Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: External Drive for Mac (Read 1808 times) previous topic - next topic

External Drive for Mac

In 2008 I bough an LG GP08 as an external DVD drive, it works okay. In 2018 I got a new one, An Asus SDRW-08U9M-U.

The Asus gives me accurate rips with XLD but has usually a lot of alternative offsets, like here for a pressed copy of "Automatic for the People"

Code: [Select]
List of alternate offset correction values
        #  | Absolute | Relative | Confidence
    ------------------------------------------
        1  |     42   |     36   |     400    
        2  |   -775   |   -781   |     384    
        3  |    -32   |    -38   |     78    
        4  |   -913   |   -919   |     49    
        5  |   -303   |   -309   |      9    
        6  |     48   |     42   |      2    
        7  |   -959   |   -965   |      2    
        8  |   -942   |   -948   |      2    
        9  |    508   |    502   |      2  

Alternative offsets for "Collapse Into Now"

Code: [Select]
List of alternate offset correction values
        #  | Absolute | Relative | Confidence
    ------------------------------------------
        1  |     60   |     54   |     364    
        2  |     54   |     48   |     281    
        3  |     18   |     12   |     54    
        4  |     48   |     42   |     25    
        5  |     66   |     60   |      3    
        6  |     -6   |    -12   |      2  

My question is, if the rips are accurate does it matter which offsets are recommended or should I change my settings? I currently use the setting 6 which suggested for the Asus U8M, for the U9M there is no setting in the database.

Re: External Drive for Mac

Reply #1
You should use the read offset correction value for your drive, not adjust the correction value to match alternate pressings.
korth

Reply #2
Personally, I'd be more interested in seeing the "AccurateRip Summary" part of the logs. If those seem OK, I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the alternate offset values are concerned, these are often different pressings of the same album; when a new batch of pressings is requested, an offset is often introduced with respect to previous pressings of the album.
Lossless: flac --best --verify
Lossy: opusenc --bitrate 160

Reply #3
Thanks for the answers. The CDs are accurately ripped. It was only if I should believe those alternative offsets, which I'd never noticed when I used the older LG drive.