Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar2000 (Read 138390 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar2000

Reply #100
Well I tested with my denon mic. Turns out that after EQ'ing everything sounds flat, no life in it. Low notes sound like they are EQ'ed out, not pleasurable to listen to, very "cold" sound.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. In the examples you see the lows in the graph fade out to the  unhearable range. In my measurements they are quite high even in de 20hz range.

When I turn the slider up to the point the lows are unaffected (quite high) it restores, but it also gets back more to the original tone of the setup, so I think I am eliminating a part of the calibration I just done.
Also i put the mic on a one-foot tripod at ear height and put the children to bed (that helps a lot!)

Is there someone with a little more experience that can help me out?

At this moment I am already getting more pleasant result by playing with the settings, but it's quite difficult. Maybe there are some tips or do & don'ts to consider :)

Reply #101
I'm getting the hang of it....

This plugin is fantastic  :o  :o  :))  :))

I thought I had tuned my set quite good. After turning off the plugin, everything seems more boomy. Also the highs are much more dampened.
Love this thing. Soon I'm getting myself a good measurement microphone. Only need to find out now how to import the calibration file in this tool... I have no idea yet.

Reply #102
Interesting, what about a VST multichannels version?
You can use multiple instances of Room EQ VST in your DAW.
That is obviously not the case in foobar2000, which is OK by me. I just have a question about it.
I just started using the Room EQ plugin in foobar2000 in combination with a 5.1 channel setup. No problem, I'd like to know if Room EQ in this situation only affects the front L+R channels?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #103
I'm getting the hang of it....

This plugin is fantastic  :o  :o  :))  :))

I thought I had tuned my set quite good. After turning off the plugin, everything seems more boomy. Also the highs are much more dampened.
Love this thing. Soon I'm getting myself a good measurement microphone. Only need to find out now how to import the calibration file in this tool... I have no idea yet.

A little update. I did use a calibrated mic short after my post, but found that the sound after calibration was still not quite how I like it after listening more thoroughly to it. The boomyness was fixed by putting the outer rings of the bongs into my CM10 s2 speakers. It fixed that perfectly.

After trying with and without calibration it somehow not quite satisfies me. Maybe I like the signature of the B&W speakers the way they are, but then again calibrated should be de point to start. Tried many different settings but still I miss something. The low end is a bit too suppressed. Maybe this comes from a slight hum from my aquarium pumps (50hz). I don't know if they influence the measurement? It's barely noticable, but to a microphone maybe more??

Are there any suggestions or alternatives to this to fool around with?

Reply #104
Meh, another update without changelog.  ::)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #105
Hiyas, can I measure a purposeful profile using builtin laptop mic or do I need an external studio microphone?

Reply #106
Hiyas, can I measure a purposeful profile using builtin laptop mic or do I need an external studio microphone?
The built-in laptop mic has a non-linear frequency response and its directional pattern is not suitable for this application. You need a conventional measurement microphone. They are not expensive. Look at this model: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-umm-6-usb-measurement-microphone--390-808

Reply #107
Thanks k2k for this wonderful piece of software, very user friendly. I recently bought a UMIK-1 for setting up the foobar DSP.

As someone who is new to room correction, I have a few questions;
What volume in decibels (approx.) should my speakers output while running the measurement?
How many measurements should I run if I have only a single static listening position?
Does mic placement make a big difference in terms of height and angle?

Reply #108
What volume in decibels (approx.) should my speakers output while running the measurement?
[...]
Is there any reason not to start with your listening volume and the listening position? 

(If height makes a difference in terms of sound, then mic placement will placement will make a difference too, of course.)

Reply #109
Thanks k2k for this wonderful piece of software, very user friendly. I recently bought a UMIK-1 for setting up the foobar DSP.

As someone who is new to room correction, I have a few questions;
How many measurements should I run if I have only a single static listening position?

REW suggest 75db + (take care for clipping if going up).

Moving the mic 1" will change your measurements. There's no consensus about mic placement up or forward, so do what suits you.

I take one or two measurements before changing something in my room. There's chances of having weird measurements or noise during a sweep.

Reply #110
Does the software offer the option to correct only below the Schroeder frequency of the room, as per the recommendations of Toole and some others who assert that 'correcting' above that may be detrimental.  Below Schroeder, room modal effects dominate; above it, reverberant effects dominate.   For 'typical' rooms it's circa 300Hz. 

Reply #111
Does the software offer the option to correct only below the Schroeder frequency of the room, as per the recommendations of Toole and some others who assert that 'correcting' above that may be detrimental.  Below Schroeder, room modal effects dominate; above it, reverberant effects dominate.   For 'typical' rooms it's circa 300Hz.
If you don't wish to correct the frequency response above 300 Hz, use the manual correction of the curve. Use the left mouse button to draw arbitrary curves, or use the right mouse button to draw straight lines. The statement about the influence of the reverberation effect is correct, however, Room EQ applies an advanced multipoint measurement algorithm that takes this effect into consideration. You may want to compare the different types of correction with your own ears (use the "Save preset" and "Load preset" buttons to conveniently switch the plots).

Reply #112
News
New version released ( v2.6.9 ).
Minor improvements in DSP algorithms.

Reply #113
News
New version released ( v2.7.0 ).
The new version includes a new "High resolution" feature.
The "Stereo balance" switch is replaced by a slider.

Reply #114
NO TEST SIGNAL OUTPUT

Hello, I am trying to use Room EQ with Foobar 1.4.3 and ASIO interfaces, however I cannot have the test signal out.

My Foobar DSP set-up requires 96kHz sampling rate and an active X-over plug-in (Thuneau Allocator) because I am using multi-amps.
So, MathAudio Room EQ is followed by Thunea Allocator that takes stereo input and gives 6 channels output.

I have been able to configure Room EQ for getting mic signal from ASIO analog input, however the default output stream and also the default digital output look not sending the audio to the next DSP element in the chain and no signal output at all.

To check the problem, I did the same using the VST version of Room EQ. In this can, I can get the test signal output, but I cannot configure the mic input.

Anyone can help me?

Many thanks and kind regards, Andrea

Reply #115
Hello, I am trying to use Room EQ with Foobar 1.4.3 and ASIO interfaces, however I cannot have the test signal out.
Hello Andrea,

The Foobar2000 version of Room EQ allows you to measure your room. You don't need VST for measurement.
1. Select the "Room Measurement" radio button to activate the Room Measurement mode.
2. Select the correct mic input (left or right) by means of the "Mic input" radio buttons.
3. Click the "In/Out" button and select your input device.
4. Look at the "Mic signal indicator" and speak to the microphone. If everything is done correctly, the indicator will show you the presence of the mic signal. After that you can click the "Start measurement" button to measure your room.

Reply #116
Hello Andrea,

The Foobar2000 version of Room EQ allows you to measure your room. You don't need VST for measurement.
1. Select the "Room Measurement" radio button to activate the Room Measurement mode.
2. Select the correct mic input (left or right) by means of the "Mic input" radio buttons.
3. Click the "In/Out" button and select your input device.
4. Look at the "Mic signal indicator" and speak to the microphone. If everything is done correctly, the indicator will show you the presence of the mic signal. After that you can click the "Start measurement" button to measure your room.

Hello K2K, the mic is there as I clearly stated in my post. The mic is detected and well working.
Is Room EQ that looks not generating any test signal.

Pressing the Foobar In/Out button there is also the option to select the OUTPUT.
I first used the default, then I tried also the other reasonable good outputs, but NO SIGNAL OUT.

It is clear that with my configuration, Room EQ does not send its signal to the next DSP component in the audio chain.

Regards

Reply #118
Herein attached more details about my case
Room EQ sends the test signal directly to the selected output device. In your case it sends the sweep sound to "Dispositivo uscita digitale". Is it the correct output device? Room EQ can be chained with other foobar2000 components for playback only. If you wish to process the test sound by any DSP plug-ins, you cannot do it in Foobar2000, but you can do it in any DAW. For example, you can use demo versions of Reaper and Room EQ VST to process the sweep sound by another plug-in and measure your room. You can download Reaper from https://www.reaper.fm  You can also find some instructions for setting Reaper up at https://mathaudio.com/room-eq-faq.htm Save the results of your measurement as a SNR file. After that you can use it for playback in Foobar2000 together with any other Foobar2000 DSP components.

Reply #119
Hello K2K, many thanks. I did as you instructed and I got it working.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #120
Hello K2K, what a nice software. I use foobar2000 to stream music from a windows 10 tablet to a network player with 2 speakers and 2 subs. Can I use mathaudio roomcorrection for this setup, or does it only work with the soundcard of the tablet? The output menu in mathaudio doesn't show  the in foobar2000 connected network player. Can't find this use case here and want to ask this before I buy the measurement microphone.

Reply #121
Hello K2K, what a nice software. I use foobar2000 to stream music from a windows 10 tablet to a network player with 2 speakers and 2 subs. Can I use mathaudio roomcorrection for this setup, or does it only work with the soundcard of the tablet? The output menu in mathaudio doesn't show  the in foobar2000 connected network player. Can't find this use case here and want to ask this before I buy the measurement microphone.
Hello audioclassic,

First of all it is necessary to check whether or not your tablet is powerful enough to work with Room EQ. You may contact us at https://mathaudio.com/contact.htm and I will send you a SNR file. You can run Room EQ with this file on your tablet.  If you can play music without any interruptions, your tablet can perform all necessary calculations in real time. Alternatively, you can make the SNR file yourself by means of the sound card of your tablet (the quality of the microphone has no meaning because you will not use this SNR file for room correction).

You also need to click the "In/Out" button on the Room EQ's panel and check whether you can see your network player in the list of output devices. If the player is present, click the "Room measurement" button and check whether you can hear the sweep sound. If you can hear the sound, your tablet can be used to measure your room. If you don't see your network player in the list of output devices, you can temporarily use another computer (laptop of desktop) to measure your room and make the SNR file. Then you can use that SNR file on your tablet to correct your room.

Reply #122
Thanks for the answer K2K, I already tried to make a SNR file with the tablets microphone and speakers and that worked fine, so the tablet can handle it. But the network player, although connected to foobar2000 and working fine with music streaming doesn't show up in the output menu of mathaudio on the tablet, and not on my other big Wacom i7 tablet and not on my workstation laptop. So the conclusion will be that it can't be done this way, I think?

Reply #123
Thanks for the answer K2K, I already tried to make a SNR file with the tablets microphone and speakers and that worked fine, so the tablet can handle it. But the network player, although connected to foobar2000 and working fine with music streaming doesn't show up in the output menu of mathaudio on the tablet, and not on my other big Wacom i7 tablet and not on my workstation laptop. So the conclusion will be that it can't be done this way, I think?
Is it possible to temporarily use another audio or USB input of your network player to connect it to your laptop for measurement? If not, you can try to temporarily use demo versions of Reaper and Room EQ VST for measurement. It is possible that Reaper can "see" the audio interface of your network player. You can download Reaper from https://www.reaper.fm You can also find some instructions for setting Reaper up at https://mathaudio.com/room-eq-faq.htm

Reply #124
The network player has no other computer connection than  wifi or network cable. The usb is for music files only.  And Reaper doesn't show / see the network player either (although windows 10 does). So its not gonna work I ques.