Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iRiver won't add OGG support? (Read 2343 times) previous topic - next topic

iRiver won't add OGG support?

I just read these news on IRiver.
http://www.iriver.com/company/news_view.asp?idx=344
There are many customers who are wondering why the iMP series below 400 (iMP-50, 100, 150, 250 and 350) do not support Xtreme 3D or SRS. The technical answer for this question is that the products under iMP-400 do not have DSP but MP3 Decoding RISC CPU. Since the iFP series and iMP-550 have a DSP chip that allows high quality sound like Xtreme EQ and Xtreme 3D function. Unfortunately, RISC CPU can not produce high quality sound like DSP can do. iRiver will continuously upgrade to maximize the sound quality of RISC CPU products but they can not technically support Xtreme 3D.

So this means that it is impossible to add OGG to my imp 350?
(And THEY all time was lieing about OGG?) 
[span style=\'color:green\'][span style=\'font-family:Courier\']Vorbis is da best![/span][/span]

Reply #1
1) It's Ogg, or Vorbis or Ogg Vorbis, it's not an acronym like MP3.

2) They said they can't support Xtreme 3D and EQ, I didn't see one thing on Ogg in that entire quote. I've got a iMP-550, and I'm still skeptical. Once I've loaded my player with Oggs and it works with it, I'll believe it.

A DSP chip has to do with equalizing, it has *nothing* with decoding Ogg Vorbis and MP3 decoding.  B)

Reply #2
Ok. Sorry.I just read this.
There's a general purpose CPU with DSP extensions (fast multiply-accumulate) in the Pearl. It can peak at about 180 MIPS. We have a lot of headroom for future expansion, but the more CPU power you use, the shorter the battery life.

The SP250/IMP250 don't use a dedicated MP3/OGG decoder at all in fact; the Cirrus 7312 they use is a general purpose processor (again, with DSP extensions - ie, it has the ARM7TDMI core) which Cirrus aim at the digital audio market, but they are most definitely NOT dedicated audio chips. An IMP250 is capable of playing FLAC, OGG, WMA, MP3, AAC, etc, with the right software & licenses.

Hugo
[span style=\'color:green\'][span style=\'font-family:Courier\']Vorbis is da best![/span][/span]

Reply #3
Check out site I mentioned above.
There is info about new player Rio Pearl,  that will
support FLAC and Vorbis.

Reply #4
Check out site I mentioned above.
There is info about new player Rio Pearl,  that will
support FLAC and Vorbis.

Yeah, that thread is VERY interesting.  That looks to be a great player in the works.  I personally can't wait.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021