Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Flac to MP3 + LAME (Read 6560 times) previous topic - next topic

Flac to MP3 + LAME

Hello all, I just want to quick clarification and suggestions please.  I currently use Foobar2000 to convert my flac to mp3.  I am wondering if I can convert using LAME on the command line?  I always thought you were able too, but when i tried to do it I get errors such as:
Warning: unsupported audio format
Can't init infile '1 Help Me.flac'"

If you can convert using the command line, could you post me an example command? And lastly, What other methods do you all use for converting Flac to Mp3?

Re: Flac to MP3 + LAME

Reply #1
You need to convert the FLAC to PCM first, because that is what LAME expects. Foobar2000 does this for you, on the command line you need to do it yourself.

But I have no idea how to do it on Windows.

Reply #2
afaik, foobar`s converter use stdout/in. no matter flac/wav/etc. default settings for lame is working.

Reply #3
Code: [Select]
flac -d -c input.flac | lame -V2 - output.mp3
or
flac -d input.flac -o - | lame -V2 - output.mp3

Reply #4
Linux bash, converting a whole folder of FLACs to MP3s:
find . -iname "*.flac" -exec sh -c 'ffmpeg -i "$1" -ab 320k -map_metadata 0 -id3v2_version 3 "${1%.flac}.mp3"' _ {} \;

Or, for just one file:
ffmpeg -i file.flac -ab 320k -map_metadata 0 -id3v2_version 3 file.mp3