Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Meridian Audio's new... sub-format called MQA. (Read 147059 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Meridian Audio's new... sub-format called MQA.

Reply #400
Nice ban. Now Brian Lucey can concentrate on making music instead of wasting his time on a shilling forum.

Reply #401
Nice ban. Now Brian Lucey can concentrate on making music instead of wasting his time on a shilling forum.
Chris ConMan needs the MQA money to feed his kids
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #403
Anyone seen this talk from the chaos communication congress?

Trigger warning: Contains some moderate amount of audiophilia. Nonetheless this is worth watching. MQA explained from a Hacker's viewpoint.

MQA - A clever stealth DRM-Trojan

Reply #404
By the way, the "authenticated" part of MQA strikes me as a single benefit of this otherwise useless format. And no, it doesn't mean we should buy into it.

The cryptographic authentication process - at least in theory - would keep the rights owners and download/streaming services from applying digital watermarks further down the supply chain. Or at least consumers could notice immediately that the audio has been altered. Audible or not, i see these watermarks as a way to spy on consumer behavior and i'd really like to get rid of these. Sad thing that meridian implemented this idea first.

Maybe someone could hack up an open source solution to cryptographically "authenticate" audio using an existing format such as flac. That would be pretty awesome.

*edit*
Maybe even in a way that "survives" resampling and/or bitdepth reduction, by not considering the single "bits and bytes", but the actual resulting signal, allowing for just the right margin of error (i.e. everything that cannot be represented in redbook resolution / that doesn't fall in the audible frequency range - when playing back redbook resolution audio).

Reply #405
Another thought...
Maybe this is the whole reason MQA exists in the first place. I'm sure meridian holds patents on the authentication stuff and will take licensing fees from anyone who is implementing some similar technology, which i'm sure someone will want to do in the future.

Reply #406
Someone was able to let his own files distributed on Tidal getting the full MQA treatment including test tones.
He summarizes the debacle well in a video.
GoldenSound on youtube I published music on Tidal to test MQA - MQA Review
By accident he also stumbled across the typical Watermark pattern at ~10.20  :)
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #407
Someone was able to let his own files distributed on Tidal getting the full MQA treatment including test tones.
He summarizes the debacle well in a video.
GoldenSound on youtube I published music on Tidal to test MQA - MQA Review
By accident he also stumbled across the typical Watermark pattern at ~10.20  :)

This video is excellent, and something everyone should watch.

Reply #408
The slurpers won't care. The blue Pavlov light is suffice.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #410
Still pretending to be lossless...
It is lossless AND better than lossless!!!oneoneone (where "oneoneone" unfolds to 1101 which has higher resolution).

Eff, i am using Bob Stuart's loudspeakers ...

Reply #411
MQA perfectly illustrates the ineffectiveness of development solely for profit versus development in pursuit of effective design.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #412
MQA your wallet comes up lossless.  😂
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #413
Just had a quick nosey at their website. Still pretending to be lossless...

https://www.mqa.co.uk/newsroom/qa/is-mqa-lossless

Back when Meridian still owned MQA, they did not claim to be lossless. Now I guess they're trying to change their image. I remember seeing audiophiles clearly state that MQA is lossy. But that didn't matter. Whatever secret sauce they were using was making things sounds BETTER than lossless.

I think one of the more disturbing things is that Tidal is removing 16/44.1 FLAC versions of their music and ONLY offering MQA as an option.

Reply #414
I think one of the more disturbing things is that Tidal is removing 16/44.1 FLAC versions of their music and ONLY offering MQA as an option.

In for an edit war at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_(service)#Plans against MQA shills then?

Reply #415
MQA shill army already is out on ASR for example with 10 posts fresh members ignoring all obvious findings and spreading disturbing marketing crap all over again. MQA is good for you
This MQA plague has the most obvious machinery doing exactly these things since i read about it.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #417
On YouTube a video was posted showing how the MQA process alters the sound and how the claims made by MQA do not hold true.
😂
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #418
MQA=Mangles the Quality of Audio
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #422
Making Quirky Assertion

Reply #423
Meridians Questionable Audio

.halverhahn

Reply #424
Mystery Quality Audio
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)