Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Where do you get your music from (primary)?

CD - new, bought online or in local stores
[ 130 ] (25.3%)
CD - used, bought online or in local stores
[ 87 ] (16.9%)
CD - used, borrowed or rented
[ 37 ] (7.2%)
DVD or SACD - new, bought online or in local stores
[ 13 ] (2.5%)
DVD or SACD - used, bought online or in local stores
[ 9 ] (1.8%)
DVD or SACD - used, borrowed or rented
[ 4 ] (0.8%)
iTunes
[ 25 ] (4.9%)
Other online store (e.g. Google Play, Amazon, etc.)
[ 84 ] (16.3%)
I use Spotify, Deezer or other streaming services
[ 60 ] (11.7%)
Other (e.g. Vinyl)
[ 65 ] (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 351

Topic: Where do you get your music from? (Read 82881 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you get your music from?

Reply #75
I've never used Bandcamp's streaming services anyway. I always treat purchases from them as download FLAC and pretend my local copy is the only copy that I'll ever have access to.

Same, in reality - and especially now. But I still hate corporates that rip me off. And especially music industry sharks who hide behind the piracy excuse in order to piss off their paying customers.
(I nearly managed to avoid EMI and BMG the years they sold mock CDs too. Nearly - it is hard when you buy people's entire collections second-hand.)

Reply #76
I put down the CDs, used option, but I'm roughly tied between that and downloads -- whether that be from Hyperion, Bandcamp, the Free Music Archive, artists' own websites, or even Jamendo (back when they were good and provided OGG Vorbis files and even torrents).

Reply #77
and even torrents
Archive.org does that, here is their section for netlabels. But torrents are not so much used, it seems - well my taste could be too narrow for anyone wanting to download the same things. But these days I rather grab the fileset marked "Original", I do not think the torrent indicates which ones that were uploaded.
(Beware some illicit uploads every now and then, of course.)

Reply #78
I do not think the torrent indicates which ones that were uploaded.

I use Transmission as my Bittorent client; it lets you view the list of files that will be downloaded and seeded, and even allows you to easily deselect files and folders you don't want. I believe most clients I've tried have this option?  Could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the tip about the Internet Archive!

Reply #79
I meant: which files the uploader submitted, and which ones were auto-transcoded by archive.org. That's not a BT-technical thing.

Reply #80
When I buy music I mostly buy vinyl discs OR High Resolution 24 bit 192 kHz/96 kHz FLAC.

Reply #81
Hello, I use Apple Music+Google Play Music+Youtube Premium but most I prefer Tidal Hi-Fi.
I read the other day that Tidal Hi-Fi version now have 150.000 tunes in Master quality(24 bit-96 KHz)

Reply #82
is it really necessary to buy music?

Reply #83
It is if you want to support the artists. And buying from Bandcamp is the best way to do that.

Reply #84
90% CD, the rest is from alternative sources.

Reply #85
Hi
i get them new from a famous online store (don't know if i can tell the online store name)
can't find used/second hand cds

Reply #86
think yes, you are right. I've never thought about why you need to download music before. I didn't know that the artist receives some percentage of money for each downloaded song because I thought this happens every time he listens. I usually included selections on the crowdfunding promoters service on https://show4me.com/and didn't think you could support the artists you listen to daily. I'm even a little ashamed now because I didn't know that such a large number of people were downloaded songs. Now I know that I will try the service you advised me. Thank you again for your reply

Reply #87
It is if you want to support the artists. And buying from Bandcamp is the best way to do that.
Warning that Bandcamp annuls your purchases after you have paid: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=108139.msg960386#msg960386 . Screw their own terms of service ...
And so this year, I only bought from Bandcamp on those particular days where all proceeds would go to the artist (save for PayPal fees) and Bandcamp themselves got nothing. But that arrangement is over, so ...

... so Boomkat it is. Labels like 4AD, Mute, Denovali, Ipecac, Play It Again Sam, Rough Trade, Southern Lord, and John Zorn's Tzadik.
Typically they charge a premium (like £1 extra) for FLAC over MP3. But not always, so it seems to be up to the artist/label. Example where album costs the same but individual tracks are more expensive (as if you would buy individual tracks from GY!BE in any case?): https://boomkat.com/products/g_d-s-pee-at-state-s-end

Reply #88
I already consider it good enough that they offer the one download the first time you buy the tracks. Offering you continued free redownloads is almost akin to a CD publisher offering you replacement CDs any time you should lose or destroy your purchased CD.

I just buy it wherever it's available, and don't care if I can ever download it from there again in the future.

Reply #89
For me, buying a full album is cheaper on Qobuz than getting the CD from my local store. I'm much prefer to have a physical copy but it just doesn't make sense money wise. Also if I'm purchasing music, I don't particularly want to wait for shipping considering it can take around a week to get to me from pretty much any source.

Reply #90
since sony create CD,I always use sonyselect for my family for decades.but the problem is sony is japanese which I am english.

Reply #91
Used to be a media hoarder with literally thousands of audio cds and video games, managed to drag myself out of that habit to live a relatively clutter-free digital existence. Just dipped a toe in bandcamp and it is easy, hopefully they don't watermark the audio? Shame it's now owned by Epic, I've avoided Epic until now because of their anti-Linux and pro-exclusive stance.

For the record torrents usenet archive.org etc are just methods of distribution, you can and I do download perfectly legal things from them. Not supporting piracy should not mean vilifying perfectly good tech. If bandcamp offered an ad-hoc torrent instead of a zip file I would do that, zip is fine but you have to unzip, mainly torrents allow flakey connections to download large files without manual fail->retry hell (poorly setup servers may not even allow you to resume which is maddening).

Reply #92
CDs + torrents (lossless only)
F.O.R.A.R.T. npo

Reply #93
Just dipped a toe in bandcamp and it is easy, hopefully they don't watermark the audio? Shame it's now owned by Epic, I've avoided Epic until now because of their anti-Linux and pro-exclusive stance.
Try Boomkat. Various formats, physical and/or download, example like this: https://boomkat.com/products/does-spring-hide-its-joy
Yes they charge a premium on lossless.

I have also experienced that Bandcamp cancels my purchase after I have paid. No piracy involved ((1) I got that from the artist and (2) another of the titles were available by the same label, but I couldn't access it). So ... no Bandcamp except on Bandcamp Friday where they (allegedly!) waive their cut of the price tag.
No sign of watermarking though. The FLAC download of https://candlemass.bandcamp.com/album/house-of-doom verifies AccurateRip (used CUETools, found AccurateRip ID 0003ba97-000e8838-33049c04 )