Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "Only few percents of FIDELITY" (Read 4699 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Educational Achieveme...

"Only few percents of FIDELITY"

This is on the back of a conversation where the OP had claimed that a blind test was not required to correlate audibility with THD measurements because he read something by someone he deemed as an authority.  When the claim was rejected he decided to further this argument from authority by questioning the educational background of the people who contributed to the discussion.
@greynol

Could you explain why my subwoofer is under 1% of THD and at the same time totally unable to reproduce a complex audio signal in a range of only few percents of FIDELITY ?

Re: "Only few percents of FIDELITY"

Reply #1
I've split the above post from the original discussion because it was off-topic.

Could you explain why my subwoofer is under 1% of THD and at the same time totally unable to reproduce a complex audio signal in a range of only few percents of FIDELITY ?
I'm not sure I know what "few percents of fidelity" means.

Would you be able to provide data from controlled listening tests that demonstrate whatever problem it is that you're trying to describe is audible?

Reply #2
Could you explain why my subwoofer is under 1% of THD...
Put me down as "skeptical".   ;)  If it's an active (powered) subwoofer, that's probably just the amplifier  spec (when it's not clipping).

There are also frequency response non-linearities.  Possibly even resonance/ringing.   Room acoustics have a HUGE effect on frequency response and resonances. 

And, you can get rattling, buzzing, or port noise, etc.  

You could get intermodulation distortion (but I don't think that's a big problem with subwoofers).

It's also possible to overdrive the speaker or the amplifier, especially at very-low or subsonic frequencies (in which case you'll exceed the distortion spec).

P.S.
What subwoofer is this?

Reply #3
Could you explain why my subwoofer is under 1% of THD

Your subwoofer is not under 1% THD.  The spec sheet may claim that, but it is not true in practice.

Reply #4
I've got some loudspeakers that have great abilities in the bass domain and it is easy to perform a low THD measurements outdoor, and indoor.
On the figures 6 to 9 here : http://www.geocities.ws/kreskovs/Box-Q.html and especially the figures 15 and 16 here : http://www.geocities.ws/kreskovs/Box-Qa.html the input signal tracking is extremely poor, the output signal is not really in phase, wich mathematically tend to a very low number of statistical correspondance.
A Rice Kellogg loudspeaker is a sheet of paper (or someting else) putted in a box (if you want a punchy bass rendering) acuated by an electric motor... therfore it sounds like sheet of paper (or someting else) putted in a box (if you want a punchy bass rendering) acuated by an electric motor, trying to match the input signal to the output of acoustic energy in the air is a good place to start IMO.

Reply #7
Someone needs to break out the mannequin head microphones?

Reply #9
I've got some loudspeakers that have great abilities in the bass domain and it is easy to perform a low THD measurements outdoor, and indoor.

What was the result of you doing this?

Reply #10
And the test data for audibility?
It is totally dependant of the Fs and Fs is different for each loudspeaker.
Again, we need proof of audibility.  Our rules are quite clear. Without proof we can't continue discussing this as if it is an actual problem.

Reply #11
I don't think he understands what John K as saying at all, or properties of any band limited system
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #14
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/2rcv6s/audio_woo_checklist/
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Audio_woo

I'm here to improve my english.
That's a noble effort.  I'm having a difficult time figuring out whether you think you know what you're saying or you only think you know what you're saying.

Reply #17
could you explain what is fishing 101 or 102 please ?

Reply #20
Sorry, i'm totally hermetic to the geek culture, i've recentely forced myself to read few pages of a manga and watch a episode of "big bang theory" but i still need a translator  :(

Reply #21
Sorry, i'm totally hermetic to the geek culture,
That doesn't seem consistent with your persona over at diyaudio.  :o

Reply #22
Just saying, when you make loud bass sound waves, "perfect" woofers aren't enough, you need to make sure that no objects in your home resonate with it. A lot of metal/plastic/glass/etc. objects may add "distortion" because they literally jump and hit other hard surfaces, and they need to be fixed in place or dampened somehow. So if you hear a distortion, check if it actually comes from the subwoofer or it's something jumping in your room.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed