Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A new Android player to play Opus files (Read 11821 times) previous topic - next topic

A new Android player to play Opus files

Hello

A new player was released for Android, now supporting also .opus format
And it's free (the free version)
Give it a try here: http://opusamp.com/

Reply #1
Hell yeah! I really like the graphical interface of this player. Add replaygain support and an option to output music in mono (when using only one earplug in situation where you do not want to be totally cut off from the world around you).

Reply #2
This app is perfectly suitable to play your music thanks to algorithms that preserve content quality when playing your audio files.

I so wish I could understand (maybe believe) this claim.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
This app is perfectly suitable to play your music thanks to algorithms that preserve content quality when playing your audio files.

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

Reply #4

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

Perhaps as an alternative to totally mangling the content when playing?

Reply #5
I don't know.. What if I want my content quality mangled when playing my audio files?

Reply #6
I tried it on the Android and the Opus files didn't play (nor even show)

Reply #8
Isn't opus supported in the new Android 5.0?

Reply #9
Yes, 5.0 does support opus natively. That's what my first thought was after seeing this thread. However, considering the percentage of devices currently on 5.0, plus the fact most of those that are not on 5.0 will probably never get the update, I guess the app can be seen as one providing opus support for "legacy" devices.

Reply #10
Isn't opus supported in the new Android 5.0?

I have several different devices (N4, N7-2012) on 5.0 and cannot get Opus files to play. Either there are bugs or issues with the implementation. I've contacted a couple of developers with AOSP based audio playback and nothing plays Opus. File explorer to an Opus files does not play either or is recognised even as a ring tone etc. FFMPEG based players such as Gone Mad are fine and have been for a while so that is what I'm using for time being. I'd really like to hear of others experience as something does not seem right.

Reply #11
My statement was based on this.
I'm guessing the apps have to be updated to use the new API level that supports opus, but not being recognized as a ringtone is weird.
I'd also expect at least google music to play opus out of the box.

Reply #12
Opus should be play, the dev promised to give a support to it.
Here he says the codec is supported:

• The term "opus" in the name of this app doesn't refer to Opus audio codec, even if OpusAMP can play audio encoded with the free "opus" codec. It refers to opus numbers of musical compositions (details here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_number).

Reply #13
Opus should be play, the dev promised to give a support to it.
Here he says the codec is supported:

• The term "opus" in the name of this app doesn't refer to Opus audio codec, even if OpusAMP can play audio encoded with the free "opus" codec. It refers to opus numbers of musical compositions (details here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_number).

wtf?

Reply #14
It doesn't play opus.

Reply #15
Sorry folkz I tested now the player on my own and must agree it doesn't recognize opus audio. Perhaps the dev complies his pledges.

Reply #16
Sorry folkz I tested now the player on my own and must agree it doesn't recognize opus audio. Perhaps the dev complies his pledges.

Maybe it plays it if you have the right Android version?

Reply #17
ArmAmp by Wiktor Adamski.

I tried and it works for opus, although the UI needs improvements.

Reply #18
I tested with android 5.0. It does not work.

Reply #19
I have a good news. Latest OpusAMP version 1.0.2.2 already can play my opus files.
Can we have a listening test for Android players playing Opus files?

- Neutron (commercial)
- Gonemad (commercial)
- OpusAMP (freeware/commercial)
- ArmAmp (freeware)

Reply #20
I have a good news. Latest OpusAMP version 1.0.2.2 already can play my opus files.
Can we have a listening test for Android players playing Opus files?

- Neutron (commercial)
- Gonemad (commercial)
- OpusAMP (freeware/commercial)
- ArmAmp (freeware)

I've used GoneMad for year or two including for Opus playback. Audio has been fine; not sure what there is to say. It has a pre-amp which I find useful (which I've not seen in any other player) when outputting to the N7-2012 dock in particular. I do find the UI dated now but update is supposedly in the works. It's the only player I've used successfully with Opus. Right now I've switched back to Ogg-Vorbis for my lossy encodes and using Google Play Music (local mode). I do also like Shuttle (AOSP based) but it does not pickup Opus despite 5.0; same also for Google Play Music. I expect to revert back to Opus and GoneMad once the 2.0 release hits.

Reply #21
I bought both GoneMAD and Neutron and have been using these two players (I prefer GoneMAD).
Within Opus playback only, both players have no problem and equally sound to my ears without applying any effects.

Neutron offers more advanced features, all of which are not needed for general users, I think.
The UI is a little bit uncomfortable; it just takes some to get used to for many users.
One intersting thing is that the Neutron developers never open licenses.
I couldn't find any information in the official website.
Does it mean they developed their own decoders for all supported formats? I can't believe it...

To me, the UI of GoneMAD is more familar and easy to use.
There is an MPC playback issue, but no problem has occured in Opus and other formats.
The developer said an extensive update of its audio engine is planned after official release of v2.0.

Both offer a trial version, and I suggest you to just try.

Reply #22
What I like ArmAmp:
  • Opus support
  • ReplayGain
  • Headphone crossfeed
  • Freeware

Reply #23
I play music with AIMP.
It's free, and have EQ.
You can play folders or playlist.
And sound great when you conect the phone to amplifier.
I recommended.

Reply #24
recommended

Sorry for that mistake. My english is not good.

I want to say:

I recommend it.