder and here is the result:

And latest VLC plays Free Format out of the box, nothing to tweak / tune.

Reply #21
Is thera a specific reason why foobar2000 doesn't play freeformat mp3 files?

Reply #22
Because they are not quite mp3 files and because there are better alternatives which are both of higher quality at that bitrates and more compatible? Supporting them could make that evolutional deadend more popular.

Reply #23
I was doing this experiment because DCC player is set up for MPEG 1 384kbps
What do you mean with DCC?   Digital Compact Cassette? That is NOT MP3, that is MP1 and that does have a 384kbps standard setting. Or do you mean DVB (Digital video broadcast? That would be MP2).
LAME is not an MP1 encoder. (for MP2, there is twolame.  ).
MP3 players might or might not support MP1 (just like freeformat MP3). MP2 is more supported

Reply #24
Because they are not quite mp3 files and because there are better alternatives which are both of higher quality at that bitrates and more compatible? Supporting them could make that evolutional deadend more popular.
While the format is more wasteful in space compared to Vorbis and AAC, free format is still very much a valid MP3. It's only non-standard. Out of the various possible header codes used for free format, I've only seen two in practice. mpg123 already covers one of them; to get mpg123 to recognize both is pretty easy, and only requires changing a line or two in one source file.

ffmpeg recognizes and decodes all of the free format MP3s. Really, player decoders are behind on this. I expected more from MPC-HC.